“Nice garden but horrible room”
Review of Hotel Sheela

Hotel Sheela
Ranked #82 of 146 Hotels in Agra
New Delhi, India
“Nice garden but horrible room”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Excellent location (50m from Taj Eastern gate) and lovely garden but HORRIBLE rooms (smelly room, bedsheets with holes) and the worst lunch I had in 6 months in India... I really don't recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Excellent location - you are 2 seconds from the East Gate of the Taj Mahal.
We arrived on the train and walked to the ticket office to purchase tickets for the following morning. Then in the morning you walk 2 seconds to the East Gate and it is SO EASY! We had to take back a headlamp from security check in the morning and I was able to go to the hotel to drop it off and run back within 2 minutes to still see sunrise at the Taj. The garden area is a welcome treat anywhere in India.
Menu was reasonable and if you want a quiet place to eat then this is it.
Internet didn't work while we were there so we went elsewhere.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Switzerland
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this place as it was the top choice of LP. I have no idea what he had seen when he says spotless rooms. Rooms are with mold, dirty and depressing. There were dead insects on my bed. Moreover As a solo woman traveller I felt very uncomfortable with the staff especially the one with beard. The internet was not working and when I asked him the reason he was so rude and scary pulling me and showing me the notice on the wall saying hotel has no responsibility. I wanted to ask who is responsible then but kept to myself. Ok no internet, no signal on my mobile I had to inform homey that I arrived safe and sound in Agra. I asked him that I need to make a phone call of course paying and he said no chance and go out make a paid call. Outside is after 8 looks dark, scary, dogs around, and no one on the streets. I was so lucky that on that awful night that I met a Chinese gentleman at the door who let me use his mobile and send message to back home! I have never seen such a hostile people in India while traveling! Awful physical conditions are one thing and awful attitude is another!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Schlumpf1

Travellers are raving about these Agra hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Has a nice garden, rooms are average, wifi is wanting, location is good, the reception could havebeen more hospitable it is only a short walk to the taj but the ticket office is a ten minute walk away, the tourist office need to address this, it has to be remembered that this is india

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We booked this hotel because of the recomandations in "Lonely-Planet" and "Rough-Guide".
To be honest we expected much more! The room was small and the bathroom was really dirty. The whole room had a terrible smell (something moldy...), which restrained us from sleeping. And the sheets weren't as clean as discribed in the guides...
Dinner was horrible, everything tasted bad and it was very greasy (really not what we were used to in Indian food).
The breakfast though was surprisingly good. Great Omeletts and good chai masala.
The biggest plus is the location, incredibly close to the Taj Mahal (but you can't really see it from the hotel). And the garden is really nice and quiet.
Staff was okay and the Wifi worked good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pelzkugels
Esslingen am Neckar, Germany
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Yes, close to the Taj Mahal - but the ticket counter is a mile away so that benfit is gone...If coming to Agra again I think I will look for another place. Not very friendly reception when I arrived, unpleasant smell of the room. Havent tried the restaurant I have to say.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights a few years back and i still tell people going to india to make sure they book here. First, its right next door to the taj, second its cheap and third the restaurant serves some amazing food not to mention the amazing staff. If this hotel was double the price i would still stay here

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple