“Brilliant stay in a lovely hotel with friendly staff and drivers”
Review of Sonar Haveli

Sonar Haveli
Ranked #57 of 205 Agra B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was my first trip to Agra as a solo female traveler. So I was nervous before going, but there was no need to be! Sonar Haveli is a lovely hotel, very clean and well maintained (rare in India in budget hotels!). The price for the rooms is very good value for money as they are spacious, the AC is good and they are attractively presented. The whole hotel is very nicely decorated and is described as a "home away from home" which I found to be true. The place is very safe and is in a quiet place in Agra, but still only a short walk away from rickshaws. There were clean, nice towels and the bedding was freshly laundered.

The staff looked after me and gave me a lot of help planning my trip and really made my time in Agra very pleasant. Especially Mark who took me on a tour to Fatepur Sikri (well worth a visit) with his tour company Taj India Trip which I'd highly recommend. Their driver Raj is a very safe driver, friendly and knowleable and speaks good English. You couldn't wish for any better if you are looking for someone to take you around.

The hotel sells good food which is all home cooked and has large portions. The hotel had an auto rickshaw pick me up from the train station. True to their word the driver was waiting for me with a sign with my name on which was very re-assuring. I booked the same driver - Prem - for a tour of Agra for the day in his Rickshaw. If you don't want an AC car and want to travel only in Agra then you can't find better than Prem who speaks good English and explains the process for you at each monument to make visiting the city as a tourist relatively hassle free.

The atmosphere in the hotel was relaxed and friendly. I am very happy that I chose to stay there and would recommend it highly to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms are pleasant with good AC and they are clean and safe. You will sleep well even if you room fa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Sonar Haveli

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Sonar Haveli for 2 nights whilst visiting Agra. We were met with flowers,smiles and a delicious dinner under the stars in the private courtyard. What made the stay special was the friendly and helpful team. Thank you to Anil, the happy cook and cheeky Mark who also helped organize our ongoing travel arrangements.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The staff are extremely helpful, friendly, and funny-making sure you have everything you need. The price of an AC double room was 1000INR/night which included breakfast of unlimited eggs, toast, jam and coffee/tea. The room itself was spacious and clean. The do offer meals at the hotel-we had dinner on our last night and the food was delicious; the only thing is we didn't ask the price and found it quite expensive compared to all of the other restaurants we went to. It was a home cooked meal though with great company (one of the owners ate with us) so it was worth the price. The location was in a residential area as well so it was very quiet which we really appreciated-but just a short walk/ rickshaw to all the main attractions. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

a good place to stay in agra with a difference.in its structure and many other things.near to famous tajmahal .sonar haveli the name it self shows a structure of a big haveli.good food ,good rooms must stay here.think for first choice in agra.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights here and enjoyed it a lot. Especially the friendliness of the owners and the homemade food was great!! I really cant eat spicy indian food and they managed to cook it in a mild way. Thx for that! You can eat as much as you want.
As they just started they are open for suggestions. They have to work a bit on their cleaning. Our bedsheets weren't fresh when we arrived. But after mentioning it they were changed. They really want to led you feel like at home. We were welcomed with a flowerneckless when we arrived, which i really liked.
You can arrange all your trip through them (reliable). A trip to gwalior is worth. So dont miss that, if you have enough time.
Hope they will have a successfull start with their new business.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Was an amazing experience to have my friends stay at sonar haveli , a very peaceful setting and around area . The place itself is beautiful and calm . Staff very helpful and food is cheap and delicious . Defenately recommended place for stay .

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Sonar haveli is a true peaceful place with nice, big and beautiful rooms and lots of open area for area for sunbathe and to relax and chill. Not so far from Taj Mahal with excellent ratings. You can get great homemade food and internet works well. There is a nice meditation room as well for people to meditate and relax. Adil Khan the staff was so friendly and helpfull. I highly recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo