“How much!!!, give me the calculator, I'll work out the price”

Hotel Ashish Palace
Ranked #87 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Melbourne
“How much!!!, give me the calculator, I'll work out the price”
Reviewed 22 May 2009

Well it all looked promising at the start, easy phone booking and easy check in. This was a joy as we arrived after a 6 hour road trip from Nanital.

We asked for and were given a largeish family room for 2,500 IRS (this was the price quoted but not the price paid at the end) . Bit higher than we had been paying, but this was fine. Room was ok, bit tired looking but serviceable and the aircon worked (which is just as well considering the 43 degree Celsius days we were there).

Seeing the government seems keen on renaming cities, I think Agra should be renamed Agravation as it is filled with touts, scammers and anyone else that is trying to put it on. This isn't surprising considering the city has one industry, the Taj. Unsurprisingly the staff of the Ashish turned out to be almost as avaricious and blood sucking as the touts outside. One even demanded a tip was so I gave him one, "here's 10 rupees, go and learn some manners." But the most fun was when I was checking out. First there is the government taxes (sorry sir we can't do anything about that" and the usual service fee. I wouldn't mind paying a service fee if I actually got some service for it. But the real fun started when being presented with a bill for 17,000 rupees for a couple of days accommodation, a taxi to Delhi and some room service. One of their many "errors" calculating the bill was by adding a 310 rupee room service bill as 3,100, "oh sorry sir, sorry sir". I think he was most sorry about not getting away with overcharging. So I took control of the calculator and it worked out to be a more reasonable figure (still higher than expected but still better than what they wanted to be paid initially). What I suspect they do is present a very large bill in the hope that travelers in a rush will just pay it.

Anyway the best part of the experience is getting the hell away from the grasping staff and the hole that is Agra(vation).

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Eggplant_curry
, Director of Sales at Hotel Ashish Palace, responded to this review, 9 February 2017

Greetings from Hotel Ashish Palace, Agra !!!!

Thank you for taking out time to post your reviews on Tripadvisor. It is with regret that I note the disappointment with various aspects of attention, for which we sincerely apologies.

Your feedback is taken very positively, and seriously as it enables us to improve our services, which we endeavor to provide to all our guests. We sincerely apologize once again.

My team and I look forward for an opportunity to make your next stay a positively memorable one.

HOTEL ASHISH PALACE, AGRA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
NJ, US
Reviewed 7 May 2009

this place is filthy. The pillows, sheets and towels all have stains on them. The beds have hair on them from prior travellers. I spent the most miserable 2 nights here. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. The inside of the hotel is like a prison - very depressing.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank bwaseem

HOTEL ASHISH PALACE, AGRA

Travellers are raving about these Agra hotels

BANGALORE
Reviewed 12 December 2008

I am finding very hard to give rating 1 (terrible) for this hotel as this rating 1 is much better than that this hotel deserves.

If you see from every aspect, like room service, facility, manners of the room service guys, cleanliness, power cut off, water this is simply WORST.

The room service persons doesn't have sense of knocking the door before coming into the room.

Nothing is there in the Restaurent other than the high priced MENU.

Frequently power cut off during the whole night.

No water was given in the container provided.

The electric power points were malfunctioned. We couldn't be able to charge our mobile or laptop.

The AC was warming up the room in stead of cooling. The stabilizer connected to the AirConditioner was giving lot of noise and was placed outside like a lawaris.

The TV was given but the cable connection was only on paper. You can dream and see the channels much clearly rather than this TV connection.

The only intercom number given was 9 (reception) and 100 (room service) but the reception people hardly pick up the phone. The room service people can chat with you much in the expection of getting more tips but never give the service.

There are many more like dirtly towels, blankets etc etc... but have to stop...

IT IS STRONGLY ADVISABLE TO BE AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL SURROUNDING.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Nothing at all
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ASUDHIRK

CHICAGO
Reviewed 19 September 2008

The place is very near to taj..the rooms are well equiped and are pritty peacefull to stay..the staf here is friendly ,as they offered me discount..its a midrange hotel so not very expensive..the stay here was ok and peacefull.

• Stayed July 2008
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Hotel Ashish Palace, Agra !!!

Thank you for staying with us and then for writing so positively on tripadvisor.in

This is the response we really work for and would like from all our guests. It is the ultimate pat on our back.

We hope you come back again and give us another chance to serve you.

Aabid Khan
Manager (Sales & Reservations)
Mobile No. +91 7417979291
Email - sales@hotelashishpalace.com

milan
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Stay away from here. Look out: the price that they said to you when you arrived, when you're going out and you have to pay become bigger and bigger...

Stayed July 2008

Perth
Reviewed 14 January 2008

My partner and I stayed at Hotel Ashnish Palace in September 2007 and intend to return in April 2008 with 5 friends. I was looking on the internet for contact details for the hotel and came across these reveiws. My partner and I probably looked at 20 hotels before choosing this hotel, most looked flee ridden and had dirty bathrooms. We found the reveiws in the LP fairly out of date for most hotels. Like one of the other reviewers noted, Agra is expensive in Indian terms for even the most budget accomodation. We however did not lose sight of the fact that we were only paying $40 per night for two people - cheap by Western Standards. With food also an issue in Agra it was good to have a pizza hut (clean to Western Standards) within walking distance and a good coffee house. We found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly.................Overall I suppose it shows that travel is such a personal experience. ;0) We did used the big lounge area on one of the floors and rested for the day and had a beer. OK.... Hotel/Palace is probably pushing it and it is probably more a motel style accomodation but "for us" overall a good stay. Personally I might pack the spray & wipe for my next trip to India as most places could have done with a clean however it just kinda adds to the "Indian Experience."

Stayed September 2007

Dubai, UAE
Reviewed 9 January 2008

The experience of a person who wrote the review is exactly like ours. We checked out in our hour after our arrival there.
The room was dirty, I found hairs and fresh stains on the linens, the bathroom towels were dark grey color, they used to be white one day. When we told reception that the room was dirty their reaction was so normal, as it was a usual case there. The other room they gave us was the same. We left the hotel straightly and went to Man Singh, which was like a paradize after that dirty hole.
Try to find something else in Agra, really, the hotel is terrible and not new at all and very dirty.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)