Hotel Taj Plaza
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsvip roadbudget hotelticket officewalking distancetaj facing roomscomfortable staygatekm
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We prearranged a pick up from the train station which worked really well. The hotel is in a good location if you are visiting the Taj Mahal as it is walking distance. We booked a Taj view room and had a great view as promised. The rooftop restaurant also has a view of the Taj,

The room was dirty - the floor was very dusty and had rubbish including a used cotton bud on it, and the bedding did not feel clean. The shower was literally a basic shower head on the wall of the bathroom with no shower cubicle. The staff were not very helpful or friendly. The hotel was noisy at night due to location as it is on a road, and there are a lot of dogs barking.

We did not eat in the restaurant as planned for the view, as the overall cleanliness made us wonder about the kitchen.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a Taj View room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Zestfortravel
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We are long term travelers with basic needs - general level of cleanliness and enough space for our (minimal) stuff. Our room was plenty spacious. The cleanliness was debatable. The walls in the bathroom had lots of little bugs crawling all over. The tile was able to disguise dirtiness.

The wall in the bathroom went right into another bathroom, which is common in India...but the other room had like four people staying there. We called for hot water. It didn't come on after the supposed 15min. We called again. One shower had hot water. The next shower started cold...just as it was about to get hot the room next door started showering and my shower turned to a drizzle. I had to clean close to the gross walls to rinse my hair and continue bathing since I had started the process.

Bed was comfortable. There is a table and chairs as well as a few other surfaces to set stuff on, which was nice. We also had a TV. They were supposed to have wifi, but supposedly a monkey ate the cable. Does that even make sense?

When we arrived, two guys carried up our two tiny backpacks (I can walk hours carrying that thing, and it is carry-on compatible...meaning it is not big and did not warrant two men for two bags). As the first guy walked into the room he flipped a switch. They dropped the bags, walked to the doorway, and stared at us. We literally had no choice but to tip them both. So awkward. After we tipped, the guy showed us how to flip a switch to control the fan. WTF. Every time I came downstairs the luggage guys asked if I was checking out. Just because I'm downstairs means I am checking out? Did they need tips that badly?

The restaurant downstairs was good and well-priced. The restaurant upstairs was rarely open. One time I went downstairs to order chai. I asked if it was ok if I take the tea upstairs. They said I should go on back up to the roof, and they would bring it up. The tea never came.

One member from our crew spent about 15 minutes discussing with the front desk men about a city tour in their hotel car. The guy from our group came to tell us and confirm if the price was ok. We went to the desk maybe 15 minutes later to confirm we wanted to do the tour, and they said the car was being used. Um, why did you even waste our time??

The view from the roof is nice, but there are better views. They did a good job holding our luggage all day on our last day in town...but that really just means they didn't let it get stolen.

The location is good and bad. The good is that the street it is on is blocked to protect the Taj, which means no honking or craziness. Also good is that it is walkable to the Taj. The bad is that it isn't in a main part of town...there isn't so much around (relatively speaking).

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LifeDocumented
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We only stayed the one night and the rooms were comfortable and clean, though the bathroom was a bit of a let down will a lot of limescale and could seriously do with an upgrade . The rest of the hotel though was fine, the restaurant was good and staff very friendly and helpful. If you are staying in Agra for just a night and are looking for a cheap & cheerful accommodation then this is the place as the location is simply perfect.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Bev125
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This hotel is very comfortable, neat and clean and very well located on east gate side of Taj. We booked an AC family room with four beds. It appeared that hotel has invested good amount on all areas except the rooms. You may find a few glitches like heater not running, paint/plaster peeling off the wall, old plastic trays, problem in getting hot water quickly etc which if tackled properly, may enhance the coziness of the room. Also the bathrooms attached to family room are very small and not comfortable. We did not like the bathroom at all. Apart from these location is an important criteria where hotel wins many points. It has two restaurants, one on the ground floor and another on rooftop. The food quality is overall above average and service is good. It is near to Taj Nature Walk, Shilpgram and Tajmahal. Agra fort can also be reached by a rickshaw..

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank LucknowNawab
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I will attempt to be as fair as possible. I will start off with what little good there is.

1. The resturant at the ground floor is decent. The food is average to good, and the service is quick. I don`t know what the roof top resturant was/is like, I ate at the one situated on the ground floor.

2. The front desk has a good international dialing facility; the phone having an attached display with cost/time etc. The hotel has a travel desk which we used for a driver around agra and back to delhi. Both times the costs were`nt astronomical and from what I`ve gathered average for type of vehicle/service. But then I am an indian, speak the language and bartered a bit.

Now comes the not so good.

I had taken the non/ac room, and well, I doubt there is one good thing I can tell you about. The bed`s had minimal cushioning and even less in the way of blankets/covers. The bathroom had faucets and fittings that were rusted/crusted/slimy.

The water tasted like the sea mixed with effluent and burnt my eyes. The walls were crumbling because of leakage within, and so it all adds to the sad state of things. I`ve read and been told that the Deluxe A/c rooms are much better, have decent views etc. I guess if your dead set on staying here, they might be a safer bet.

The sleep quality wasn`t the greatest, especially because my room`s window was directly behind the neon hotel sign, which streamed right through the thin curtains.

The location is and advantage, perhaps a 5 minute walk. But you walk away from the Taj Mahal first, to get tickets and then towards it. If you leave the hotel super early, just before or right after sunrise, you`ll miss the hordes of touts, salesmen, beggars and the like.

Here`s what I think.

If your on a hope and a prayer when it comes to budget, and don`t care at all where you sleep, and mostly are just treating Agra to a one night stand with the Taj Mahal, then I guess you could stay here.

If your with someone special, and want to savor the entire agra experience,
pay another 500-ish rupees at one of the homestays that top the Agra Bnb list on this website.

Room Tip: I had a room on the first floor which was terrible, a non a/c. The other`s looked much the same on this floor. Perhaps they`re better higher up.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo