“All but the hot water”

Maya Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 209 Agra B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I am traveling a little different to most where I am arriving I a city and trying to find budget accommodation. My driver that I grabbed at the railway ration was kind enough to take me to 3 different hotels before I decided. The attraction to Maya was the combination of air con, tv and wifi. When I went into my first room the air con didn't work, so thy immediately moved me to another. Super friendly staff, as always here in India, comfy bed and everything, apart form the hot water, worked fine. The restaurant is top notch and the staff there are great, I ate only Indian food, including breakfast, which was just fine. Wifi worked great with good speed in my room and at the restaurant. One thing I have noticed is that travelers who find the staff rude, would probably find staff at the ritz rude. Not understanding what you are saying is not rude people. This place is certainly better than the similarly priced lonely planet suggestions, is close to the taj, but without the views of the taj. Peace

Room Tip: The three I saw were all fine
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Denis S

Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is a lovely budget hotel. It is less a homestay and more a hotel so don't expect a family life. It is clean the staff are friendly and helpful and well positioned near to the Taj Mahal. Only drawback is the tuck tuck drivers who have access to the hotel, including the restaurant. Once there our tuck tuck driver followed us upstairs waited for us and then sat with us for hours. He pressured us to go with him when we wanted to leave and got angry when we didn't. He made our stay in Agra very unpleasant. If you can be firm and tell them to leave I think this is better.

Room Tip: Ask for a view, ours had no windows but other rooms did. Also be wary of tuck tuck drivers.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Wendy12045
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

The most expensive hotel in India that I've stayed in, but also the worst one. Hot water didn't work and neither did the wifi (it wasn't only me that couldn't get it to work). Staff bordered on rude and unhelpful and the restaurant was overpriced. There was a rickshaw that belonged to the hotel (owners son?) which always tried to rip you off more than any of the others.

The positive was that it was located about a five minute walk from the West Gate of the Taj, which is perfect for sunrise visits.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank sezmac1
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Our rickshaw driver brought us here as we did not like the Lonely Planet guesthouse that we had chosen. Great location, just by the west gate of the Taj Mahal. The room was spotless, as was the bathroom. It is noisy but ear plugs sorts that. Wi-fi only worked downstairs by the kitchen. We had one dinner which was average in quality and expensive, but then Agra is a relatively expensive place. We also had one breakfast which was quite good. Home made bread and they offered extra bread and tea on top of the set menus we had chosen. A good choice and I would stay here again if returning to Agra.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicbo9
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The hotel's location is outstanding - it is very close to the Taj Mahal (near the West Gate) but not on the pedestrian-only zone (that's a plus).

The food was the best I had in an Indian restaurant, both in the restaurant downstairs (open to the public) and on the terrace (terrace restaurants seem a common feature of Indian hotels, and this was the best I saw in my month-long trip).

I paid 20 usd for a double room with AC, which is on the expensive side for Agra. The room itself wasn't worth that - it had no windows and the bathroom was grimy, with no hot water despite protests that it was working just fine. However, I thought the price was fair considering the location and food.

The service was definitely the low point. Apparently they have English-speaking staff on peak times, and people who can barely speak a couple of words the rest of the time - though I suspect their English got suddenly much worse when they didn't want to deal with guests. They didn't know the password for the WiFi on my floor and insisted it was the same as on the other floors - which wasn't true, as NOBODY on that floor could make it work (the guests had probably around 15 Internet-capable devices between them, and not a single one of them could connect). I stayed for three days and I never got an answer from the staff other than "It's working, you must be typing the password incorrectly".

In short, the room was average, the food and location were outstanding and the service was really poor - to me, that merits an overall "average" rating. I would still recommend it, just don't expect much help from the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed there for two nights in room no. 6 and really liked the room. We were given super clean white towels, clean sheets and even toilet paper without having to ask for it. Super clean room with everything functioning well. Only thing that would need attending is the air on unit which is very noisy.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brigit P
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Lovely place, we highly recommend it. Bright decor, good atmosphere, helpful staff, restaurants with great food (both Indian & western) including loads of breakfast options. The rooftop restaurant is really nice. Wifi connection even good enough for Skype in rooms. They helped us print plane tickets too. Rooms were clean, well maintained, had hot water.

• Stayed: August 2013