“lied about hotel prices”
Review of Hotel Kamal

Hotel Kamal
Ranked #89 of 146 Hotels in Agra
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“lied about hotel prices”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We had booked a reservation through cleartrip.com and got a price... but when we showed up the hotel 10pm they told us that they had given up our reservation and rented the room to someone else because apparently they said that cleartrip failed to notify us that the cut off time for check inn was 5pm... (checked with cleartrip and this is not there policy)... so we were quoted for a higher price and possibly for the same room. Rooms where your typical hostel indy.

Room Tip: A hostel room should be ~20usd but if you really want to avoid "changing prices" and not f...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Collingwood, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Chose this place for proximity to the Taj and weren't disappointed. Great views from the rooftop restaurant and less than a 5 min. walk to the gate. The hotel arranged two good tuk-tuk drivers to pick us up at the train station and we ended up going around to all the sites with them for the day. They were trustworthy and the lead driver had all kinds of "back way in's" for us to save money, if we wanted. Rooms not quite as fancy as they look in the photos, but simple and clean enough. It's the location you can 't beat. Rest of our review is similar as ones below.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I arrived to the hotel late in the afternoon without reservation and they gave me a small basic room, with only a bed and TV. I paid 850 rupees. The water was hot, but up to 80%.
In the 3rd floor they have a terrace with restaurant and with a great view of the Taj. The food is basic and with reasonable price.
My room was located outside in front of the stairs and I could listen to all the noise from the road because in front there was an open terrace.
They don't have room service. You have to get up to the 3rd floor to sit in the restaurant and have your meal. They don't give soap, only a white-grey towel which I recommend not to use.
They just give you the basic things. The price is because of the location: 4 blocks away from the South entrance to the Taj.
The managers were very helpful and service oriented. They also have a room where you can leave your luggage.

Room Tip: The ones that are on the ground floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sofmen7
Paris, France
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Welcome was okay. Room was very small and it seemed that the covers were not clean. Bed was extremely short. We wanted to buy some stuff from the shop opposite the hotel but they sold us expired products. The manager explained to us that this was not the first time and we believe that this should have been explained before not after. Otherwise great location and fantastic view of the Taj Mahal on the terrace. Good banana lassi.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank oliverdodd

Travellers are raving about these Agra hotels

Tofino
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Staff were all helpful and pleasant. Our room was very nice, seemed recently updated, very clean and good facilities (though some stains on bed sheet / towel). The view from the Rooftop Cafe is excellent, the cafe food was also excellent - we ate four meals there and all were very nice, cheaply priced and we had no problems. Very short distance from Taj Mahal, just turn right out of Hotel and the second street up takes you right to the entrance gate (literally a 5 minute walk). Hotel room price was also reasonable. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mike_and_conor
The world
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Listen its no 5 star hotel but it was perfect for us.

Very clean room and toilet. Flat screen tv. Hot water 24hrs.

Roof top restraunt.....dont judge a book by its cover.

Yes new tables and chairs are needed and a lick of paint...however its amazing just to sit and watch the Taj Mahal.....its the closet hotel to it ( I think). You will walk to it in less than 5 minutes.

The food is also amazing. They cook it all fresh to order and the Indian food is perfect. The young staff members are also very nice.

A few tuk tuk drivers hang about outside but its easy to just walk pass them and then they leave u alone.

We really loved it here and I dont know why it does not habe a better rating on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul T
London, UK
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed here for three nights, booked via booking.com at £20/night. I don't think that's astoundingly cheap but not too unreasonable. I picked it because it was both easy to book online and was mentioned in my guide book (the Rough Guide to India).

The room was clean and comfortable; somewhat unusually for low-mid range hotels I have stayed at in India, the shower actually had hot water, which was welcome. The room wasn't huge but generally was perfectly OK. The wifi worked well and was reasonably fast.

I picked this place because it of its location; I wanted to see the Taj Mahal early in the morning, and since I a) am appalling at getting up at the best of times b) didn't want to have to waste time negotiating with a tuktuk driver and travelling over to the Taj, I wanted to be in a hotel within walking distance. At that time in the morning you can't go in the south gate (which is nearest to the hotel), but it's about a five minute walk to the west gate.

The hotel recommended a tuktuk driver who took me round the various sights of Agra and its environs (Agra Fort, the Baby Taj, view of the Taj Mahal from the park across the river, Fatehpur Sikri, Akbar's mauseoleum, Jama Masjid) the afternoon of the day I visited the Taj and the following day. He seemed a nice enough chap and generally trustworthy, though he did insist on taking me to various shopping centres - clearly in the hope of commission - and I wasn't insistent enough to prevent it. Still, I felt better for being with someone the hotel recommended than someone I had picked up on the street.

The views from the rooftop restaurant are good but I wasn't particularly wowed by the food, although it's reasonably cheap.

The staff were helpful and they allowed me to leave my bag at the hotel after I checked on so I didn't need to lug it round with me until I caught my train.

I would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo