“Best hotel view in Agra”
Review of Hotel Kamal

Hotel Kamal
Ranked #51 of 143 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed 28 March 2014

highly recommended, it has the best view out of all the hotels and the roof top restaurant is very good and sells a variety of good food. Very popular for travelers. I had a double room and have no complaints atall it was very nice. The staff are great, friendly and helpful especially the man in charge
p.s there is no swimming pool but it wouldn't let me change it on tripadvisor after i accidentally clicked on it

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Great view from rooftop restaurant of Taj Mahal. I suppose that was the best thing about this hotel. Don't choose the tandoori chicken, it was terrible. Don't think the manager was very obliging about changing the breakfast menu a little, especially since we ate a good few meals there. Until we found the food was better outside.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Very good location and view of taj from rooftop restaurant, standard of food is ok pretty average, manager is great really good english and very helpful n polite wifi is bad always needs to be reset, if the monkeys in the open hallways dont keep you awake then some drunken people will defiantly do the job haha Overall good hotel would stay again

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We pre-booked two nights at Kamal as we expected to arrive in Agra in the middle of the night.
We got our 'deluxe room' at a discount rate of 1150R through an offer on Cleartrip.
The hotel has an amazing location, you can walk to the Taj Mahal in under 5 minutes, and you have an amazing view of the building from the roof-top restaurant. There was a wide variety of food of ok quality available with efficient service by Indian standards, the prices being are the low western side of things, I believe chai was 25R, dal round 100R.
The warm water worked, WiFi was not so good, we got towels when we asked for them and the state of the room was so-so. Agra has quite a large monkey population, and we had some action on the first night of our stay with them running rampage in the open air hallway of the hotel.
Overall I thought it was ok, but next time I would want a better deal at 800R, or I would arrive early enough to check other places too.

Room Tip: WiFi didn't work for us on ground floor, but we did get monkey action ;)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I booked a luxury room aand wanted to be close to the Taj. The first thing I noticed was that my sheets were not clean. They were quickly changed for cleaner if equally grubby sheets and pillowcases. This was done in such a matter of fact way that it almost made me feel guilty for expecting clean sheets. Though I suppose compared to the streets of Agra the original sheets could be considered cleanish.

Agra is the most dirty and filthy city I have ever seen. It is a national disgrace.

My experience of Agra started with my hotel pick up which is offered at 75 rupees payable directly to the driver. For the whole of the journey, which seemed never ending, constantly badgered me to hire him for a tour of the sights of Agra the next day. He was incessant and even came into the reception area to badger me. Even though I refused he was there the next morning. He bothered me so much that I even forgot my original plans which ultimately cocked up my stay in Agra and left me not wanting to go in another tuk tuk.

As for luxury I must have had to worst room in the building. The walls were paper thin and other guests were not adept at being quite or having any concern for fellow travelers. The room was dirty and smelly at every level.

True the restaurant has a good view of the Taj and the surrounding streets, which team with life of all types, monkeys, cows, camels and feral dogs. The monkeys are the most amusing. As for the food it seemed ok but I think the hygiene was spurious and I did get a few stomach grips while staying here.

At fist I thought the staff were off hand but by the second day I thought they were ok, just not focused on hotel keeping.

Despite the view I would not stay here again though there are worse places this is poor at a high price.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Hightrav3ller
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Clean and safe. Nice view from the rooftop patio. I was scared of the monkeys that were hungry for our food and had climbed up to the roof. The waiter scared them away. We watched a wedding parade by at night. It was a good experience.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We paid 2250 INR + tax for a so-called De Luxe room. The room is sort of what you expect at this price- not luxury but clean and functioning. Our room, 203, was next to the kitchen which caused a fair amount of noise till 1130pm or so.

It was chilly outside, but warm enough in the room, so fortunately we didn't have the use the blankets which looked fairly grotty.

The main reason for staying in this place would be the rooftop view, which is awesome, and the proximity to the South Gate, 2 min away on foot.

This meant that we could see the Taj as soon as we arrived, while having lunch on the roof, and after the visit the next morning (which, given the crowds, inevitably is fairly hectic) we could return to the hotel roof and enjoy a serene Taj view whilst recovering from the morning.

Don't rely on the hotel to arrange a pick up at the Airport (Railway station is probably ok). The car they sent never arrived and we took a regular taxi (300 INR) from the airport. The hotel initially wanted to send a rickshaw but I don't think these are even allowed into the airport (which is in a military zone)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family