“Excellent location”

Ranked #83 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We got the rooms at the new wing and the room is clean. It has AC and fan so its our choice which to use. It also has free wifi. The bathroom somehow is very hot, I think its because the exhaust fan is put on reverse. Its best that you close the bathroom door when you're sleeping. The location of the hotel is just perfect. It take us around 10mins to walk to the south gate of The Taj Mahal. On the rooftop, they have a restaurant and the view of the restaurant is The Taj itself

1 Thank Ancella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I had already heard many terrible things about agra and how there were not many great accommodation options for a budgeting traveler. There were two things that were fantastic about this guest house. One being Sunny who works at reception. He was fantastic and always happy to help, he even let me use his personal mobile to call my next hotel to say I would be late and helped me out with prices of things in Agra. There was another man at reception who was quite rude and I inviting. The second fantastic thing about the guest house is their roof top view of the Taj, although it feels that they could improve the roof top a lot and make it much nicer. The staff were also very friendly. The room was basic, but the bathroom was filthy and needed a good clean. I paid for their top room and feel that I pair way too much. The wifi did not work in the room and my "king bed", which was two beds pushed together was extremely uncomfortable and one of them didn't sit on the floor properly, so whenever I moved the bed would rock (just like an uneven table would). I've stayed in a few other guest houses in India that are a lot cheaper and have been much cleaner and cheaper. Over all, Sunny helped to make my stay pleasant.

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is basic, but cost us £5 a night. In terms of location It could not really get better!
A few minutes walk to the Taj Mahal, the roof top view is absolutely fantastic.
The man behind the desk throughout our stay was not only extremely helpful (fluent English) but also a lovely guy - chatted to us for ages and made us feel very welcome :)
As 2 young girls on our own we felt completely safe and comfortable in this hotel -
The ONLY complaint I have is that it is advertised as aircon, it was not air con so much as large fan which meant I was still very hot at night BUT I must consider the fact that I visited in June where the temperatures were well in the 40s. So probably at a cooler time it would have been enough.

Overall , excellent value for money! And would recommend.

Manchester
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a cheap room which had no window apart from where a fan was blasting the smell of hot putrid water from a broken air cooler into our room. It was an experience!

The fact that there was no hot water, just a dribble of coolish water from the shower did not matter too much as the room was so hot anyway.

We were happy for the early morning visit to the Taj to escape the hell of our room...unfortunately they lock you in the hotel until you wake the staff up.

The view from the scruffy cafe on the roof was very nice. The staff were friendly.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Genericrobot

Travellers are raving about these Agra hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We were aware from the tiny tiny price we paid that the accommodation here would be basic but were hoping for a 'cheap and cheerful' approach. Sadly, although the competition in Agra is stiff, there was no attempt made here to step up the game. With a basic and poorly executed menu, a game of cat and mouse with the staff every time we were after a drink and, with a roof top 'restaurant' with all the charm of a derelict dried up swimming pool (go figure) we ended up enjoying the very pleasant, cheap yet cheerful competition. Which I'd like to recommend you seek out over this place.

The Taj View here is indeed the only place you'll see it uninterrupted but you can see it and enjoy it perfectly well absolutely everywhere! I'd rather see it from somewhere where the staff look pleased to see me.

So the reason I've scored higher than my description suggests? - the price. Cheap as chips this place does its job just don't expect anything more - you'll be lucky even to get loo roll here :)

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank mridrid
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We booked one of the deluxe rooms located on the ground floor. Certainly well fitted out and very large ensuite bathroom was a surprise. The view from their rooftop restuarant is one of the best in Taj Cant, but I can't say the same for the cuisine - preety ordinary fare. Go elsewhere for dining - a nearby cafe was great for breakfast. Another annoyance was the constant power outages we experienced. This is of course endemic in India, but the lack of a backup generator meant we sat in the dark for long periods.
However, the hotel has been previously used by Bollywood film crews, and indeed there was a shoot occuring across the road when we left - fascinating. OK as long as your expectations are not too high this is a find choice, plus a very short distance to walk to the western gate to enter the Taj,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The location might be the only thing that is really good about the hotel. We had a deluxe room which was good, but the attached bathroom was in complete contrast to the room. Although the people at the hotel helped us with some small things in a friendly way, we barely had contact with them. As far as the rooftop restaurant concerned, it bids a great view on the Taj Mahal, but the food was terrible. To be really honest, an Indian friend of ours told us later that during low season hotels in Agra prepare bad food on purpose. As a result tourists might get ill so that they have to extend their stay in this rather boring city. I know it sounds really bad, but for my girlfriend an I it made sense since we both got sick after we left Agra. We cannot blame Hotel Kamal since we are not sure which meal caused it, but the food definitely didn't taste good. In all, the hotel is fine if you only stay there for the night, but we do recommend other travellers to pick their food carefully in Agra

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple