“Excellent Guide”

Vishnu Tea Emporium
Ranked #1 of 10 Coffee & Tea in Varanasi
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We met Vishnu while walking the alleys of Varanasi. He is a very likeable person and really enjoyed our initial conversation with him. We didn't have a lot of time to chat so we left and came back later to talk some more and ask where we could buy some beer:-) Vishnu wasn't there, instead we chatted with the owner of the clothing store directly across from Vishnu's. He was very helpful and said he would take me on his motorcycle to buy some beer. So, I left my wife alone to mind his store as there was no one else to watch it, and set out to buy some beer. Buying beer in Varanasi along the Ganges is impossible. He took about 15-20 minutes outside the Ganges area to a beer store where I bought beer. On the way back we had an awesome ride though the narrow alley's with his bike rather than taking the crowded streets. He did this with no thought for money and refused my offer to tip him. When I returned, my wife was sitting with Vishnu in his tea shop chatting. We arranged to meet Vishnu the next day for a tour of the Ganges area.

The next day we met Vishnu and a young friend who Vishnu said he was training. We walked the narrow alley's finding small temples that we would never have found and learning about Varanasi and the Hindu religion. I did nearly get gored by a bull while walking, so be careful of them. While walking through the alley's everyone seemed to know Vishnu and after we parted we would walk by places and were referred to as Vishnu's friends.

If you have the time, stop by his store, chat, have some tea. Also buy a t-shirt from his front across from him.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Vishnu is one of the most hospitable, genuine people I met during my time in Varanasi and makes a refreshing change from the heckling of the markets! Vishnu believes in good karma, and is truly passionate about his city and his culture. We chatted over chai in the shop, ventured out for lassis, and he taught me about the history of the area. Even if you are not interested in tea, drop in and say hello for Indian hospitality at its best.

1  Thank One_flew_East
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Vishny is a great host, best Varanasi guide, speaks a lot of languages and makes a great Chai!

He made a great tour across all Varanasi for us, showed us all the city. he believes in good karma)

1  Thank Vladimir S
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We met Vishnu on our way to the Brown Bread Bakery. We stopped to talk to Vishnu and he offered to take us on a walking tour. We organized it for the next day in the afternoon. He is very knowledgeable about the area and clearly loves what he does. His English was very good and he just wanted us to be happy. We would highly recommend using him.

1  Thank bikingmom
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

Vishnu is honest, friendly guy.
He speaks - besides English - French and Japanese and some Russian and Spanish!!
He will not only teach you how to make the best chai but also give you samples and tell you all the events and spots you can't miss in Varanasi!
A must-meet sweet guy :)