“Amazing!”

Sagar Guest House
Sagar Guest House
Ranked #23 of 240 Speciality Lodging in Varanasi
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Very nice staff, they know EVERYTHING about the city, terrific rooms and peaceful environment. A must! To enjoy the life of real Indian surroundings. In luxa road, next to anything that really counts.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kaaal

Reviewed 24 March 2014

It was relatively difficult to find this place. Thankfully a local pointed us in the right direction or we would have been walking a lot longer. Once off the main roads, India can be a maze, and this was located in the heart of one.

We arrived at 7am after a night train, and weren't able to check in until 12. We were given another room on the roof with 2 beds to rest until our room was ready.

Our room was very clean. The wifi was poor and was switched off at around 10pm. No hot water, but this is normal for India.

It is located around a 15 minute walk from the river and the main Ghats, so not a bad location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I had a reservation, but I couldn't have the room until after 9:30pm because someone else was still in there. I had to wait 3 hours, which sucked because I was very tired and would rather have been sleeping. It also sucked because the owner kept telling me weird, moderately offensive stories while I was waiting for the room to be ready.

I asked for a late check out (specifically 8pm) to make up for the long delay in my check-in. Owner said okay, 8pm, fine. At 8pm, he wanted to charge extra. I told him that wasn't what we agreed. Then, he tore up the money I had given him (which was more than I owed), refused to give back the change he owed me, and said 'I hope your train has accident, I hope you die'. Two other guests saw/heard his outburst.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank happynomad88
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The guest house is little bit hidden, but close enough to Ganga river and Ghats. The place is run by a very friendly Indian family, who advise and help in many cases.
For a reasonable price I got spacious and clean room with bathroom. There is also a cosy rooftop.
No bad surprises, highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jacob P
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Santos was vet helpful throughout our stay and not at all pushy. Gave clear help regarding tourist activities and was also very frank about what one should pay to rickshaw drivers etc!! Also interesting to talk to about state of India! (He's not happy). Rooms spacious and clean, with hot water (upon request).

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jgp1991
Reviewed 5 October 2013

the hostel keeper are very nice . they help us on travelling a lot and they gave many hints to us.
although the wifi only limit at the ground floor. the place are good. For me, the place didn't a big deal but the people are. .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Matthiew T
Reviewed 21 September 2013

That guest house was the cheapest I had in six weeks India travelling as low budget backpacker, room for two for less than 3€...
The room was clean and big, electricity and shower worked (no idea if also the hot water, who on earth needs hot water in 35°C?!?)
The bed was ok, it was quiet cause the hotel is a few meters away of the main road. But you can walk in a few minutes to the main ghat.
The family, who runs the hotel is very friendly and helps with any problem. We could enter our room early in the morning after our cheap pick up.
Wifi worked, we got the breakfast in our room.
I can really recommand this place for evey traveller on low budget (but check before, what's possible in Varanasi. When we were there, Ganges was to big, so there were no boat trips possible...)

Room Tip: Do you need a own toilet?!? That's the only difference...