“Luxury while aiming detachment !”

The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Bengaluru, India
“Luxury while aiming detachment !”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was in varanasi (kashi) for the trip of lifetime for the darshan of Kasi Viswanathar and Ma Ganga. I chose taj gateway based on previous experience in taj. The hotel is well maintained, good location. Has large gardens and a good restaurent. Staff are at their best. There are nice paintings related to the regional specials. Do not miss visiting saranath while you stay here. In additin to the evening aarti and temple visits.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, 20 June 2014

Greetings from the city of temples!!

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us.
I have shared your appreciation with the team as feedback such as yours motivates them to achieve higher levels of service.

D 91 542 666 0011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Turkish first
Delhi
Reviewed 15 June 2014

During my trip to Varanasi I started with a night at a Hotel on the river front and The Gateway the next day and each offered a experience that was unique and will recommend both if you have the time and inclination. Staying on the river gave a locational advantage ( sans comforts )and a feel that was what a lot of visitors come for and Gateway Hotel a haven which was in total contrast to the hustle and bustle of the old city. The Hotel is set on expansive grounds - I took my early morning cup of tea and newspaper and sat on a bench in the midst of a huge garden, trees and birds for company. On my way back to the room I met Saurav, the Yoga instructor, which led to one hour Yoga session ( complementary and on the lawns ) which was also so welcome. Breakfast was lavish with the chef happy to cater to some individual requests. I found the food to be good though in my opinion a tad expensive considering the hotel was in Varanasi.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room..
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, 16 June 2014

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here twice due to a marriage in the family. The property is grand and the restaurant and overall feel of the place is excellent.

However rooms are very Small and crying out for a makeover.

Breakfast is excellent.

Aircon does not work as you want it to. If you call for help they tell you the temperature is set and they cant change it. Bad if it is summers.

Restaurant is great. Pools good.

Overall a good place but needs renovation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the city of temples!

This is a small note to assure you that we have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the aesthetic look of the room, air-conditioning and courtesy and competency of the staff. The concern feedback has been duly shared with the team especially with the Executive Housekeeper, Chief Engineer and L&D Manager. We do realize that the sensitivity of associates towards the guest needs requires focus and to be included in the training sessions. We ensure for taking the corrective actions at our end.

It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products and services in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels and we would like to assure you that all steps will be taken to ensure a memorable stay of yours in future.

I look forward to meeting up with you in your next visit to Varanasi and assure you of our finest and gracious hospitality.

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel is great, in the middle of a green area, wonderful breakfast and excellent accommodations. During our stay, my father had a health problem and we called Compass tours, our agency (great!) and they contacted the hotel. My father is alive now because the personal of Compass and the people of the hotel. They were just fantastic. I would like to thank especially Mr Ajay Thakur who really went the extra mile to do everything to help and make us comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MarciaBilton
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, 29 May 2014

Zufikon, Schweiz
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Very comfortable and quite hotel near city centre. Very good food and good service in restaurant, as well as in the room. Beautiful swimming pool - just a perfect place to relax and recover from the stressy sightseeing tours in Varanasi.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Lovely hotel. - sweeping drive, beautiful gardens. A complete contrast to what is outside the gates! Very comfortable rooms, excellent staff. Restaurant has a la carte and buffet options - very reasonably priced. Swimming pool very inviting and we used it after sight-seeing. Small shop competitively priced but only open at certain times - check with Reception. Lifts could be slow.

Room Tip: Try to get one overlooking the gardens at back of hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, 21 May 2014

St Helens, England
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel is situated about 15 minutes drive from the Ganges and provides welcome respite from the hectic, but exhilarating, bedlam that is the old city. As you would expect from an hotel in the Taj group, the general service levels were good and the breakfast and dining menus offered a broad range from which to select. It was busy at breakfast as people returned from dawn visits to the ghats so some shortages of foods did occur although the waiting staff soon provided replenishments when these were drawn to their attention. The hotel will probably need re-decorating soon but this did not prove detrimental in any way. Finally, I must make special mention of the excellent travel advice provided by Mr Amar Kant Jha and of the arrangements made by him to ensure that our party had trouble free visits to the Ganges for the evening aarti celebrations and dawn boat ride, in addition to the airport transfers.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, 15 May 2014