“Average Option, Worthy Cause”
Review of Sarnath Cafe

Sarnath Cafe
Ranked #68 of 253 Restaurants in Varanasi
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 6 January 2014

On our way back from Sarnath we stopped for lunch. Apart from us there were only two other guests. The service was good, the place was clean, food was average. Getting down the narrow stairs to enter the restaurant was a little troublesome for my mom. The only reason we decided to stop here is because the proceeds is spent towards a worthy cause, education of poor children. The adjoining school, which was closed though because it was Sunday.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

My husband and I had a lovely lunch at Sarnath Cafe. We both ordered the Thali and it was fresh and tasty! The owners are very passionate about their adjoining school which helps over 200 children in the area, most of whom would not be getting an education at all. They also have rooms available as well, which we totally would have stayed rather than in Varanasi had we not visited this precious town towards the end of our Varanasi stay. Overall, they have a superb value in Sarnath, and worth a trip even if it's just one day!

1  Thank Liled99
Reviewed 14 March 2013

If you are in Sarnath make sure you go to Sarnath cafe! When I visited I tried the other lonly plant recommended restaurants and they were nothing in comparison.

I ate at the cafe everyday during my time in Saranath and LOVED everything I tried ( the Vegitarian Burritos, Chili Paneer and Bannana Pancakes were my personal favorites).

Four NEW western style rooms also opened for accomodation upstairs the day after I left. I will definitely stay there next time I'm in town.

The best part is that the money from the cafe and rooms helps support Buddha's Smile School, providing education to street kids from around the Sarnath community. Ask the owner if you can check out the school if your there during classroom hours. It's an amazing place run by amazing people!

1  Thank Caitlino1417
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Over the years, I have been traveling to Sarnath for my work, and I've gotten to know the family that runs this restaurant well. They are very conscientious about the food that they serve and have a wide range of items, from the standard Indian/Indo-Chinese fare (both delicious!) to more "exotic" items like American pancakes. This is a place that you can come to relax after the stresses of traveling in north India, and you don't need to worry about the cleanliness of the place!

1  Thank R0amingTurtle
Reviewed 9 March 2013

The food is very good; the kitchen modern and hygienic; and the ambience pleasant and comfortable. The menu is extensive. And all of the proceeds support the Buddha's Smile School, adjacent to the cafe. The school is one of the most remarkable charitable educational ventures in India, educating the children of street people, garbage pickets etc and providing them real futures. Eat here and you will have a great meal that will do real good. There are also four nice guest rooms of you want to stay.

1  Thank Jay G