“The bitter Hospitality”
Review of Hotel Siddhartha

Hotel Siddhartha
Ranked #154 of 222 Varanasi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The air conditioning is bad even in the new rooms. The bathrooms seems to be made new. The rooms that are renovated newly are good. I stayed in Room number 217 and it was nice. The room service is very slow and the most common food takes a lot of time to be delivered to the room. The staff has an attitude problem.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Bedroom was average, a/c wasn't working, bathroom was horrible with a giant hole in our bathtub, almost no light and the flush water was out.
Staff at the reception was unhelpful. Incompetent staff at the restaurant (we got meals we did not ordered or some people didn't even get anything...), food is of bad quality, not hygienic and expensive.
Monkeys in the swimming pool, no comment.
Location is inconvenient.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marie E
Reviewed 23 April 2013

What a weird hotel!? Really modern lobby that makes you think, yeah this is gonna be nice...then the bedrooms are average and bathroom foul, lots of appliances did not work and no a/c. The room itself was quite nice, but the tv and fridge did not work, no air conditioning and constant banging from ongoing construction work. The bathroom stank, really stank - the toilet would not flush. The 'swimming pool' was filthy, green and full of leaves - I would rather have a dip in the Ganges! It is also a rickshaw ride from the Ghats. I would avoid this place if possible!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2013

pro-beautiful pool! -- beware of prying eyes is construction site next door

Restaurant didn't speak very good English- my partner got very sick after eating here too-- but we can't be sure that this restaurant is the culprit

A little out of the way and hard to find for tuktuk drivers. It was about a 40 minute walk to the Ganges

Reception were very rude and very unhelpful they left us sitting in reception for two hours-- very very sick without communicating to us what was going on. They yelled at us and hung up on us once when we called reception - we also saw them yelling at other guests

BEWARE of overcharging taxi service

Wifi was down the first day we were there but working the rest of our stay.

Room was ok.
Bed was rock hard. They basically had to kick the air con to get it started.

Bathroom was filthy and dark

Bathroom in restaurant not maintained. I asked them to clean it so I could use it. That was a waste of my breath.

Room Tip: Perhaps view the bathroom before settling in?
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Thanks to the Maha Kumbh Mela, I was unable to get rooms in my usual preference of Taj Gateway or the Radisson in Varanasi. Given that I was just going to be there for 1 night, I decided to just find any place to stay and Hotel Siddhartha was it. The reception and facade of the hotel looks good but walk past that and you are faced with a hotel from the 70s and maintained as such. The toilets were clean but shabby, the room had mosquitoes in it and the food in the hotel gave me a stomach upset the next day. I hope the only time I have to stay in this hotel again is during the next Maha Kumbh, 144 years later!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2013

A nice Hotel directly in Varansi.The Hotel room was a big room, comfortable for normaly standard.Even bathroom was ok....only disturbend Moskitos even also in winter in rooms.Even mold smell was at our floor.Matratze was a bit hard.
Rooms were cleaned.Good room service , food was ok......you can get special alcoholic drinks and even also international food.But if you have to change money try to do it by another place instead of hotel...rates will be to less.

Room Tip: Check the rooms before you like to check in
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I took a room with triple Bed (although i wasn't happy with the condition of the room and as other hotels were all full, me and my friends decided to stay there). I checked in on Friday night and i was to stay there till Sunday afternoon. But i was told that they had another booking on Sunday and i was told that i would be given a room only if i can checkout before Sunday morning 0800. I agreed for this and a tariff was agreed.

There was a surprise when i checked out at 0800 in the morning. The receptionist was not the one who was there at the time of check in. He charged me double the agreed tariff. I other receptionist who had initially committed for the tariff was not reachable.

Poor room maintenance. Power goes off every often and it takes a long time before they switch on the generator.

Very Bad experience. I felt i could have tried couple more hotels before sticking on with this.

Room Tip: "Please Avoid"
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends