“PANORAMIC VIEW OF THE HOLY RIVER”

A Palace on the River, Rashmi Guest House
Ranked #26 of 79 Hotels in Varanasi
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I visit Varanasi twice a year for allmost 15 years. I just came back from my last visit. I stayed in Rashmi Guest House last July and I enjoyed my stay very much. My room was clean and confortable with a beautiful window showing the river (even though it was not the most expensive room). The staff was very friendly, the service was good (they even opened the restaurant especially for me when I came back late at night). I tried to book this January as well but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked.
I just went to the roof top restaurant to enjoy the good food and the fantastic panoramic view of the Holy river.
If you are looking for a good place to stay or dine in Varanasi, this is the place.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Hagit_Amram
There are newer reviews for A Palace on the River, Rashmi Guest House

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We came across this hotel after escaping a truly horrible experience at a nearby Guesthouse. This hotel is in a perfect location, the staff are efficient and helpful, our room was clean and comfortable - though smallish. Wifi signal was not available in the room, but the amazing view on the Ganges made up for it... only downside is the price - very expensive for what you get, but I would definitely go back - and the food at the rooftop restaurant was really nice, strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank citedusoleil
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed for two nights in December. If you are visiting Varanasi to experience the
Ghats and life along the Ganges, then this is the place to stay. The staff was very helpful. The rooms are small, neat, and clean. If you visit in winter, there is no heat, so be sure to pack warm clothes. Our room overlooked the Ganges and we were not disappointed. the rooftop restaurant has a magnificent view and the food is quite good. The price is a a bit high, but the location was worth the extra cost.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This hotel is right near Dasaswamedth Ghat on the Ganges. We stayed here two nights. Thought it is right in the thick of the Ghats and right next to the nightly Aarti, and though we had an unforgettable experience, in hindsight, we would have preferred only one night here. There is a rooftop restaurant with safe food, but like most of India, cleanliness of the restaurant is not a focus. You can get beer and a good meal though. In December, the fog and dampness is chilling. We asked and finally received a small heater which barely helped. Our room overlooked the Ganges, was clean, but the size of the room and adjoining shower/toilet is really tight.

The desk service was very helpful in getting us a last minute drop off at the airport in a roomy comfortable car with good drivers at a reasonable price. Like most other hotels, advertised internet computers did not function.

Room Tip: Ask for premium to get a window on the Ganges.
1  Thank bbestnyc
Reviewed 30 December 2011

The reason to stay here is the location on the river. We had a view from our room and from the restaurant terrace.

The room/bathroom was extremely basic and the price is far too high which may be why you are required to pay in advance.

Good restaurant.

Helpful reception with very quick responses.

Room Tip: For the price I would insist on a Ganges view.
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Stayed for two nights in December 2011. Excellent restaurant on top floor both in terms of price and quality of food - no lift available which will keep you fit walking up several floors to get there. Staff friendly and efficient. The excellent location allows you to soak up the atmosphere of Varanasi. Would recommend.

1  Thank Sictransit
Reviewed 29 December 2011

As other reviewers have mentioned, location is the best feature of this hotel: steps from the river, smack dab in the middle of the roughly 1.2 km wide stretch of Old City ghats favored by pilgrims and tourists alike. The hotel also features a popular and appetizing rooftop restaurant with some of the best views along the water. Rooms are cramped but very clean and well-appointed; my Superior Deluxe room had comfy beds, a mini-fridge, a flat-screen TV, and a small wardrobe. The furnishings and décor are Indian aesthetic, similar to what you might find in the suburban homes of upper-middle-class Indian families. Service is okay, nothing special.

However, you pay a considerable premium for these pluses, and for that premium, Rashmi does not always deliver. Although my bathroom had a shower head, the water was sprayed so diffusely that it was impossible to use; I ended up just taking bucket baths the entire time I was there. With two out of three showers, I also ended up running out of hot water a couple of minutes into my bath. Normally I don’t mind either inconvenience, but for $125 USD plus tax I expect a bit more than a lukewarm bucket bath on a cold December morning. The wireless internet also did not work from my room; I had to go up or down one floor to get even a weak reliable signal. Some of the light bulbs in the room were burned out and were never replaced after I pointed them out to hotel staff. Though I personally wouldn’t deduct a point for this because I’m accustomed to noise, it’s also worth noting that given the area and the weak soundproofing, rooms can be extremely noisy depending on the activity going on outside (neighbors, howling pariah dogs, street traffic) and down the hallway (other guests, visitors climbing up and down the stairs to get to the restaurant, hotel staff constantly cleaning the floors).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo