“Great location and Fantastic view” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Ajay Guest House
Ranked #39 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Cordoba, Spain
“Great location and Fantastic view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

It has been a fantastic experience, I recomend all guest go here to enjoy the authentic Varanasi. Very polite people, clean rooms and a good price. 24 hours electricity (It is very strange in India..), but the best thing is the views the hotel has.

Room Tip: The best views of Varanasi
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 390john390

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

I was lucky enough to find Ajay Guest House on my first night in Varanasi.

the view from my beautifully balcony room is stunning, right by the river side you can see the whole way up and down the river with the sun rising at over the river.

30 seconds walk from the gats and 5 minuets from the main centre of the city.

The staff were more than helpful and the rooms were charming and clean.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ruaridh123
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

We thank the staff of the Hotel (Mr. Dinesh in particular) for their commendable service and praiseworthy etiquette and address that they extended to us during our sojourn there last week.
The hotel is neat and clean and well located on the bank of the Ganges. The hotel personnel are responsive and well mannered

and always try to provide good services to the visitors.

Family of Mr. Gupta and Mr. Roy.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank utpalkrgupta
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I had 2 night prepaid reservation here and they sold my room. At first they said it was being cleaned so would we wait in their restaurant and have a beer. That was just a waste of time. They offerred me a dirty, filthy alternative at a differrent location. We refused and then we were led to another hotel ...quite similar to the first. We felt trapped. They are a lbunch of con artists ready to shake down the tourists. ANd ohhh...it was filthy and the windows had holes in the screening "patched" with newspapers so all the bugs, mosquitoes and geckos could get in and share the room with me at night.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank kmf6

Travellers are raving about these Varanasi hotels

Byron Bay, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

There wasn't a lot to love about this place, but I'll start by giving it my best shot. To be fair, the guesthouse is well located right in the centre of the ghats and close to all the "ghat action". Some rooms do also have good Ganga views. I was also there during the Kumbh Mela which probably made it an even bigger rip off than usual as the hotel staff kept reminding us that they could charge high prices during this time and plenty of other people would pay it (which was probably true). This is where the love ends. The room I ended up in, for $40 per night, was slightly bigger than my single bed, but did have a view. It was grubby and worn and looked like it was in need of some TLC. It took me 2 days and 3 cold showers :-( to finally get some hot water. Two different boys came to fix it and on each occasion fiddled around with it for awhile before slipping out the door. Apparently they didn't know what was wrong with it. Finally, it was revealed to me that the switch was in someone else's room and it had been turned off. And alas, finally it was switched back on. The other thing that was very annoying about this room was that it filled with bugs and mosquitos every evening which proceeded to annoy, bite and keep me awake. And then each morning I would walk out my door to a trail of monkey poo up the stairs which would often not be cleaned for hours. Whenever I attempted to get any service from the staff, I was met with a "you must have mistaken me for someone who actually gives a damn" attitude from the staff, which would generally have me either doing whatever I needed doing my self (sweeping the bugs/poo/God knows what else away) or seeking solutions from other hotels. So, between the crappy, over-priced room, the bugs, mosquitos, cold showers, poo and incompetent staff, I wasn't a happy camper here and was glad to finally bid the place farewell, never to return again. I would advise anyone else not to bother. You can't find anywhere worse than this place. This IS the bottom of the barrel. ANYWHERE else will be better. Hope your stay in Varanasi was more pleasant than mine - it's a great city!

Room Tip: Seriously, just do yourself a favour - just don't stay here!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lisa_om1
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

The Ajay Guest House or Palace on the Steps (same complex) is perfectly situated on the river at Ranamahal Ghat. We arrived after dark and were very glad of the airport pick-up we had asked them to arrange. The car was met by hotel staff who took our bags and led us through the narrow lanes to the guest house.

There is a range of rooms available for different budgets – the more expensive ones are close to international hotel prices but, if you would rather spend your money on a stunning Ganges view than on sterile sophistication, this could be the place for you. You are definitely paying for location here – the ambience is guest house rather than hotel but it’s a well-run guest house with motivated staff who go out of their way to help you. There is also a roof-top terrace restaurant with river view, which catches the morning sun. The food is all freshly prepared and of a very good standard (better than fancier hotels I’ve stayed at – top marks for the fresh Palak Paneer, omelettes, pizza, pancakes and great chai).

The guest house has its own generator so you’re not at the mercy of the city’s frequent power cuts and can get a hot shower (or run your a/c) at any time. There’s also free wi-fi (signal doesn’t reach all rooms).

If you want to get oriented or take a casual tour, a number of the staff are happy to accompany you (fee at your discretion). We were guided by Lalit who is a friendly young man who speaks good English and is keen to share his considerable knowledge of the local history and Hindu culture – this was a great way to see the important places and understand their significance without joining a formal tour. Special thanks also to Ricky who led us through the maze of streets to an optometrist and acted as translator without expecting any payment. We felt like part of the family after spending a couple of weeks here!

Room Tip: We had booked a Heritage Room online but decided to upgrade to another option on arrival. Our room...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JAPAN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

I stayed this hotel 4 night. I could see beautiful ganga view from roof top when I had breakfast and lunch. And very taste good . I think this place is best in varanashi. I come back again. The hotel room is clean and every one is good. I recommend all my friend . The hotel staff is very friendly and kind. There is person who speak Japanese. It is useful for me . And There is dog .karu is very good dog.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo