“Nice room but there are better options”

Ramada Plaza JHV Varanasi
Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Madrid, Spain
“Nice room but there are better options”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Location: far from the center. If you are lucky it's a 15 minutes bumpy ride. If you get stuck in traffic it can even take 30 minutes.
We had a club room (which coste double than the standard room but is definitely worth it). The room is nice and new. The club room was at the fifth floor so it was very quite. The person in charge of the room was not only very nice but also very competent. Other 2-3 persons working at the hotel were very nice. They have a nice pool (althoug it's more for showing than for swimming as the deepest point is approximately 160cm). The gym is ok. Breakfast is great. But here is where the positive things end.
We arrived in the afternoon from Kahurajo and I had made sure to underline when reserving the room that I needed a room with a King size bed (and not twin beds) as my wife and I were travelling through India for our honeymoon. I also sent them an email the day before to remind them of all that. So, we get to the hotel and they apparently did not find our reservation (luckily I had a printout and I had the email exchange in my phone thus I obviously showed it to them).
The receptionists didn't seem to speak great English (a bit of a strange thing for a 5* hotel in India). She told me that we had a nice twin bed room. I declined the offer and said that I wanted a room with a king size bed as per reservation. Now, after a 30 minutes hassle they brought us to our room which was... a twin bed room. I pointed out (not that gently any more) that this was not what I had booked and she said that she would put the two beds together in order to make a single bed as they were at full occupancy. I, at this point quite irritated, repeated that we were on honeymoon and firmly demanded a King size bed. A miracle happened and it turns out that they did have an available room with a king size bed.
For three days I have had bad experiences with their staff at the reception, they are slow, incompetent and speak poor English. On top of it, they always have 2-3 trainees behind the desk (maybe they should consider training 1 person at a time). So the trainee would pick up the phone if you called or if you directly addressed the front desk. As the trainee did NEVER know the answer, another person would ask you to repeat what you just said. Once or twice that's ok but to have to repeat what you said every time you address the front desk is really annoying. I once called to ask something about the internet: The first guy did not understand so he would refer my call to his colleague with whom I had an absurd conversation (I was calling from my room and asked him a question about the business center and he would reply the following: "room key not working? Please come to reception (of course he could see that I was in my room)". At this point I just laughed and asked him to pass me on to a colleague who had a reasonable command of the English language.
This is just one example but I could go on for hours about what that front desk is like. After the second day I was obviously close to lose my temper and, in order not to lose my flight on a Tuesday morning, I decided to settle my bill on Monday evening. Of course it took them an hour to prepare the bill... The day after, I unfortunately still had to pay for 2 things I had taken from the minibar. I had to renounce to my breakfast as it took them another 30 minutes to figure that out (although I had filled in the form and made the calculation for them - HOPELESS!).
I have more stories but I do not want to bore you. All in all, the infrastructure of the hotel is good the service and the politeness of staff is bad (you get to the restaurant in the morning, say 'good morning' to the two guys standing there but all they do is look at you). Only once 3-4 staff members smiled widely: I was just getting into my cab to leave the place and had just given a tip to one of the staff members which are really nice. The hotel gives me the impression of being a hotel for business travellers. In Varanasi, the comfort and quiteness of such a hotel is very much appreciated after a long day at the gaths. But the management of this hotel should definitely be improved. I am sure there are other options (Radisson, gateaway, ...).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Had to change our stay in Varanasi due to the Ganga flood, we decided to go to Ramada Plaza, the room is nice and comfortable, the location is very far from the ghats (30 minutes by autorickshaw, between 150-200 rupees). Breakfast food has no very good quality, porridge was the worst I've ever tasted in India.

We saw a rat walking on the roof in the restaurant.

There is no free wifi in the rooms

Visited August 2013

Room Tip: They are making renovations, so ask for a room far from the noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 4 September 2013

At first, it looks like almost a luxury hotel, the room is very nice and big but the bathtub was old and broken in some places. They are refurbishing the hotel and they do no replace a bathtub, incredible! Personnel at the reception was a bit unexperienced and slow, seemed annoyed when I was checking the bill which had no mistake by the way.
Those are little things that ruin an appreciation. An objective fact: we found it was too far from the center.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tarnina
Varanasi, India
Reviewed 29 August 2013

i stayed here on a free one night stay as part of their riviera membership.
this hotel sleeps..most of the time the hotel remains empty..
on checking in to the hotel, they gave us a bad time on giving us a room..half the hotel is on renovation
the restaurants are being renovated.
the worse thing is the staff, which are arrogant,and rude.
one can skip the hotel till it is totally renovated.
i wont be returning again to the hotel ,though i have their membership for a year..

Room Tip: there is almost nothing to advice anyone...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Lucknow, India
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel while on a business trip to Varanasi as Radisson & Taj were unavailable... Room was good though AC was not working and after complaining they did changed our room after 3 hours. Ordered room service and food was served cold tasteless. Though morning breakfast had not much option but we managed to fill our stomach.
Service and front desk in particular were poorly managed. Would avoid visiting next time.

Room Tip: Please check AC before check in.....
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Nice hotel, excellent ambiance. Polite staff. Should provide more Variety in Buffet and it should be a daily service. fully satisfied. if Hotel can provide more south T V Channels it will be excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel while on a business visit to Varanasi. The hotel is very well located and has nice ambiance. The rooms and the service was good except for the Restaurant where I was not really happy with service and attitude of the staff. The food was very average at the restaurant and was exorbitantly priced compared with other eating options in the surrounding area.
A complimentary internet would have been a nice thing to have in a package considering Ramada is a chain of hotels. They charge odd 150-200/- Rs per hour for internet access which is lot too much considering we have dirt cheap internet plans available on our cell phones these days.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business