“Peaceful and fun”
Review of Carltons Plaisance

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mussoorie
Carltons Plaisance
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Mussoorie
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I had a chance of staying at cartons recently and i found it a very peaceful and nice place to be in. It has a old world charm to it. Never did we feel that we were living at a hotel.. It was like living in a well furnished house with helpers all around to facilitate you.

Great service, well maintained and very nice food.
All in all a splendid experience. It was my first holiday in 8 years and carlton made it special..

Also the fact the holiday was planned by my best friends for my birthday made it extra special.

Definitely would like to recommend the hotel to people who are planning to visit.

Room Tip: Choose the suites...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank divanshu_arora

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I first visited Mussoorrie as a child with my parents and have been going back there almost every year since the year 2000. We usually stayed at hotels on the Mall simply because of few of them were owned by friends. But this year when we planned the trip my wife and friends wanted a change from the usual hotels I frequented.

I was very skeptical about staying at a new place because my usual hotel had great service. I found Carlton in a quick search on travel websites. Read about it on their own website and saw the images. I read reviews of the hotel which ranged from exceptionally great to downright degraded (someone even called it a bhoot bangla!)

I talked to the owner Ms. Anu Singh and felt at ease with her. Boy am I glad we stayed at this place. The property is stunningly beautiful, super large and comfy. It has an old world charm. The staff is very courteous and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. We were a party of 5 friends (including 2 couples and a stag) so we initially reserved 3 deluxe rooms but upgraded to 2 suites and a deluxe room when we saw the place. The suites were right next to each other with a common lounge area. One of the suites opened into a very luxurious living area while the others entrance was from the large dinning area. Both the suites overlooked a very neat garden. The deluxe room was also very spacious and comfortable. The suites had 'bhakris' were you could burn some wood that made the rooms very cosy.

The staff (lead by the super efficient and ever smiling Usmaan) did everything they could, and more, to make our trip special. The service was impeccable, the food great and the ambience decadent. I love a lot of eating joints in Mussoorrie and always make it a point to visit them on my trips there. But this time we ended up eating all our meals at the hotel.

One of us accidentally forgot to return the room keys. We realized it when the owner Ms. Anu Singh called us some 20 minutes after we had left and were on the Mall. The issue was again sorted out within seconds and without us facing any inconvenience.

I would always prefer to stay here on my next trips. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank divyadeepsharma
Reviewed 8 October 2013

it is at a nice location & big in size they have parking garden & heritage building. after viewing the reviews on ta. i choose this hotel and go straight because it was not peak season. but what i see there it was in horrible condition over rated but one thing in my mind was that what people see on their vacation. i enter the property, 5-10 minutes no body come near me at the reception counter the smelly rooms garden in a bad shape no cuttings or maintainace the furniture is too old nothing look like heritage they only earn money but don"t spend on it to earn honestly i thank GOD for not book it on net or my phone conversation with them.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank paramjitsingh
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Carlton Plaisance ! Plaisance I was told means pleasant , pleasing in French. Just as the name the hotel is one of the most beautiful properties I have ever been . Staying there was a complete holiday. Everyone for the owner to the staff were very helpful.
It's a haven for bird watchers, I specially bought a book on Uttaranchal birds,and found many birds, I was told that in winters more migratory birds come . This has been one of the best holidays I have had, valve for money..
I will definitely recommend it o all my friends.

Room Tip: The suites are awesome, but I was on a budget so took the deluxe room, really good and big.suited me...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Yana S
Reviewed 1 September 2013

It was a rainy, misty, magical morning. I set out from Chamba in Uttarakhand (not the better known Chamba Valley of Himachal Pradesh). From Chamba, we went up to Dhanolti... myst covered the mountains, and yet, from the clouds emerged the stunning greens of pine forests, now and then, now and then.

Maa was waiting for me at home on Carlton, Nussoorie, and yet, s I travelled, I was wondering, what could I take for her. There was nothing to be found on the road, till the driver poited out to me some small apples... "Juicy, they are," he said. I bought soem for Maa... I was at least not going empty-handed!

Mussoorie has been ravaged, as all hill towns have been, but it is still better than Shimla, and despite the traffic problems, one finally reached the grand portals of Carlton Plaissance... 120 years old, heritage oozing out of its every timber.... and then...

The grand old matriarch... Shaam Singh, who I came to know in 1993 and came to admire as Maa. "Ao mere bacche"! she greeted me with a hug.

Everything has remained inchanged, the crescent verandah emanating out of and eading to the Room No 10, with its door-top ornamented by coloured glass, designed just so that when the first rays of dawn grace the glass panels, they form a tiny rainbow on the opposite wall....

The same old photographs of an era that has died and left us wanting to get back there... the wedding of Maa and the photographs of Nehru and Patel blessing the young couple.

But what struck me as the most grand spectacle, a luxury that one finds only in such heritage propertied, was the dining hall. It was a cold and rainy day, so the beauty of the outside was closed to us... and that is why the inner beauty of a place where the family gathers... a table that can sit 12 guests, with Maa at the head of the table... the exquisite furniture speaking from the cradle of history, fine crockery, the effeicient and obedient and quiet waiters, the fabulous food.... desi, contienental and Italian... and yes, magical... that is what a visitor must educate oneself to savour at Carlton Plaissance... it is not a hotel, it is an ancient home, with the woodwork carrying the aroma of age and wsidom!.

Of course, if one goes during summers, one can still find Maa, Shaam Singh, besides the charming and bubbly Anu Bhavi (Anu Singh), her husband Ajeet Singh, with his big stature and grand white moustaches... this is a world that is here from the last 120 years, this is the world that immediately absolves the need for a TV set or a tablet... here you connect with nature, not Facebook.... that can come once you have left Plaissance.

Ijust loved it... and you will love it too.... TRY!

Room Tip: If you want to walk into the garden frist thing whe you wake up, take a room next to the lawns... bu...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank sujitsikkim
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We spent the night of 15th August 2013 at this place. Perfect, I would say.

We reached Mussoorie in the afternoon and straightaway went to this place. We were in constant touch with the owner of this place over the phone. She was giving us directions right from the beginning. Excellent mannerism and professionalism and you will feel as if she is your family member. Loved talking to her.

The property was huge with greenery all over the place. Huge and well maintained garden. Ample parking space. Everything seemed so right. Then, when we entered, we could feel at home. It was a Britisher's palace kind of place with enormous size rooms and washrooms. It was all woodwork. We got the Room No. 10. It was huge and above all it was super CLEAN. There was not a single stain or mark anywhere. Excellent maintenance.

The two guys at the reception, one was Bobby and I forgot the other guys name, were at their best. Superb hospitality. Always on their toes. The cable TV was not working in our room, he immediately set it up.

I would give the place a thumbs up and the staff, a standing ovation.

Love to go there again.

Best Regards
Dev

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank devpriyo
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We visited the Plaisance for a five night stay in May 2013, to get away from the city. The property is quite pretty and the staff are generally nice. It is a modest hotel and a good place to take some time off. It is relatively easy to get into town. If you want a low-key place to stay, this would work well.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple