“Tandala suite very cute.”

Mara River Safari Lodge
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Gianyar
Melbourne, Australia
“Tandala suite very cute.”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Our Tandala suite was very cute, African tree house style. Nice place to chill after a busy time in Legian, Bali and return trip from Gili Islands. When the safari park closes at 5.30pm it's all yours, be careful where you venture, the night safari and feeding is fun. Photo opportunities with baby animals and very entertaining and educational animal shows to see including an elephant conservation show. Fine dining or food court options for lunch, fine dining only for dinner. Have a massage and relax by the pool or just wander around the park at your leisure. A couple of days to chill out, would recommend!

Room Tip: Tandala suites have a balcony overlooking a savannah type environment which accommodates zebras, rhi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
MRSL HOTEL M, Manager at Mara River Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear Quinns5

Thank you very much for your patronage at the Mara River Safari Lodge, Gianyar – Bali. It is through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously improve our standards.

We are more than glad to learn that you found our products and services to meet your expectations during your recent visit .

It is our priviledge to be of service to you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Mara River Safari Lodge, Gianyar – Bali in the future

Muhamad Arief Rahman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Greeley, Colorado
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I was really looking forward to staying at Mara River Safari Lodge for two nights. However, I was disappointed with several things. To start with the positives, the idea of the hotel is actually very cool. To open your curtains and see animals roaming about freely is awesome. Also, it was a lot of fun to throw carrots to the animals from outside of our room. Every morning we awoke to zebras wanting some carrots. We also had this awesome bird that hung out right outside our window the first day. I really enjoyed watching him up close! Another positve is the free breakfast that is included with your room. One day it was a free breakfast buffet with many choices (we were impressed) and the next day was ala carte. Lastly, if you stay a minimum of two nights you are given a one way transport either to or from the airport. This saves some good money because the hotel really is pretty far from the airport (or any other tourist attractions for that matter).

Now on to the negatives... First of all, I expected more of the room. The room looks way better in the photos online. Also, our room had an ant problem in the bathroom. My husband put his travel bag with his toiletries by the sink after we first arrived and then we went to go look around/have dinner. When we came back, my husband went into the bathroom to brush his teeth, not noticing at first that there were ants crawling all over his bag and even on his toothbrush!! So, my husband brushed his teeth and it was when he looked at his toothbrush AFTERWARDS that he noticed the ants crawling on his toothbrush and everywhere on the right side of the sink. You read that right - ants in his mouth! I called the front desk to complain about the ants and they sent someone to spray the bathroom. For the remainder of our stay the bathroom smelled like chemicals that obviously were not good for us to be breathing in.

My other big complaint about the hotel was repeated miscommunication. I have many examples. First example - I booked the room through Priceline where I read that our room included 1 round of Safari Journey for up to 4 people. Finally I got a pass for the Safari Journey but they didn't want to give it to me. They said it wasn't included. Similarly, regarding the airport transport I mentioned above - unless you know about it, they aren't going to say anything to you about it. Another example was regarding the pool. I asked the front desk when the pool closed and was told 10 pm. My husband and I went to the pool around 8:30 pm and a guy came and told us it was closed... I had literally just asked the front desk!! A side note about the pool... It is cool because it is next to the savannah as well, but... the ladies bathroom had a terrible red ant problem... I'm talking like 10x worse than the bathroom in our room. I wouldn't want to change in there or even use the bathroom in there. One last example... Our first night I asked if we could have complimentary late check-out and was told there would be no problem with that. So I set it up with the lady at the desk that we were going to check-out at 1:00 pm instead of 12:00 pm and then we would take our free shuttle to the airport afterwards. The next day I was reading something in the room that led me to believe that late check-out was not complimentary and that we would be charged. I went to the desk again to inquire and was told that we could not have late check-out because someone would be checking in to our room after us. I was quite annoyed as I was already told we could have late check-out... I just wanted to double check that there wouldn't be a charge for it. I even have more examples like this!! It just seemed over and over again that the employees and the guests were not on the same page.

If it weren't for the ants and the bad service, I would rate Mara River as "Very Good" or "Excellent" because it really is a cool idea and seeing the animals roaming about really is a fun experience. The bad experiences make me want to give Mara River a "Terrible" or "Poor" rating.... Therefore, I gave an "Average" rating to Mara River.

One last thing I want to mention... You are in the park and it isn't easy to leave. After the park closes your dinner options are either Tsavo Lion Restaurant (with a view of the lions) or room service, both of which, especially Tsavo Lion, are quite expensive. Although Tsavo Lion was expensive, it was quite tasty and my husband and I did enjoy our time dining there. Just something to consider. :)

Room Tip: We stayed in a Swala Deluxe room on the ground level which was a good room for throwing carrots to/s...
Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
MRSL HOTEL M, General Manager at Mara River Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear K_Jackie,

First and foremost I would like to thank you very much for your patronage at Mara River Safari Lodge, Gianyar. It is through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously improve our service standards.

I am dissapointed to hear that our Guest service did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. I have instantly addressed matter of your concern with my team and corrective action has been taken to avoid the reoccurrence of similar incident in the future.

Please do let me know in case that I can be of any assistance to you and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back at Mara River Safari Lodge in the near future.

Thanks and regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

we had a great time here we stayed 2 nights good clean rooms one big bed one single bed for our granddaughter the bath rooms are different shower great,Watching the animals from your room was amazing staff were very helpful the food a bit of a price rise,great time not much to do after 9pmThe animals were good would of liked more romming around.

Room Tip: Rooms around the paddock better to see the animals buy more veges to give the animals were a good w...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Egg6

Adelaide
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Most advertisements overstate their attractiveness but this one understated it! We were enchanted by the place. The staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly and obviously love their work among the animals and the visiting tourists. We took a 3 day/2 night package with all its many "extras" and didn't waste a minute. It included a night safari where you get to feed zebras and elephants with carrots plus the day safari where you visited many other animals in their enclosures. The unit we were allotted was a very spacious 2-room villa with a large balcony from where we could view some of the animals grazing. The infinity pool is raised high enough that you can also see animals walking by as you relax in the water - rhinoceros, zebras and many others - and the swim up bar ensures you can enjoy some cool refreshment at the same time. We ate in the Tsavo Lion restaurant both evenings and, yes, we did "eat with the lions" as the surrounding high glass walls let you watch them while you enjoy the excellent cuisine on offer. We only spent a brief period of time in the children's area as there was so much else to do and see - but it seemed like a fun place to be if you have younger children. All our family agreed that this was a "must see" spot if you are visiting Bali!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Nera0414,

Canggu
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My friend and I booked 1 night as a birthday treat for her son. We were expecting an amazing safari adventure but got nothing of the sort.
We were given no information at check in and as a result missed the Bali Agung show so had to wait around later the next day to see it - which was pretty amazing.
The level of staff attentiveness was very poor - just little things but when you're paying a lot, you expect a lot. Having to get our own towels at the pool, no cutlery or napkins when we ordered lunch at the pool. The changing rooms and toilets look really old and dingy. There is only 1 place to eat at night and it's horrendously overpriced and the food was below average. We were told by the manager that it's run by a top Indonesian chef... well I beg to differ as who puts Teriyaki sauce on a salad as a dressing?!?!?
Our room (Kifaru) was ok but did smell like a horse stable. Unfortunately at night, my friend's ac unit started making an awful noise and kept her up all night and woke her son up and frightened him it was so loud. She was told (by the manager) that because she didn't call at 2am to get an engineer up to fix it, or relocate us, she was at fault. She didn't want to wake me and my son up or pack up all our belongings and move in the middle of the night!
The only compensation we got was a late check out - really not acceptable.
I also complained about our lack of a safari experience. NO interaction with any animals. We were told (again by the manager) that seeing a few zebras and rhinos (at a fair distance) from our balcony was the experience! I have since found out that other people could feed the zebras and had elephants walking by and spraying them etc.... we had nothing like that!
There were lots of other little things that on their own wouldn't have been that bad but all together is just not on with what they charge.
We didn't get anything extra that buying a normal ticket at the gate wouldn't have got us. The park itself is good - don't waste your money staying at the lodge.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank helmac77
MRSL HOTEL M, General Manager at Mara River Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Helmac777,

We truly appreciate the time that you have taken to share your experience regarding your stay with us. Your feedback is always important to us in improving our services here at Mara River Safari Lodge, Gianyar. I do regret that your recent visit was marred by flaws and I would like to assure you that instant measures have been taken to correct the shortcomings.

We greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Anaheim, California
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I love animals, so we decided to stay here 1 night in a tandala suite. I was looking forward to staying here, but my experience here was a bit underwhelming. The rooms were decent, with a comfortable bed. But the tv mounted above the patio door was too small. The bathroom was an okay size, had hot water, and had no sewage smell coming from the toilet. Our patio overlooked the area with zebras and buffalos. We did have fun throwing the carrots to the zebras, even though you do have to be able to throw well to have the carrots reach the animals. I was not able to throw far enough, so I had my boyfriend throw them. We kept calling and asking for extra carrots, and housekeeping brought them to us promptly. Staff was very friendly, but seemed to be confused whenever we asked them any questions about anything. Our room menu had at least 10 types of drinks you could order but when we tried to order them in the restaurant, they seemed confused and said they could not make those drinks. We asked the reception desk where we could order the drinks listed on the menu in the room, and they also did not know and said we probably had an old menu in our room (The menu on our room stated it was the 2012-2013 version). They put the animals away for sleep at night and let them out around 8 am, so you couldn’t see any animals outside your room at night, which was the only time we were in our room. The restaurant was limited and pricey, but to be expected from a hotel restaurant. The view is awesome though. We watched the lions the entire time we were eating and then had fun watching the meerkats on our way out. Breakfast was pretty good for a breakfast buffet, and I had my fill on dim sum and liked making my own soup. The rooms are a bit of walk from the front desk, but they are happy to drive you in a buggy if you ask or call from your room.

We also did the night safari as it was highly recommended on tripadvisor. They raised the price this year and it is $25 per person and is about 20 minutes long. However, I think that there were too many people smushed into the cage on our safari trip. We had a family of 6 full sized to overweight adults on one side, and a family of 4 on the other, so they got most of the carrots to feed the animals. We were in the middle of these families, and didn’t even have enough room to turn around.

The highlight of our stay here was the animal encounter in the lobby during the evening. Because there aren't too many guests, we both got to hold the animal twice.

I would not stay here again, and would probably only recommend this for families with children.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
MRSL HOTEL M, General Manager at Mara River Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear SuzieQ154,

I appreciate the time that you have taken to share your experience regarding your stay with us. Your feedback is always important to us in improving our services here at Mara River Safari Lodge, Gianyar - bali.

I am disappointed to hear about your less than perfect experience with us and I would like to assure you that instant measures have been taken to correct the shortcomings.

Thanks and regards,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We booked a family Safari Adventure in a Kifaru 2 bedroom room. Wow! The rooms were clean and spacious. The package was great allowing us to enjoy the night Safari, visit all the shows, eat in the Tsavo Restaurant for breakfast and see all the amzing animals! What a treat to relax in the pool and watch the zebas and the rhinos. This is a fabulous place to visit! My only tip is to bring some snacks for the kids. Once the zoo is closed there is only one option to eat and the food choices are limited.
We would definitely visit again !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank reg4943
Dear Reg4943

Muhamad Arief Rahman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gianyar
Rumah Luwih Beach Resort and Spa
#40 of 340 in Kuta
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
Elephant Safari Park & Lodge

Been to Mara River Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!