“A perfect conclusion to our Indonesian adventure in a beautiful house with attentive staff in the magic of Ubud!”

Puri Bayu Guest House
Ranked #6 of 36 Gianyar B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Ubud concluded our three-week tour of Indonesia and we felt lucky to come across Puri Bayu on Trip Advisor. The staff made it easy to reserve a room via email and were very accommodating when our plans changed due to some weather conditions that extended our stay in the Gili islands.

The staff welcomed us with Bali Kopi upon arriving late at night. The breakfast served on the deck overlooking the rice fields is spectacular. The location of the guest house is perfect providing a serene environment while being walking distance from all the action Ubud has to offer.

The house is beautiful and the rooms and the bathroom are perfect... just perfect!

I can't believe you can stay in a place like this for ~$30USD per night in a place like Ubud! You simply can't beat this value!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our upstairs room with the balcony, but I don't think you can go wrong here!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ReyShaunMadolora

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed at Puri Bayu for 1 month in the downstairs suite while I was doing my yoga teacher training course in the resort area of Penestanan. Dewi and Ketut made me feel like family, and I totally got spoiled. When it rained, they drove me to school on their motor bike. When I was stressed out, they made me laugh. When I missed breakfast, they would bring me dinner instead. Both Ketut and Dewi embody the true meaning of Balinese Hospitality.

The room itself was well decorated and clean. The fan was sufficient for keeping me cool, and the shower and bath were the best I've ever experienced in Bali. The driver who picked me up in Denpasar was the best driver I've experienced in Asia (and this is based on quite a few as I've traveled extensively through SE Asia). I felt safe during my entire experience.

If you are a backpacker who is considering splurging, splurge with Puri Bayu. I know how hectic Bali (and SE Asia) can be, and choosing to stay with Dewi and Ketut will ensure that you get a break from your travels to appreciate true Balinese hospitality in a beautiful location with beautiful people.

I was lucky to find Puri Bayu, and I highly recommend anyone heading to the Ubud area to consider staying here!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank soultraveler_11
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2011

It's all been said below.. Puri Bayu is a wonderful place to stay if you want somewhere with beautiful surroundings, clean and spacious accommodation, delicious breakfast and incredible people.

Ketut is so gentle and lovely, and Dewi ever helpful.

This was our first trip to Bali, and Puri Bay our first stop. What a way to start a trip! I was amazed by the size of the rooms. We stayed downstairs and were able to pop a mattress on the floor for one daughter while the other slept on the daybed inside (which was huge - there was plenty of room for her). We also had access to a small kitchen, so could keep a bit of fruit and a few cold beers in there.

The guesthouse is set up in a traditional Balinese manner - the mattresses are firm futon style, the curtains sheer, the outdoor bathroom with huge bath is lovely. We were woken each morning by the sound of the local roosters and our girls, which we enjoyed.

We were quite apprehensive about staying somewhere with no pool, as we had no idea how hot it would be and how much we would want to swim. Dewi had emailed that it was possible to use a pool on the street and true to her word, it was a short stroll to Honeymoon cottages or Nick's pension for a swim. The cost was about 25 000Rp at Nicks and the pool there seemed to be in the better condition. We didn't actually swim everyday, and the girls didn't seem bothered. Our girls aren't old enough to swim unsupervised anyway, so if we'd been staying somewhere with a pool we would have needed to walk to the pool and stay there anyway. We didn't find it a problem at all.

We didn't have accommodation organised for the last 3 days of our trip (after moving on to Munduk and Pemuteran) and were amazed to find Dewi had rooms available. The first night we all slept in 1 room upstairs. The view was beautiful, but we found it more noisy than downstairs, and welcomed the move down there for the last 2 nights. Having the girls in a separate room was great. The only thing missing was a mosquito net for them, but mozzie coils next to the door kept the bloodsuckers away.

The girls absolutely LOVED Dewi, and she would take them most mornings to her home (Puri Canting where you can also stay) to feed her pet Iguana, Cameron, birds and to see the little baby frogs in her pond.

Dewi is in the process of building another guesthouse on the same st, probably with a pool, which should be ready in about a year.

We highly recommend Puri Bayu and look forward to seeing Dewi and Ketut again next time we're in Ubud

Room Tip: Choose the downstairs room if travelling as a family, and don't worry about the absence of a poo...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mouse1002
London
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Found Puri Bayu very last minute through tripadviser as read a bad review of another guesthouse we were looking to book and the writer had said they moved to this guesthouse. IT was high season and we had found loads of places were either booked up or really inflated pricewise. So was slightly nervous about what we'd booked as it seemed a fraction of the price and available! But on arrival, we were so pleasantly surprised.

It's on Jalan Bisma which is near the centre but up a lovely quiet street with cafes and guesthouses and rice fields. Pretty swanky restaurant too called Cafe des Artistes.Coming from the main road, you need to look carefully for the sign on the right which takes you all the way down a little alley with colourful plants and Puri Bayu is all the way round the corner in front of the padi fields and the stream.

We were met by Ketut who looked after everything when we were there, literally the nicest person we met in Bali! The room was much nicer than we expected for the price and the balcony with day bed overlooking the rice fields was so peaceful.

We also had the BEST breakfasts we had in the whole trip here - the green pancakes with pandan and banana, covered in coconut and gula melaka (a brown sugar sryup) - I stil think fthem now! My husband doesn't eat bananas or coconut and even he said it was heavenly. These come with a fruit bowl, great coffee and all on your little balcony.

A real find!!!

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room for views from balcony and light.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iharttravel
hobart
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We loved Puri Bayu. The rooms were clean, the staff (Katut) was kind gentle and wonderful. The bathroom was great, probably the best water pressure we experienced any where in Bali. The view from our balcony was beautiful, looking out over the rice paddies, in the evening a cool breeze would blow into our room. The lady who owned the establishment was wonderful, well really she wasn't the boss, but "Brandy" the dog was. As animal lovers , my wife Vanessa and I instantly warmed to the place. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I am a little apprehensive at writing this review because it may reduce the possibility of staying there again if it becomes too successful,

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank klektik
singap
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Despite our 1night only stay at Puri Bayu, it was a tremendous experience!
Dewi was a fantastic host in which she provided us with great help during our stay there. From getting us rental bikes and sent directly to the guesthouse, to helping us source for a great and honest driver, as we're heading to our next destination after Ubud.

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank wakeupslow
Roanoke
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Puri Bayu guesthouse was an awesome gem we came across! The room was quiet, clean, and absolutely lovely! When we return to Bali, we will definately be staying here. The two adjoining rooms were spacious and a wonderful place to relax and unwind!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gianyar
The Kayon Resort
#35 of 196 in Ubud
Villa Kemuning Ubud
Villa Kemuning Ubud
#13 of 22 in Tegalalang

Been to Puri Bayu Guest House? Share your experiences!