“An Incredible Family Experience”

Puri Bayu Guest House
Ranked #5 of 31 Gianyar B&B and Inns
Ijamsville, Maryland
“An Incredible Family Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2008

My family stayed with the Gunadi family from January 3rd to January 9th of 2008. It was an incredible experience. Dewi runs the guest house and is an elegant and beautiful host who catered to our every need. Her husband, Gusti, is a gentleman in every sense of the word. More about them in a minute.

The guest house was recommended by a friend who travels to Bali a few times each year. This was my second trip to Bali and I wanted to take my family (wife and two young daughters) to show them the magic of Bali. Dewi took my reservation over the phone. We booked the two second-floor rooms that share a balcony overlooking a rice field.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the staff and our bags were carried down a path along a small creek covered with orchids. The rooms were incredible and in traditional Balinese style. Simple and exotic. The bathrooms are open-air and add to the ambience of Ubud. You should never visit Bali and miss a place like this.

Every morning we were greeted by our host Wayan who prepared a fresh, healthy breakfast of ginger tea, banana pancakes (the kids loved them), fresh fruit, and good company. Wayan taught us much about Balinese culture and traditions. From the balcony we could see locals quietly going about their daily lives - placing offerings in the temples that surround the rice fields, harvesting the rice, and simply walking down the path. Idyllic is the word that comes to mind.

The rooms are incredible and the staff became our new family.

I realize this is a hotel review site, but I feel compelled to share the following experience with potential visitors. My daughter got a nasty flu while we were in Bali (we were on a month-long vacation around SE Asia) and she became very ill. For those concerned about travelling with young children in Bali - READ THIS. The Gunadi family drove us to their personal pediatrician in Ubud. My daugher was seen in a matter of minutes and Gusti translated English/Indonesian with the doctor. Our daughter was in the hospital overnight with an IV. She recovered. I cannot say enough about the hospital staff. An overnight stay in a private, air-conditioned room cost a little more than $100 US. Without the assistance of Gunadi and Dewi - we would have had a very different experience in Bali. What we thought was the beginning of a terrible experience became an incredible personal revelation regarding the hospitality and kindness of the Balinese people. I cannot say enough about our friends at Puri Bayu. If you believe in Karma, and I do, good things are in store for the Gunadi family and their lovely residence - Puri Bayu. Dewi also has a neighboring guest house named Puri Cantik.

You will find Puri Bayu to be the best deal in Ubud and an incredibly enriching experience for a couple or a small family.

Our personal driver, Wayan Sardita, was another incredible aspect of our stay in Bali. Contact him directly (sardita_dita7@hotmail.com) and I will personally guarantee that you will have an amazing adventure in Bali. He has unique knowledge of everything in Bali and will ensure your trip is unforgettable. He and his family visited my daughter in the hospital. Have you ever visited a country where the hotel staff and your driver became dear friends? We have. We love Bali and our friends at Puri Bayu.

I'm smiling as I write this. Tell them the Greenlees Family sent you.

• Liked — Our hosts
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank David G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gianyar
Villa Sarna Ubud
#36 of 195 in Ubud
Saudara Home
Saudara Home
#1 of 527 in Ubud

Been to Puri Bayu Guest House? Share your experiences!