Puri Bayu Guest House
Alam Puisi Villa(Tampaksiring)
All reviewsrice fieldsbrandyguesthousebugscoconutsofaubudcleanlinessfrogsagung
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Friendly people and great house & location (overlooking rice fields, but close enough to Ubud centre). Room nicely decorated, spacious, and with a good-size veranda. Because of a late flight out, the owners were so kind to let me (and my luggage) stay on their premises until late at night.

However, I missed the basics to combat the extreme humidity: a fridge and aircon. My water was always tepid, and the ceiling fan was not adequate. Also lacking were toiletries, and WiFi access was on and off.
As the owners live a few houses further, it was not always easy to get an answer to a question or problem, especially during rainy times.
Finally, there are open air bathrooms, which can be great. At Puri Bayu, there is not enough coverage for rain, though, so the floor is often wet when using the sink or going to the toilet. Also, the floor is partially covered by white pebbles, which look nice, but are a pain in the foot when the humidity makes them stick to your soles. Also, it is not a very clean system: I saw quite some hairs of previous guests between them....

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms more privacy and better view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank groengras
Reviewed 12 November 2013

First and foremost, I must really thank Dewi and I Gusti (the couple) that manage the guesthouse. We had a terrible rocky start, there was an issue with my deposit via Western Union and my flight was delayed so by the time I reached my place, it was late and they had thought I had cancelled my room. SIGH. Luckily! There was another room for them to place the other guest at (which was coming the day after) so I can sleep at the room that I initially reserved!! Thank you Dewi and I Gusti.

Location:
Puri Bayu is located at Bisma Street which is about 5 minutes walk from the famous Ubud Market, and Monkey Forest Road (lots of bars and restaurants). It’s also located about 5 minutes walk from the famous halls that feature Kecak and Barong dances.
That aside, Puri Bayu is right across a paddy field! At that time of visit, it was a full stretch of green so that was a delight. It was the reason I reserved it for.

Rate:
While I was busy looking for rooms and / or places to stay, I found Puri Bayu the most affordable! For USD 28 a night (inclusive of tax), it’s even inclusive of breakfast so that was really appreciated for.

Airport Transfer:
That one thing that wasn’t included that I wished they had was airport transfer. Simply because it would help anyone who comes in via Denpasar which is about 1.5hours drive.

Children + Family:
Extremely acceptable if you’re staying on groundfloor! There are dogs around and its heaps of fun to have play around with you.

View:
Paddy field view :) I had reserved Puri Bayu for this, and this is what I have gotten.

Service:
From the my first mention about Dewi, I Gusti and Ketut and their other staff, everyone was really willing, friendly, and made sure I was well taken care of. As a solo traveler, I appreciate it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Jacqkie
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Everything ist nice in this place except one quite important thing. There is a construction site next to the guesthouse. It is impossible to enjoy the stay during the day. They carving stones and hammer until five o'clock. The owner could not say how long it takes. We assume at least another 6 month.
The place is nice but this point is unacceptable.

Room Tip: The rooms in the first floor have the good view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beat F
Reviewed 11 September 2013

For a guesthouse, Puri Bayu's location and facilities are just nice, only a short 10-15mins walk to Ubud market & other attractions.

From Jalan Bisma, you gotta walk (no car!) into a small, tight lane in order to reach the guest house, and 2 of its rooms are on level 2, up a steep/tight fleet of stairs. So it is not recommended having big suitcases & also not for the elderly.

The rooms lacked cleaning & proper maintenance. For eg cobwebs/dust everywhere incldg on the mosquito nettings and tables, and one of the pillows provided had serious molding/stains on it. Only 2 bottles of drinking water, 1 toilet paper roll, 2 towels & 1 pc of soap were provided throughout our 2 nights' stay. No major prob with bugs if you keep the toilet & balcony doors closed. Toilet is super cold to use at night and early mornings as it is open topped. If it rains, you might get wet at the sink!

Breakfast is just nice, with generous pot of tea/coffee for each person & yummy green pancake is a must try, but service is rather slow. If you are in a hurry, you need to tell the owner, Dewi, in advance. This could be slightly inconvenient as she stays 1 mins' walk round the corner at Puri Cantik.

But I guess these are not too big issues as the whole place gives you a great cozy & nice cool vibe. Staying here in Ubud is a huge welcome compared to the busy polluted Kuta. However, if you have a tight schedule, perhaps max of 2 nights here is sufficient. After a while here at Puri Bayu, you could start to miss the small comforts/luxury of a hairdryer, tv, fridge, room service, air-cond, toiletries, etc.

Room Tip: The rooms on Level 2 have better views, but the 1 room on the ground floor is bigger.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

After a 20 days trip around Thailand, Cambodia & Indonesia we spot this little place...how I don't know!!
The rooms are beautiful, clean and well organize, the view I can't describe need to seat on the sofa of the first floor and enjoy the sunset!!!! The unique bathroom is the shining star in this outdoor guesthouse!!
The mum are so sweet help us to find some place to visit where usually tourist don't go
We hardly find the energy to leave it!!
We will be back