“Good but room for improvement”

Gending Kedis Villas & Spa Estate
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Melbourne, Australia
“Good but room for improvement”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

We stayed at GK for 6 nights of our honeymoon. It is a nice place and has a lot going for it - staff are friendly, breakfasts and restaurant are great (the restaurant do the best pancakes in Bali in our opinion!), shuttle on demand is excellent for getting around, the rooms are well appointed (including a nice lounge room and big tv), it has a nicely equipped gym and the grounds are very pretty. GK also made up the room with flowers for our honeymoon which was a very nice gesture!

Having read all of the fantastic reviews on this site there were a few things which were a bit surprising though and we think could definitely be improved:

+ The website descibes GK as having "breathtaking views over a steep wooded ravine with luxuriant green vegetation". We didn't see any breathtaking views (whether from our villa or any of the communal areas) while we were at GK.

+ We stayed in Prinia 1 which is a one bdr villa right at the bottom of the hill that GK sits on. The lounge, bedroom and bathroom are all very spacious and nicely furnished but as the villa is at the bottom of the hill it is actually quite dark and smells a bit damp. The bedroom had mildew on the ceiling and the creek bed just below the villa had some rubbish in it. It is a nice villa but as the pool area is also a bit cramped and dark we didn't end up using the pool that much. All of the glowing reviews we have read refer to room upgrades and people who have stayed in 2bdr plus villas so maybe it is just a matter of avoiding the Prinia rooms but we definitely found this disappointing and didn't really get much sympathy when we raised it with management!

+ The reception staff are very friendly and happy to help but the check in process and the front desk in general was a bit chaotic (needed more than one person on the desk to answer phones, check people in and handle guest enquiries) and we didn't feel like there were really any suggestions on what to do while in Jimbaran (or any familiarity with places that we asked them about). Douglas is the man to talk to about this stuff (and gave us some excellent suggestions over breakfast) but it wouldn't go astray to have some of these things in the guest information book and for the other staff to experience some of these places themselves so they can impart some first-hand knowledge.

+ There seems to be some confusion on this site about whether GK has a 'beach area'. It doesn't have a beach area. We found this absolutely fine (and understandable given that GK is a 5 min drive from the beach) but the staff weren't equipped with any knowledge about where to find a deck chair for hire!

Overall we did have very big expectations (particularly because we were staying so long, were on our honeymoon and had heard such great things) so we're probably being a bit harsh but there are some areas for improvement!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank robfmob
Scotonthebeach, Owner at Gending Kedis Villas & Spa Estate, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Many thanks for writing your detailed review following your recent Honeymoon at GENDING KEDIS. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast pancakes and your overall very positive assessment of our services and amenities. As you have pointed out there are many interesting places to visit and things to do in the Jimbaran area, and our guest service staff are always encouraged to assist our guests with helpful information and any assistance required. We hope that you will have happy memories of your Bali Honeymoon, and that you will consider a return trip in the future.
Greetings from all our staff! Kind regards, Douglas Wallace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
Bucharest, RO
Reviewed 8 February 2011

After debating for many days and browsing most of the deserving hotels in Bali, we carefully decided to book GK and we could not have chosen better.
We spent 8 nights at the Gending Kedis Resort at the beginning of January. Although we booked a 2 bedroom villa, on arrival we were upgraded to a 3 bedroom villa (named Cherida 4), which had many advantages, among which I will mention the one we liked most: the pool was huge.
For us, the location was fantastic: complete seclusion, villa facing the tropical forest with amazing view (and no mosquitoes whatsoever – I think the staff takes care by fumigating the rooms), birds singing in the morning and the mysterious sounds of the jungle at dawn. We had a lovely and perfect stay: big, private, sunny pool which was cleaned every day, 24 h room service, fruit plate constantly replenished, extremely helpful and supportive staff with everything we needed, complimentary shuttle service to Jimbaran Bay and beach, massage by the pool.
One downside I can think about - breakfast was a bit dull (although plentiful) and could use more variety. Another issue - the jacuzzi bath had a leak and could not be used, but it was of no consequence. As a suggestion - introducing free shuttle to/from the airport would be a nice courtesy towards the guests.
We also traveled a lot around the island. The location of the resort is great, no matter if you want to see the island landmarks or you just wish to sunbathe on the shore of the ocean (swimming in the ocean is better in the afternoon, when the waves are not so dangerous as in the morning). Just a tip regarding the distances and the fact that the roads have narrow lanes: for example, one needs 1,5 hours to get to Ubud.
Many thanks to Mrs. Suzie and Mr. Bayu for their permanent support and warm smile !
Although our home is very far away and we changed 3 flights to get there, we look forward to return soon !

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Scotonthebeach, Owner at Gending Kedis Villas & Spa Estate, responded to this review, 13 February 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Thank you very much for your review after your holiday at GENDING KEDIS in January. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the larger 3-bedroom Cherida villa and especially that you took advantage of the larger swimming pool. Thank you for your lucid description of the location of the villa, facing the tropical forest which is very lush after the high rainfall, and the lively birdsong in the mornings - did you know that GENDING KEDIS is the Balinese language for 'Birdsong'?
Your very gracious remarks have been advised to our guest service manager and staff, and the response is "When are these kind guests returning?"
We certainly hope that despite a rather long journey from Bucharest, you will come back to Bali and GK Resorts in the near future.
With best wishes from all our team, Douglas Wallace
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Supposed to be i'm staying at this hotel for 3 nights.... Booked a two bedroom villa... After check in they sent us to our room.. and i found out there's so many ants in the wall of living room.
And then the problem keep coming.... a frog in the bedroom! and that's the big frog, not the small one... and after that, i saw a RAT running in the living room while i'm standing there! OMG i can't believe that!
and the most dissapointing thing is at 11pm i want to order a room service. they said the kitchen already closed. because of a group and they changed the rooster for kitchen without prior notice to other guest?
that's really dissapointing. I Would not recommend this hotel...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank nogenmania
Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Thank you for taking the time to write 2 reviews following your stay at GENDING KEDIS, from Melbourne, Australia, and from Surabaya, Indonesia. We have noted your comments relating to ants and frogs and we are very sorry to hear that this was so upsetting to you. We note that as Indonesians you are most likely aware that Bali is a tropical island with a wealth of wildlife. We do apologize that our all-night food service was indeed not available during your stay in our resort. Thank you again for your valuable review.
With best regards, Douglas Wallace
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I stayed in Gending Kedis for 2 nights for my honeymoon. This is actually the second hotel of my 5 nights stay in Bali.. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by everything in the hotel - from the service, the friendly and reliable staff, great food, everything!!!
I arrived on 9th December 2010 and upon check-in, discovered that the management was generous enough to upgrade me to a 3-bedroom villa (i booked a 1-bedroom villa). Imagine 2 honeymooners in a villa big enough for the entire family!!
After we were brought to the villa, i was again surprised by the sweet gesture of the hotel - they had set up the bedroom with flowers and also prepared a rose petal bath for me and my hubby!! That was truly awesome, they really went out of their way to ensure that every detail is looked into.. The private pool was heavenly, my hubby dived right in after checking out the place. In addition, when i called the reception to ask if they had a business centre where i cud use a computer, they once again went out of their way to lend us a laptop, so that we could enjoy surfing the net in our villa... I also ordered room service, and for both nights i had the prawn pizza which was very very delectable. (and its cheap too- we had pizza, tom yam soup and spring rolls for approx SGD50) The villa was very very clean (very important for me) and they also sent staff to clean the villa every morning and evening.
On the secind day of my stay, after i came back tired from shopping, i was once again surprised to find chiffon cakes in my villa... the hotel was very sweet to go the extra mile to make my day! I actually cried on the day I had to check out, as i know i will miss the place and the service rendered. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to go to bali, be it for romance, or with family. U will never regret it, its worth every dollar spent!!!!! Bali is a beautiful place, but staying with GK was definitely the highlight of my honeymoon, and i look forward to another stay there again... Thank you GK!! My honeymoon was a beautiful success thanks to everyone there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElleZulkarnain
Scotonthebeach, Owner at Gending Kedis Villas & Spa Estate, responded to this review, 13 January 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts following your Honeymoon at GENDING KEDIS very recently, and for your time spent writing your review on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted to hear that you liked the larger villa and the swimming pool during your stay. Most important, that your Honeymoon was a great success, is wonderful for us to know. All our staff join me in wishing you and your hubby much happiness in the years ahead. Perhaps on your future Anniversary you may think of a return visit to Bali, when we would assure you of a warm welcome!
Kindest wishes from 'The Island of the Gods'. Douglas Wallace
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2010

UNDER PROMISED / OVER DELIVERED

We have just had a delightful stay at Kanishka Villas (Seminyak) and Gending Kedis ( Jimbaran Bay) package - 2 nights at each.

The Villas are owned and operated by one of Indonesia’s most respected designers and an Internationally experienced resort and Hotels team, and it shows :-)
- Hide quoted text -

Both properties combine a clever balance of Balinese tranquility in modern contemporary environs. The service level at both properties is seamless including the amazing Butler Service - Dial 0. They even provide a laptop service to the room if you have to combine work and pleasure.

The food was great also - Asian Fusion - Enak Sekali / Delicious and oh so affordable! Oh, and did I mention that all Villas have pools.

From Melbourne, we work and travel extensively thru the Asian region for both work and pleasure and these properties are a standout if you are looking for a special visit at a value price - ENJOY!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank blackie255100
Scotonthebeach, Owner at Gending Kedis Villas & Spa Estate, responded to this review, 21 December 2010
Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Firstly, thank you for choosing to stay at both our Bali resorts for your recent visit. We are very happy to learn that you found both KANISHKA VILLAS, Seminyak, and GENDING KEDIS, Jimbaran satisfactory in terms of design and service. Pleased to hear that the laptop was useful for you to keep up with demands of work even whilst on vacation!
Thank you for taking time to write your impressions of GK Resorts, and please consider a return visit when we assure you of a very warm welcome back!
From all our team in Seminyak and Jimbaran, warm wishes, Douglas Wallace
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2010

My wife and I have just spent our honeymoon at Gending Kedis Villas & Spa Estate and as a result we really did have the best possible honeymoon. From the moment we arrived we felt that we were in sheer luxury and the staff were always very kind and extremely polite to us, no request we had was too big or too small for them and it was always lovely to have everyone call us by our names when they saw us, unlike big chain hotels where you are just another face in the crowd.

We stayed in a two bedroom villa, Munia, which was very private and secluded. Every night we slept like logs and woke to the sounds of the forest in the morning. There are outer walls to each villa, you can't see into anyone else's villa and you feel extreme privacy. We spent many an enjoyable hour swimming in and relaxing by our private pool and at night we often had our butler bring us some wine and we relaxed by the pool.

Every morning we ate breakfast in the Alcedo restaurant and it was great. It isn't the usual bland buffet fare, but food made to order for you from the menu, always fresh and delicious. On several occasions we had wonderful lunches and dinners there as well, the price was always very reasonable as well.

As part of the honeymoon package we received a free special lunch (not on the regular menu) which was magnificent and one night we had the romantic dinner by the pool and it was I would say the most romantic and enjoyable dinner my wife and I have ever had. Flowers were scattered in heart shape round our table by the pool, a heart shape bouquet floated in the pool, candles lit up the surrounding area and our butler brought us wine and food by the course as we relaxed and enjoyed an amazing evening. I would say that the romantic dinner was the highlight of the honeymoon for us, I can't thank everyone enough for it.

Also included in the honeymoon package was a day trip which we found very enjoyable, we got to see some of Bali's cultural highlights and most importantly, because we were with a Gending Kedis driver, we didn't get ripped off. When we had lunch in a restaurant during our tour some of the other tourists told us how the police stopped them and told them to pay large fees for "permits" to certain areas. Although a permit was perhaps $3-5 (the price we payed), some people were paying up to $30 which was ridiculous, but I got the impression the in the touristy areas police would target foreign travelers who were on there own or in small groups. Our driver looked after us perfectly, I can honestly say if it wasn't for him we would have probably felt really frustrated during the tour.

The other main inclusion in the honeymoon package was a 3 hour spa treatment for my wife and I. To be honest, I have never had a spa treatment before, but I gave it a bash and I loved it. My wife has had massages and spa treatments in many countries (Thailand, Korea, Japan, UK) and she said this was by far the best ever. I was so impressed by the quality of it we booked extra massage and spa treatment almost everyday.

The location of Gending Kedis is great if you want to get away from everything. Nearby there are a few well known chain resorts which are close to the beach, but also have a busy road running by them so you hear a lot of traffic. Gending Kedis is about 1.8km from the beach, it's a 15 minute walk, but the driver will take you down and pick you up later as part of the services provided. The beach at Jimbaran is very beautiful, perhaps the sea isn't as clear as that in some of the islands in Thailand we have visited (I can't say for other times of the year though), but the sunset there was breath taking. On two nights we ate dinner on the beach, the staff at Gending Kedis recommended some good places for us and we were delighted with their suggestions. We found the price and quality of the Menega cafe to be very good. On the beach there we didn't see any touts and nobody hassled us to go into their restaurant, it was a very pleasant atmosphere and we loved eating there whilst watching the sun go down and enjoying the beautiful reds and purples in the sky.

All in all, it really was a perfect honeymoon and we can't fault anything. We left with very happy memories and it's because of where we stayed. The manager, Douglas made us feel very welcome, he and his staff told us where to go and what to try nearby and they were always spot on with their local knowledge. If you are looking for a luxury relaxing get away, I would recommend this 100%, especially for honeymooners like us.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Willrobb
Scotonthebeach, Owner at Gending Kedis Villas & Spa Estate, responded to this review, 2 December 2010
Dear Tripadvisor Member,
We are very pleased to hear that you are safely back in Japan after your "Best possible Honeymoon" in Bali. It was our delight to read your complete description staying in the MUNIA villa, which many of our guests regard as unique!
Thank you very much on behalf of all our staff for taking so much time to chronicle your Honeymoon stay at GK. It is really a pleasure to know that you and your radiant bride enjoyed all aspects of your honeymoon, the villa, restaurant, spa treatments and the island tour. And we hope that you will return as we promise to have an even better selection of malt whiskies from the different regions of Scotland.
In the meantime, from me and all our staff at GK Resorts, we wish you both every happiness in your new married life together, and will return to experience the romance of The Island of the Gods again soon.
With warm wishes, Douglas Wallace
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Fantastic villas. We stayed in Cherida 1 (3brm) Great for families as there's lots of space. Huge bedrooms, amazing ensuites and fantastic private pool. We felt like royalty. The staff were extremely accommodating - nothing was a problem. They have a shuttle service to the surrounding attractions. Very peaceful and quiet - away from the hustle and bustle of Kuta. Didn't want to leave. We'll definitely be back soon hopefully

• Stayed September 2010
Dear HRH Tripadvisor Member,
A slightly belated Thank You for your review after your October holiday.
We are positively delighted that the resort's 3-bedroom CHERIDA villa gave you the feeling of being 'Royalty'. That is a very welcome compliment graciously received!
Certainly the location of the resort is well removed from the rather frenetic activity of Kuta as you have so aptly described. Our staff have been notified of your kind remarks, and they all join me to thank you for your business and also wish you a speedy return to The Island of the Gods!
With gracious and warm wishes, Douglas Wallace