“5 stars service and resort - 3 star price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jimbaran Cliffs Private Hotel & Spa

Jimbaran Cliffs Private Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 84 Jimbaran B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“5 stars service and resort - 3 star price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I was going to write a long review because we had so much to say - but to keep it simple - stay here. Yes do it.

We decided to stay here on our last night to just relax and hang out before flying out. A perfect end to the holiday we had in Bali - it was perfect.

The distance is nothing - $2AUD in a cab - and cabs everywhere and the hotel will organise it for 50 cents extra lol Seriously, I am a value huntress and I looked everywhere for a place just like this with consistent reviews that I felt sure would meet our expectations - it did.

The food in the restaurant is very inexpensive, it is basic, but extensive choices. I read in a review below about the nachos - I had to order it just to count the chips lol Indeed there were only 5 chips (because it's obviously created by an artistic chef and was a fancy design lol) and felt it necessary to point out to 'Ms I want bigger portions and a paid a fortune' - the dish is clearly listed as a starter on the menu and at Happy Hour is the grand sum total of $2.50AUD, so I ate my five chips and substantial beans and salsa and drowned my 5 chip sorrows in my $4 Mojito - then just to make sure I was over it dived into the sparkling clean bar pool situated in a lush green leafy garden with fabulous views - of parts of the town and some lovely community farms garden.

Yes it's a bumpy road to the hotel - so don't spend all day on it. Spend it laying on your day bed, sipping a cocktail, order a room massage for two people - we did and the accupressure massage was devine - the one serious complaint I had was that we didn't book an extra hour because we didn't want to miss the nachos for $2.50 at happy hour ;-) Even if you price in a trip in and out every day this hotel was still MORE than half the price of anything guaranteed to be of such good quality.

the views in the lower room were great and I can't understand anyone having a problem. I loved to watch the doggies running through the garden way below and frolick as the sun was setting and the day was cooler for them. Yes it's not - lets get butt naked private - but only if you are convinced the guy from the house building site the equivalent of 4 blocks away had xray vision - I could only just work out what colour shirt he was wearing and certainly couldn't tell if he was wearing glasses. I would definitely pay extra for the cliff pool rooms - it's a feeling of openness and freedom and luxury. Not at all like the closed in Villas with a cement wall right beside the pool. And the chickens! Who doesn't like a chicken - they are gorgeous wee moos.

If you really want privacy outside, sink into the water to cool off and cuddle and laugh and then relax on the day bed with the curtains closed around you - still outdoors and have a lovely afternoon nap. Simply magic.

One thing that also suprised me was the quietness of the rooms - I woke up early and the room was very silent - but when I went to the outside bathroom - also just fabulous if I don't say so - BIG lovely bath, it was normal Bali morning noisy - including the wee moo roosters - yet close the door back into the room - and peace and serenity. aaahhhh the serenity. They must have double glazed the doors and windows etc. Very nice, 5 star touch. I have stayed in Hiltons and Hyatts that were not so good.

so all in all - we loved it - highly recommend it would be happy to answer any questions about it. Possibly the only negative was that the seafood on Jimabaran Beach was not so good - and certainly not as good value as some of the other places we stayed.

We only paid $126 for this room and considered it money extremely well spent. There were offers for $100 if you booked 3-5 nights etc) To get this kind of service even remotely close to the actual beaches or cliff faces would be literally 3-4 times the price. If we travelled to Bali again we would stay here without doubt and just travel to everywhere else locally on day trips - ie beaches, Jimbaran, Kuta, Double Six, Legian. Then maybe head up north through Ubud and stay on the East coast at the top of the island.

Just fyi Nusa Dua - completely overpriced compared to everywhere else. Even the exchange rates were signifigantly lower from 8800-9350 - when we were getting 9665 in Ubud. Market style shopping cheaper in Ubud and surrounds by a long shot - if you know what you are doing and can be polite start at maybe just 25% of their opening price - it's usually closer to cost price - but don't bother in Nusa Dua - their costs are actually higher to buy stuff in and rent etc.

just a wee fyi - the actual Nusa Dua beachfront - The Grand Hyatt looked absolutely beyond amazing - but the resorts next door looked positively 3rd world by comparison. The Bali Collection Shopping mall seemed a little pointless to us.

So basics were;
inexpensive restaurant with nice food - no extra charge for room service
extremely clean and comfortable
very good air conditioning
very good transport service - reasonably priced
impeccable service and caring
GREAT public and private pools
Great clean bathrooms with great water pressure etc
private, peaceful and quiet
great spa (in room service) - more expensive than street massages
TERRIFIC value

Room Tip: if you really want to get butt naked insist on a higher room - but for my mind there was no signifig...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank olivia d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Blue Mountains National Park, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Let me start with the first thing you'll hear about Jimbaran Cliffs: conveniently located it ain't. You can't walk to the beach.

And let me respond with this: You won't want to leave your room to go to the beach!!

If you have day trips planned, or don't mind a cheap, relatively short cab ride to the beach, or would be happy spending a full day enjoying a private pool, then I encourage you with all of my heart to stay at Jimbaran Cliffs.

Not being super-close to the beach has its advantages. It is peaceful, quiet, the air is clean and the views are just gorgeous (note to staff - the views would be even better if you could trim some of the higher tree branches).

When we arrived at Jimbaran Cliffs, we were greeted by the most gracious hosts, opening our car door and providing us with a sweet, cool drink as we were attentively checked in. Our bags were whisked away and we were personally escorted to our room.

When we arrived in our room I literally jumped up and down and squealed. I couldn't stop bouncing for at least another half hour.

The rooms are large and stunning, with a very modern Indonesian feel. A beautiful, comfortable big bed with fresh linen, a large kitchen area where you can cook your own meal if you choose. The bathroom was to die for - enormous bathtub, fernery, black pebbles. High quality bathrobes and towels. His & hers mirrors. A walk in robe. Just exquisite. So many high quality, considerate touches that made this visit the greatest pleasure I have ever had in staying at a hotel.

And the best part....our own infinity pool overlooking the jungle, with an enormous daybed. It was divine. It was luxurious. We loved it so much that we cancelled our next night's accomodation elsewhere (and had to pay full price due to late refund) just to spend another night here. The rooms were so amazing that we decided to spend an afternoon and evening just enjoying the tranquil luxury of our island getaway.

The bar was gorgeous too, Adi the bartender does an amazing job, is extremely friendly and engaging, and mixes up some spectacular drinks. We also ate here one night, and the food was fresh and delicious.

All the staff are so friendly and helpful, the maid helped me learn how to do special origami folds on the bed linen, and Dewi at reception was incredibly sweet and helpful.

Jimbaran Cliffs is a private haven in Bali at an incredible price. I will be back, again....and again....and again!

Room Tip: We had room 107 and it appeared to be the most private room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Teetles
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I'll assume that you're considering Jimbaran Cliffs because you're keen for a solid room with a private pool, but need to count your pennies. I doubt you'd stay here for any other reason - as others have already mentioned, the location isn't great, and if you could afford a private pool villa in the thick of the action, then you could afford to pay two to three times as much for a better location.

Here you have to compromise. As someone transiting through Bali in the wet season, I wanted to be decadent and having a private pool, and wasn't fussed on the location (been to Bali many times, don't really like it). I looked at options everywhere, and to me this property was the cheapest of those that looked like they had good quality rooms and great private pools. Other options seemed risker.

As an establishment, I'd rate this five stars when you factor in value. The rooms were really spacious and well kept, food was very reasonably priced (a real plus when you are stuck there) and the pool was really fantastic - I'd say about 7m by 2.5 m, so it was certainly more than a small plunge pool. At it was deep. I loved it (although as some other reviews mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if they were on the cold side during the cool season).

Service was outstanding. Best I've had in Bali.

The location isn't great. You can't very easily wander anywhere else. It's a 10 minute brisk walk (uphill) from the main road. If you walk further towards Nusa Dua, you get to Hardy's where you can buy your souvenirs, and there's a Pepitos supermarket closer than that still... I'd say 20 minutes to the market, and 30 minutes to Hardy's. A taxi back from Hardy's cost me just over 10,000IDR - very cheap. You can very, very easily travel out and about from here and still save money than on a better location. But the downslide is, sometimes it's very nice just to be able to wander for a few minutes and be surrounded by shops and restaurants.

I mentioned the food being cheap, which is was. It's also fairly plain and won't knock your socks off. But you definitely won't go hungry. They do very well, considering they wouldn't get many (if any) non guests dropping in to eat as they're walking past.

Biggest downside is the internet - it's really woeful. It won't matter to everyone, but when you can't easily walk to a nearby bar or cafe, there are times when being able to surf the net is helpful. It shouldn't take five minutes just to check facebook in this day and age, especially as I was a solo traveller.

Room Tip: Not sure that the cliff edge rooms would be worth the extra expense. I can see the value in being a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Steve4750
Port Hedland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed in Jimbaran Cliffs between christmas & new years. It's ok, could be fantastic with a little work.
The airport pick up was good, driver nice, friendly & helpful.
Check in was good with complimentary drinks.
Our room was nice spacious & airy with an outdoor bathroom. Only strange thing is you have a kitchen with no utensils :-S I don't see the point in it.
The private pool is gorgeous, bar the staff turning off the filters & pumps at night and forgetting to turn them back on again.

We done a few trips from this hotel to various locations around the area and found the drivers to be nice. They did hire us an external driver for one trip to uluwatu and he was nice bar trying to sell us other trips all the time. Their trips are priced ok, could be better as the hotel is located off the beaten track and other driving companies would never find it.

The food in the hotel is good. Staff are always friendly and helpful. Free interent is pointless. TV channels make the TV pointless.

This place could be so much better, i htink they need to upgrade the tv channels & internet and not charge people for taxi runs to the very local areas. Then i might return :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank linniebin
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Some rather mixed reviews below but I really enjoyed my stay. The pictures are really accurate of how the place looks. The rooms are lovely and the private pools are great. Actually it feels rather cosey there. It is not the last word in luxury but for the very reasonable price I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Write to them first to secure a room with a decent view
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Cairns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Booked a four night stay and was blown away with the room, service, staff and the location. Was picked up at the airport for transfer to the hotel. welcomed with a drink and taken on a tour of the hotel. Pictues do not do it justice!

Room had everything that was needed, the semi outside bathroom was amazing. The highlight was the private edge pool ( it was not an issue for me, but the pool overlooked the roof of the room below. But that made it very private! ) The sunset views from the day bed where breathtaking.

The hotel had two other edge pools, which could also be used.

The restaurant on the top floor had wonderful views, with outstanding food for both Dinner and Breakfast. ( At great prices )

The hotel staff where some of the best I have come across, friendly, helpfull and down right wonderful. The tours from the hotel where a great price ( around 50.00 AUD for a ten hour tour with private driver )

The location was fine, quiet, away from all the crowds, close to everything and the hotel staff are more than happy to take you anywhere.

While I would love to keep this place to myself, this is one outstanding hotel and for the service, price, location, rooms ( villas ) has to be the best on the island of Bali.

Room Tip: The lower Villas have edge pools with no other buildings in front, but the higher floors have better...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed 2 nights at Jimbarancliff and we where really stunned. The peeple, the service, the rooms, the food. All amazing. People shouldnt complain about the location: it's in every discription. so read it better. The staff will bring you anywhere for agood price. It was the most romantic start of our holiday at Bali. We will definitely return .

• Stayed November 2011