“THE place to stay if you surf, period.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jimbaran
Wave Guru Bali Surf Camp
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have stayed at Wave Guru Bali a total of 18 days on two occasions, and this was a great experience. It did however only take me about a day to realize that I would be returning. When I arrived at Bali my flight landed at around 2pm, less than two hours later I scored several pretty decent wave. And a week later I had gotten possibly the 20 best waves of my life, all thanks to Nick and the Wave Guru crew.

During my stay in Indonesia I visited different islands trying to escape the crowd that the famous Bali breaks draw to them. What I now know is that the uncrowded waves are to be found in Bali if you put a Wave Guru behind the wheel.

This place is THE place to go if you're in Bali for surf. At least two sessions a day, and the food is great. It truely is eat, sleep, surf, and I loved it. Nick and everyone at Wave Guru are great people that are easy to connect with. Staying at a place where the crew is just as stoked to surf tip they drop as you are is truely something special. It feels like you're surfing with friends, and I guess that's what you are.

Even though the number of "excellent" reviews greatly outnumbers the bad ones and you probably can tell for yourself that this place is excellent, I would like to put any doubts to rest. The bad reviews are focused on small non-issues that you will not care about if you are stoked to surf. The villa is a bit from downtown Kuta, but the guys in the crew are happy to go for a drive.

If you're on this page now looking for a place to stay when you go to Bali, relax, you've found it. Just make sure to book a few more days that you initially plan to, you'll be happy for it when you're there. I went back for one more day before I had to go home from Bali, result; Wave Guru sent me packing with a great session that had me smiling the whole flight home. And seriously, I got the best waves of my life with these guys.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jo G

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I fell in love with Bali because of this place! The surf, the food, the people... It's paradise!!

I booked my first trip to Bali less than a year ago, and mostly based on the reviews that I found on tripadvisor. Since it's a 25 hour flight for me to get there, I made sure I did my homework on the best play to stay and staying at Wave Guru was definitely the best decision I could have made.

I'm currently about to book my 3rd trip there in less than a year, that's how much I love it there! I can't say enough good things about the whole experience. Denty is an amazing chef, the food is really incredible and there is so much of it! Nick is one of the coolest guys to surf with, and I can't count how many times we scored waves on days where the rest of the island wasn't scoring much at all.

I'd love to write more but I need to book my ticket back there now. Read all the reviews, it's an easy decision to stay there if you want to surf your butt off (with no crowds), eat a ton of amazing food, and have the time of your life!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2014

look no further you have found the only place to stay and surf with in bali!!

with the words ...'paddle... paddle...' still ringing in my ears ... i can 100% recommend staying with nick and dee as my experience of wave guru was truly memorable and more than i could have ever expected!!

to start with the airport pick-up was on time and friendly... the family home is very spacious and i didn't feel like i was intruding on family life (guests have the entire first floor at their disposal) my bedroom was very comfortable, spacious and clean, the communal/lounge is great and well equipped with tv/dvd/internet/pool table/cosy seating and a lovely large balcony with bbq area and the bathroom facilities were spotless. the 3 freshly prepared daily meals were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G made with daily bought ingredients and cooked with love... no expense spared... even catering for my vegan requirement - thanks again for the almond milk nick!! in addition to the meals, there were lots of yummy treats to nibble on... fresh fruit, cakes and biscuits!! oh, and bottled water available too... so you will really want for nothing... and if you do i dare say it will be provided!

and now about the surfing... U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E and its all down to nicks amazing wealth of knowledge, experience and sheer passion for what he does, tailoring each session for individuals abilities ... he does quite literally live up to the name 'wave guru' ... he lives, breathes, sleeps, and eats surfing... and is truly one of the most amazing, kind hearted and generous spirited people i have met! a real gentleman who really knows his stuff and is keen to share and guide you in order to ensure you have an unbelievable experience. i was fortunate enough to have some one-on-one instruction and that alone was worth the price of the holiday - so thank you nick. both nick and dee are great at what they do and together they are an unstoppable team!!

i had the best week - amazing waves, brilliant surfing instruction and guidance, a lot of laughs, inspirational and entertaining conversation, great food, good music (on route to surf sites - cheers nick;-) enormous hospitality and best of all i was made to feel like part of the family.

look no further this really is the best surf experience in bali.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I recently stayed at Wave Guru Bali during a trip to Bali and only have good things to say about it. It was my first time to Bali and this was the perfect place to stay and sample the waves I'd heard so much about. Everyday I was there, I'd get be woken up early, given food and coffee, and taken to a spot somewhere in Bali that would be both firing and uncrowded. It was the same procedure in the afternoon and sometimes in the evening as well. Scoring amazing waves is literally so easy when you stay at Nicks. I'd have just been content with surfing amazing waves, but Nick and the gang go one step further and make sure your looked after and are having fun while your not surfing. There are always cold beers in the fridge, there is always good food on its way and Nick himself is a legend and is stoked for you to surf amazing waves. Wave Guru was definitely the highlight of my trip and cannot wait to go back! Cheers Nick, Curtis and Mark!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked with Wave Guru based on the positive reviews in this site. They are all true!

Nick and his merry gang of hosts are very friendly and accommodating. Staying here is like staying with family. They simply take the guesswork out of choosing the best surf spot on any given condition. They combine their superior local knowledge with up to the minute update from several of their spies on location. On the water, their knowledge of local surf conditions will save you lots of time and energy, and more importantly, keep you out of harm's way. The will also provide you with tips on how to increase your wave count. Dee is a fantastic cook, having qualified for the Indo Master Chef. What a great way to end a great surf session!

Value is simply unbeatable. You get airport transfers, accommodation, all meals, and you get taken to surf spots two to three times a day. Wow!

Rooms

The rooms are clean and perfectly suitable for the travelling surfer. Get an AC room if you can afford it. You'll be glad you did.

Location

I came to Bali to surf and the location of Wave Guru is central to many surf spots. In any case, as other reviewers have mentioned, the staff will accommodate your requirements to conduct your business at other places (massage, ding repairs, banking, etc).

Conclusion

Doing it my way in Bali now simply doesn't make sense when I can rely on the expertise of Nick and his staff. It really is a 'no-brainer'. The more you are into surfing, the more you will appreciate the value of staying at Wave Guru Bali Surf Camp.

Thanks guys! See you again soon!

Room Tip: Get an air conditioned room if you can.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank iskoolboy
Reviewed 8 May 2014

In short, Wave Guru Bali is incredible if you have come to Bali to improve your surfing or just score sick waves.

I won't be reviewing the surf. Although it is definitively world class, it would be even without Nick (the host/main waveguru) and the rest of the Wave Guru team. HOWEVER, the local knowledge and dedication to finding the best conditions suited to your skills is second to none at Wave Guru! Nick and the others always found the best spots, meaning good waves, suitable in size, with minimal crowds. During my two weeks, swells ranged from almost flat to 10 feet. We still had two or three sessions every day ranging from fun-sized walls to tear-inducing testicle-shrinking barrels. Your limits in the water will most likely be tested, but not overstepped.

Accomodation is all you need, but not super luxurious. It is basically a very nice homestay, where the guests have the second floor of a large villa to themselves. Rooms are spacious and clean. You will have to share the bathroom with other guests, but this was never a problem. I got the fan room. If you are not on a budget, go AC. It is incredibly hot in Bali, and a good night's sleep is essential to get the most out of the Wave Guru stay.

It is true that the Villa is kind of far from restaurants, nightlife etc. This won't be to much of a problem, as you will be so surfed out in the afternoon that you will likely just want to relax in the house. Also, the location means it is close to surf breaks on both the east and west coast of Bali. If I wanted to go into town, get a massage or anything else, the staff would always be helpful and give me a lift or get me a taxi (takes about 15 minutes to Kuta).

I had a great time at Wave Guru Bali. The staff is cool and friendly, and I had the best surf of my life. I can happily recommend this place to anyone, but fair warning: This is for people who want to surf, and then surf some more!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Aksel B
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I looked around for quite a while to find a place to stay/access to good surf. Wave Guru is a 'surfers camp', not a hotel, and everything is geared around finding and riding the best waves. Nick is a super-enthusiastic host, knowledgeable about all the breaks and keen to deliver the best waves to the guests. Two surfs every day, great food and hospitality courtesy of Denty (Nick's wife, and an awesome cook), and a relaxed upstairs space for chilling out. Cold beers in the fridge and lots of balcony space to relax between surfs. Monday night bbq a definite highlight! I really enjoyed the welcome, and I look forward very much to a return visit. Hard to know what could be better really -great job, Denty and Nick. Thanks for my stay (and Denty, thanks again for the airport run).

Very highly recommended!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JohnCS55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
6 mi away
Watermark Hotel & Spa Bali
#1 of 3 in Kedonganan
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
The Villas at AYANA Resort

Been to Wave Guru Bali Surf Camp? Share your experiences!