“Kick back and relax”
other travellers have booked this property
Sunset Paradise Villa Uluwatu, Bali The Joglo
Balangan Beach 20 minutes from the villa
Padang-Padang Beach, 15 minutes form the villa
Uluwatu Beach, 20 minutes form the villa
Paraglider at Pandawa Beach, 25 minutes form the villa
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Kick back and relax”
Reviewed 28 November 2011 for a stay in November 2011
person found this review helpful

I find villa life more relaxing and intimate that hotel life. Casa Viva Bali lets you rent a room in a villa in Bali at a very affordable rate. The villa is set back from the main road into a quite jungle like area. Some may not like the remote location but I found it very pleasant and relaxing to be away from the noise and exhaust fumes from passing vehicles or the sound of nightclub so often experienced in other parts of the island.

We stayed in the Penthouse Suite, which was very spacious and equipped with a small kitchen that included a cook top and an oven. A microwave would be a nice addition to the kitchen. The bedroom area was the only area that had a locking door for our room. The main area was not lockable which was not at all an issue for us in such a small setting. They do have a room safe for your valuables. The air-conditioning was only in the bedroom and was not able to cool our room adequately even after we informed them and they had it serviced by technicians. If air-conditioning is a high priority confirm that the issue has been properly resolved before booking. There is a nice view all the way to the ocean from much of the penthouse that is enjoyable. You can even look out at the ocean as you shower in the bathroom. If you happen to shower at an off time and the gardener is using the hose you will have to have him shut it off to have adequate water pressure. This only happened to us once but it did remind us that we were in Indonesia as these types of things can be common.

Complimentary breakfast is provided in the morning and is a good chance to meet the others staying in the villa. The days I stayed I choose an omelets cooked to order with some fruit and bread and fresh made juice and hot tea. I enjoyed that I could move at my own pace for breakfast and never felt rushed like you do in some hotels. It is open air dining and flies happened to be a problem at the time we were there. If you wish to enjoy nature you get the good with the bad sometimes.

One night we had the cook make us dinner as well. We had purchased some supplies from the grocery store and had her prepare them in local fashion. It was one of the better meals we had during our time in Bali. It would be pretty easy to stock the kitchen in the penthouse bring a stack of books and relax for a week and have her prepare all your meals and never leave the villa.

The staff were all very friendly and would do anything they could to make your stay in Bali a pleasant one.

One of my concerns was that other guests would not match our quite relaxing style of travel. On our visit everyone happened to be quite and did not stay up late or party into the night. I could see a problem if you had some guests that wanted to be loud all night and others that wanted to sleep.

Internet is very important to us when we travel. They have two wifi routers one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs so signal strength was never a problem. The Internet was pretty fast by local standards and was more than adequate for the work I need to do back in the US over a VPN connection.

Our last full day there in the afternoon we were unable to swim because they added pool treatment granules to the bottom of the pool. I felt it was unsafe for my 5 year old to swim in the pool. We then moved to the pool at the neighboring villa and it was pretty gross and full of dead bugs. Just another example of how things often work different in Bali.

The Construction of the property is to local standard. Some of the things that could be improved, but are very typical to the area, are: too much direct sunlight into many of the rooms heating them up in the day, railings do not seem like the would support a large person falling against them, some tiles around pool area have sharp edges, smooth tile can be slippery when wet, not able to get to some rooms dry if it is raining.

Casa Viva Bali is a great place to relax and enjoy Bali. Everyone was very easy to deal with and friendly. Just adopt the relaxed islander attitude, don’t let the little things bother you, kick back and have a good time.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Private Location
Liked least: Poor Air Conditioning
Travelling group: Family with Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
28 Nov 2011
Thank you for your extremely thorough and fair review. As a new villa we very much welcome your input and will make sure that your thoughtful advice is acted upon. For instance, we have reinforced the railing and instructed the pool guy to NEVER again add chlorine when our guests are in the villa! We are very sorry for this uncommon lack of common sense that deprived you of a swim on your last day. I also wish to take the opportunity to mention that we had a combination of heavy rains and blistering heat over the past couple of weeks that has brought out loads of bugs - from flies to butterfly-like insects in the pool. This is part of the seasonal shift from the dry to the rainy season from November until April..In a week or so this phenomenon will stop as suddenly as it appeared. In the meantime, we will add extra shifts for the pool guy.

Our air cons are high end and brand new, but the problem as the maintenance technician should have explained, is that the Bali electricity board does not provide sufficient power to our area which is quiet compared to Kuta and Seminyak. Therefore the units do not work as effectively as they could. As you said it, this is the bad that comes with the good of being in a villa surrounded by nature.

We are delighted that overall your family found the Casa a great place to relax and enjoy Bali!. .
Kiev

Paris
Reviewed 21 August 2011 for a stay in August 2011
person found this review helpful

Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Family with young children
Your age range 35-44
Recommended for:
Friends getaway A romantic getaway
People with disabilities Families with young children
Large groups Luxury-minded travelers

Reviewed 30 July 2011 for a stay in July 2011

Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 18-24
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$395
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing