“Best Hotel to stay”

Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Melbourne, Australia
“Best Hotel to stay”
Reviewed 2 December 2012

The best hotel to stay along you are in jimbaran is kupu-kupu hotel, this in just 20 minutes from denpasar international airport,
it is located near by the place wich famous of jimbaran bay sea food. beside that you may also run in the morning to get fresh air and looking for fish man just come to get the fish

Room Tip: The room one you have to choose in over looking to the ocean, sunset view
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 3 February 2013
Dear Annnei,

Thank you for your comment!

Just a note for other readers of TripAdvisor: We do not have rooms with ocean view, but all the Muaya Room have a beautiful sunset view over the hills of Jimbaran...

We hope to see you again soon in Kupu Kupu...

Thibaud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 November 2012 via mobile

2 nights in November. Paid ~US$150/night, booked in advance. Girlfriend and I who are working professionals and past our hosteling days stayed here.
1) Pros:
 A) Service:
    - friendly staff that is eager to help (helped set up taxi to airport, driver for half day, scuba dive). Never got the sense they were soliciting for tips.
   -Hotel was full, so they upgraded us to a huge family suite w/2 bedrooms (see video of room) which allowed our friend who was traveling with us to stay in the extra room. And they did not attempt to charge us for an extra person even though all three of us enjoyed the includes breakfast. We really appreciated this gesture.
B) Location:
- if you're looking to avoid the spring break/western fast food chain/young partygoer scene of Kuta and the homogenized mega resorts of nusa dua then Jimbaran is  a nice alternative on the Bukit peninsula.
 - southern beachside seafood grill 5 min walk away
- 15 min and ~30,000 rupiah (US$3) metered taxi ride to airport
- nice gateway to southern peninsula surf spots and beaches (Padang Padang, Uluwatu) without being too isolated. Met some girls hitch hiking who were staying near Padang Padang who were hitchhiking b/c they couldn't find scooters or a taxi nearby.
C) Room:
-new, clean and Huge! See uploaded video
D) Food:
- had breakfast pastries and dinner at associated chocolate cafe which was surprisingly good (I usually avoid hotel food unless it's already included) and not particularly overpriced. Included breakfast allowed for several options a la carte and was decent.
E) Free wifi and computer w/internet in lounge

2) Cons:
A) Service:
- small female receptionist dragged my backpack across the floor to the room instead of carrying it. Saw it happening once she was close to the room and when I went to pick it up another porter picked it up to carry it. Employees should probably be instructed never to drag luggage that don't have wheels on the bottom. Also, employees and guests would probably benefit from some kind of cart for larger luggage.
 - at Beach club we called for the buggy back to the hotel and waited for 45 minutes. Went to check with staff and they told us it had been called. We had a shuttle to Kuta to catch, so we just decided to walk the 5 min back to hotel. Just wished the staff had communicated that the shuttle was going to take a while or provided some kind of update, because we would have just walked back from the outset.
B) Location:
- 5 min walk to beach
-attached to a small mall instead of stand alone resort which I didn't mind, but probably  not for everybody
-Jimbaran bay/beach is mediocre in terms of scenery
C) Food:
-nitpicking, but the juice used in the welcome drink, breakfast and beach club is way too sweet, because it is sweetened with simple syrup and/or grenadine. Wish they would just serve 100% fresh juice like the rest of the places we stayed on the island.

Overall, stay was enjoyable and would likely stay there again and recommend it to friends. In order to be considered a solid 4-4.5 star hotel I think the staff would benefit from some additional training, but are otherwise doing a good job. It's not cheap, but is a decent value for the area when compared to the neighboring 4-5 star hotels (intercontinental, four seasons).

• Stayed November 2012
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 2 February 2013
Dear sak2417,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of our hotel!

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I've been working on the points that you found to be negative.

Regarding the staff who dragged your bag in the lobby, it has been followed up and we will make sure it does not happen again.

For the incident at the beach club, I have instructed the manager to provide our guests with an estimate of the waiting time for the buggy. The waiting time of 45min was unacceptable and I apologize for it: We have since invested in a new buggy to reduce the wait to a maximum of 15 min. It is true that by walking, it actually takes around 5 minutes to go back to the hotel. The access road has improved too with the construction of a new sidewalk last September.

I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in Jimbaran in the near future.

Thank you again for your stay with us,

Warmest regards from Jimbaran,

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Easy walk to Jimbaran beach restaurants and comfy beach bar but the accommodation was awkwardly arranged motel room style around a reasonable lap pool but 3 storeys up.
Breakfast bland - staff friendly enough but overall just not good value for money compared to other offerings in the area. Sorry can't recommend

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Villamallorca2
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Dear Villamallorca2,

Thank you for your comment about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran. I am sorry that you were disappointed with our rooms. We offer a unique design and I understand that it may not suit everyone's taste.

Regarding the value for money, I believe we are competitive compared to other hotels in the area. In Jimbaran, almost all properties with direct access to the beach will charge between 1,5 and 2 times more than us for a similar product. We also offer flexible rates for longer stay and we encourage our guests to book directly through us to get the best price.

Regarding the breakfast, please don't hesitate to send me a mail directly to explain why you were not satisfied with it and I will communicate your comment to the Chef. We generally receive excellent comments regarding our food for breakfast, and we actually serve a good number of outsiders every day from nearby 5-star resorts who prefer our food.

Best regards from Jimbaran

Thibaud Odeyer
thibaud@kupubarong.com
Paris, France
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed this summer at the Kupu Kupu Jimbaran. Even though we did not find much to do in Jimbaran besides the seafood of course ;-) we found the hotel particularly pleasant, zen, the rooms being spacious and particularly cosy and romantic. We will most definitely come back to this hotel on a next trip.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Jay_LB_21,

Thank you for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran and for your comment! I am glad to read that your stay went well and that you intend to come back for your next trip.

Regarding activities around Jimbaran, there are quite many things in my opinion. I often suggest the following: 1 day to relax at the beach and in the hotel. 1 day to explore the Bukit peninsula, if possible with a motorbike. 1 day to visit Nusa Dua. 1 day to visit Kuta/Seminyak.

When you come back to Bali, don't hesitate to send me an email and I'll do my best to give you detailed suggestions of activities and tours around the hotel (thibaud@kupubarong.com).

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Have stayed here twice in the past 6 months (April and July 2012). The room itself is very spacious, being on two floors where the bahroom is downstairs and bedroom is upstairs. It's a small boutique hotel not near the beach if that's what you are looking for.

The front of the hotel looks terrible and you will feel you were at the wrong place. The so-called beach club that you can enjoy is small and nothing to rave about that I didn't bother to go anymore. It's a quiet place as there is not much going on near the hotel. The L'occitane spa needs to be booked ahead of time as it's always full. But there are some nice and cheaper ones which the hotel can recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Margaret C
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Margaret C,

Thank you for your review of Kupu Kupu Jimbaran, and for your repeated stays in our hotel.

Regarding the beach club, we are planning to do some work to improve it dramatically in the next few weeks. It is true that it is small, but it is a rare feature in Jimbaran as most hotels here do not have beach facilities, especially in our price range. You are also correct to mention that we are perfect for people who are not interested in being in the beachfront only since the Jimbaran Bay is located a few minutes away from the hotel by buggy.

We would love to have you back in Kupu Kupu. If you do so, please let us know in advance. As I mentioned in previous answers, we always give the best prices to guests who book directly through us. I am reachable by email: thibaud@kupubarong.com.

Thank you again for your review and best regards from Jimbaran,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

LOCATION: yes, only go there if you want a slightly more authentic experience of Bali, if you are after touristic entertainement, Kuta is best for you. But in Jimbaran, you will avoid the crowds of tourists and the selling harrassment, drunks, noise and else that comes with it. The beach offers a magnificient sunset and you can have dinner on the beach, whether on the hotle private spot or the numerous restaurant set up on the sand. But be aware, the beach IS dirty, particularly high tide when you slalom around left overs of the dinners, rubbish brought back, beer caps and so on.

THE HOTEL: it is true, it is on top of a shopping mall...so if you are after acres of greenery and a direct access to the beach, that is NOT the place for you. Other than that, it did not bother us at all. There is a separate entrance, the mall is tiny (8 shops maybe, all nice, the mall is veyr calm and clean). You do not realise once on top that there is a mall underneath (just ground floor).
The rooms: very nice. rooms are little house with a lounge downstairs and a bathroom with separate shower and toilets and the bath tub in the middle of the room (a bit odd but definitely nice long bath tub). stair case leads to the bed room, large, super bed, nice sheets, a lot of space. There is a second TV upstairs and access to a private baclone with your lounge chairs. Air con at both level.

THE STAFF: this is where I think it all goes a bit wrong..... and I have read the Manager's answers to all complaints and see he is trying but maybe, dear Manager, spend the time you will want to on answering my comment to train the front desk staff instead... So, we arrive at half past midnight with a tired toddler...led to the room, the key does nto work, they go and get a second one, then a master key...then my husband decides to take over, looks and in 5 seconds identified that there is a key INSIDE...oups...wrong room it seems. they switched the rooms and forgot about it...not sure how the guests inside felt about it. so, next room. then I rush upstairs to check there is an extra bed or cot for my daughter...nop.... the staff tells us confidently (despite the key episode) that this is because we did not request for one. it takes off, comes back and re affirm it did not. So I pull out the emails and booking papers where clearly the request is there. at this stage, i am loosing patience and joins the army of people who complains about staff management on trip advisor.... so, here comes the cot, eventually, which is broken..and only a fitted sheet no cover sheet, which we had to call for. 1h30 am, still not in bed... The day front desk staff seemed a bit more switched on and efficient but who messed up the room switch?

THE RESTAURANT: we only went there ofr breafast and the staff, on the opposite to the front desk, was brilliant. Really nice, really helpful (I have an allergy, they could to have tried to fit the menu to my allergy more), really quick. just perfect. dear Manager, do tell them they are wonderful!
There is a menu with a choice of 4 breakfasts (Indonesian, Japanese, American and continental). Honnestly, plenty on your plate and nice. no complaint.
NOISE: maybe a real downside for me, the noise at night. The hotel is borded by roads so of course there was a lot of noise of motorbikes until 1 am. The hotel itself was veyr quiet, we had no disturbance from staff or guests. I woudl recommend maybe to ask for a room with a even number (2 - 6- 8..), they are on the side of the hotel further from the road.

CAR: the hotel has its own car park in the back, easy access. great. It is open until midnight I think and closes until early morning. There is a guard at all time I think.

FOR PARENTS with young children: well.... we have a different perspective on everything, right? So while I would have loved the room as a couple, with a toddler, those stairs were hell! and the master bed just against the rail and the empty behind.....not great. But of course, you can just keep an eye and block access. The cot used to be a good one I think, but was broken: the side that you can lower to let baby in and out would not fold back so my toddler could climb up and down and more worryingly (she sleeps in a toddler bed at home but she did fit in the cot) she could fall, so I had to block it between a wall and a heavy stool (it was on wheel and the wheels could not be blocked). So not a great option but could be worked out. We had to request a sheet the first two nights as the cot only had a fitted sheet. The pool has a clever area where there is only about 30 cm of water so kids can sit and play safely. The only thing is that the pool is above the ground so you need to monitor they do to get too close to the edge... Now, if you little one is not sensitive to noise and light, s/he will sleep well. Mine managed. Staff was veyr friendly with her.

Room Tip: Choose a room with even number.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank carolinesharp
Dear Mrs. and Mr. Sharp,

Thank you for your detailed account of your experience in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran. Please allow me to reply to you shortly. The management's response feature of TripAdvisor is a great tool for hotelier to communicate with guests and I think it is worth the time spent.

I was happy to read that you were satisfied with many aspects of the hotel: Very nice rooms, nice long bath tub, super bed, nice sheets, a lot of space, brilliant staff in the restaurant, etc....

We provide a 24-hour reception but we have limited staff from 11pm to 7am. For this reason, when guests check-in or check-out during this time, it may take longer than usual. One of our staff did make an important mistake when you checked-in. We had switched your room earlier during the day and he did not see the update on the system. I apologize for it and for the inconvenience it caused to you and your family. The person in question is an excellent employee and I had a long discussion with him to ensure that it will not happen again.

I understand that you were tired and that you wanted to sleep as soon as possible, especially with a toddler. Regarding the baby cot though, I checked again your booking on Expedia. The line for special request only had an incomplete sentence saying "We have a three year old and w". I don't know why we did not receive the rest of the message, but this explains why the baby cot was not ready upon arrival.

Regarding the noise in the rooms, your advice about the room number is correct: The 2, 4, 6, 8, etc... are located further from the road and they are very quiet.

Let me thank you again for your comment and for your stay. I hope we will see you again soon in Jimbaran.

Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

Kupu Kupu might not be a seaside resort, but is a terrific "home in Jimbaran" if you would like to enjoy luxury in room, high level of service and 24/7 staff support. We have spent one week in Kupu Kupu, second time in Bali, and we enjoyed the hotel to relax, the beach club to be at the seaside, the room service to have a variety of quality food and the butler service for all kinds of information and travel support - mostly reservations- for Bali entertainment.

The Spa is a different story. The departure lounge itself makes you wanna stay more...

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tolga E
Dear Tolga E,

Thanks a lot for your positive comment and for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we communicated your nice words to all our team!

We all hope to see you again for your next trip to Bali,

Best regards from Jimbaran,