“Disappointing”

Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane
Ranked #12 of 58 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Where do I start? This hotel is on top of a shopping centre, not good. Its a 10 minute walk to the beach or a golf buggy ride. Its noisy, you can hear the traffic from the pool ontop of the hotel. The staff were very slow and didn't seem to know what they were doing. The room we had was lovely I must admit, but apart from that I wouldn't go back again, no way. Only nice thing about it was the Japenese restaurant downstairs and breakfast was ok. But I felt boxed in and you may aswell have a hotel in the middle of any city. Not a tranquil experience at all.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Debi M
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2013

Dear Debi M,

Thank you for your stay with us and for giving us your feedback about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran.

I would just like to point that our hotel is not a typical Balinese resort with expansive garden and rice field / beach view. I am sorry if you were misled into thinking it was.

We are a concept of our own and I am the first one to admit that it does not suit every traveller.

Our strength are our beautiful rooms and long swimming pool, personalized service, good food, and easy access to many attractions and restaurants in Southern Bali. We also have our own beach club on the Jimbaran Bay, and we manage Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane (for which our customers get a generous discount).

I hope that you can come back one day to our hotel and see it with different eyes. I have met many guests here who were surprised by our property upon arrival, but later on became really found of the place.

Best regards from Jimbaran,

Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Kupu Kupu for 3 nights and my friends stayed at Ayana. Kupu Kupu represents good value for money compared to the resorts and my booking included breakfast each day which was always nice and a free one hour treatment at the spa. Wifi is free and location is a 5 min walk from the bay (not so crash hot) and also shops etc downstairs is great so you don't have to eat on site all the time. The pool isnt that flash and it can be a bit sticky and warm in the onsite chocolate cafe but Overall a good option. Rooms are nice, clean and well air conditioned.

• Stayed: January 2013
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

Dear ReneeTK,

Thank you very much for your comment and for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran.

I believe we are a perfect alternative to other more expensive resorts indeed. We are a unique concept, in-between a resort and a city hotel. We definitely have a Balinese/holiday vibe, though still conveniently located in the city, with easy access to shops and restaurants.

I took note that the Chocolate Café can be a bit warm during the day as well.

We hope to see you again soon in Jimbaran. Please contact us directly by mail, phone or through our website to get the best rates and special offers.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Nice room, nice staffs. Rooms located at 3rd floor. Swimming pool located at Muaya Suite area. Uluwatu suite, where we stayed, located a litle bit further to the swimming pool. The room was very suitable for honeymoon, the place was quiet and peaceful. The bathroom amenities were from L'Occitane, the hot water shower was functioning well.
At 2nd floor, there is Bamboo Spa by L'Occitance. We got free spa for 60 minutes, and we must say the massage was great! At ground floor, there were restaurant, bookstore, pharmacy. A small convenient store (circle K) located 2-3 minute walk from the suite.
The hotel located 10 minutes walk from the beach. You can use the hotel's buggy for 3 mins transportation to the beach but it was not available during our stay. Many seafood restaurants on the beach other than their club, JBC. The beach is clean and nice but not white sand beach. Unfortunately, neither sunset nor sunrise could be seen from the beach.

Dear Sadi K

Thank you for your stay with us during your honeymoon and for your feedback. I find your comment very objective, true and comprehensive.

Regarding the sunset, it can actually be seen completely from the beach from around May to October. Only from November to April, the sun disappears on the hills where the Four Seasons hotel is located... Anytime of the year, I find the sky at sunset time truly beautiful in Bali...

We hope to see you again in the near future, do not hesitate to contact us directly to enjoy our best rates and offers.

Best regards from Jimbaran,

Reviewed 23 December 2012

We have just checked in. Finally. We arrived a couple of hours early before the check in time of 2pm and they couldn't find our reservation. They gave us the excuse that the "office" was closed because it was sunday, then the news came back that the office was locked. We showed the desk staff the confirmation email from Booking.com, she requested that we forward it to them... At this point she informed us that we couldn't check in anyway. Kind of annoying, why didn't she say that at the outset instead of us waiting 30 mins? She suggested we have lunch. We opted for the beach front restaurant. I ordered the sardines, which tasted so dodgy I didn't eat any more that 1 bite, and my partner ordered the beef burger, which the waitress mis-heard as beef steak. My quibble is that when the mistake was discovered she handled it very badly. She didn't apologise, she argued that that is what he ordered and what was she supposed to do with the beef steak, did he want to order the beef burger in addition to the beef steak. Really irritating. My partner ended up eating the beef steak which was very good. I ate a plate of greasy french fries. Needless to say we will not eat there again. It's a question of training. Honest mistakes are forgivable, it depends on how they are dealt with.

we have yet to sleep in the room, so another review to follow

12  Thank DomingoBishop

Dear DomingoBishop,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel and our beach club.

I am sorry that your arrival in the hotel was disappointing and that the check-in was not done in an efficient way.

At the time of your booking, it is true that our office was closed (Sunday). We have changed our procedure since and bookings are checked regularly even on Sunday to avoid last minute confusion.

Our front office agent did not handle the situation well and we will further train our staff to deal with that kind of situation. From the moment you arrived, he should have explained that our check-in time is at 2pm and then he should have presented you various options for you to help you wait. We have 4 restaurants, but also a lounge in which guests can relax, watch TV and take a shower until their room is ready.

If our guests require an early check-in, we always try to accommodate their need based on our occupancy. During high season, it can be difficult however.

Regarding the beach restaurant, I'm sorry about the incident with the food. I have reminded the restaurant manager about our procedure to handle that kind of mistake and I will make sure with him that it reaches the staff. I understand your frustration as this simple mistake was not dealt with properly.

Your review was actually written before you had slept in the hotel. I am curious to hear how the rest of your stay went. Please let me know about your comments here on TripAdvisor, or simply by email: Thibaud@kupubarong.com.

Thank you again for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran

Best regards,

Reviewed 12 December 2012

the room was so nice,we had a good experience in this hotel,all staff very kind,its a best place to stay when you are in bali,but a bit sad because i stayed with my baby 6 month so i cant enjoy my free time in here
very good for couple and honeymoon,and got free buggy to the beach the beach also nice quiet not like in kuta beach
for all the thing is the staff was so nice they do their job perfectly with the smile and kindness

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Surya P

Dear Surya P,

Thank you for your comment about our hotel, and specifically about our staff! I'm glad that you found them to be all nice and I will share your comment with them.

As you mention, we are a popular hotel for couples and honeymooners as we are rather intimate and the design of our room is unique. If you ever want to come again to the hotel for a weekend getaway, don't forget to contact our reservation directly or to book on our own website to get the best rates and offers!

Thank you again for your stay and feedback,

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 December 2012

The staff were all very friendly & courteous. The service were execellence.
Breakfast & food served at Jimbaran Beach club was good.
Location of the hotel is within a small shopping centre, easily accessible to shops, restaurants & within 3mins ride to Jimbaran Beach with the popular beach seafood restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms at end of corrider are quieter

Dear OngSS83,

Thank you for your feedback about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran and for trusting us with your stay during your honeymoon!

If you ever come to Jimbaran again, do not hesitate to contact our reservation directly or to book through our website to benefit from our special offers and discount rates!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Where to start?! Been thinking about writing this review since day 1 because I wanted to share my experience which is so different to others.

For info: We paid $600 for 4 night. It was the last week of November and we had the Duplex Room (#9).

I was a bit worried after booking because I saw bad reviews I hadn't spotted originally which claimed (unfairly in my opinion) few bad things: "above a shopping center", "far from the beach", "bad breakfast", etc.

I have to say that we found none of this was justified.

First of all, my biggest worry was the "above a shopping center" thing. The hotel is a ROOFTOP hotel above a very posh shopping "center". Yes it's called the "Shopping Center" but it has a Spa, restaurants, wine shops and few expensive clothing store. Far from the bad thing I imagined!

I think people were annoyed because it's about 7 min walk (which we never did because there is a free golf buggy to take us there in 3 minutes) from the beach. Never waited more than 3-4 min for it.

Next, we want to personally thank Diane (we left on her day off) the butler for her incredible help to make our stay so pleasant. She was always around smiling, helping us (should say organizing) with trips, drivers, etc. We cannot thank her enough for the trip to Lembongan island. One of the best thing we did during our 14 days.

Finally, few extra things:
- Nice breakfast (okkk fresh juice is nicer)
- Free buggy to beach club
- Free beach club! (not your towel on the beach)
- Free daily transport to Nusa Dua or Kuta
- Very nice and modern room
- Free wifi (ok, not perfectly everywhere in the room)
- Nice infinity pool (enjoyed few late night swim and beer in it!)
- Location: 3 min walk on the beach from the awesome Jimbaran beach restaurants (suggest Menega and New Bayang (bbq fish)
- and I'm sure more

Not unique but we could use the SPA facilities the day of our departure to use the shower as we had a late flight. Nice.

I may be wrong but for that price, I'm sure it hard to find such high quality.

Unless I stay elsewhere in Bali (perhaps Seminyak) I'd go back.

Room Tip: The duplex room was only few dollars extra, go for it!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mr_Muna

Dr Mr_Muna,

Thank you for sharing your experience about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran on TripAdvisor.

Regarding the previous comments about our property, I think the problem was that many people did not expect the hotel to be on top of a building, but on the ground. For this reason, some expectations were not met and people were disappointed. We all understand that and that's why we do our best to inform people about our location.

Dian is a very kind butler and I have shared with her your wonderful comment. Thank you on her behalf!

Regarding the orange juice, it is not squeezed on request, but it is fresh and delivered every morning to the hotel. We do not add any water or sugar to it.

If you ever plan to come back to Jimbaran, do not hesitate to contact directly our reservation to get our best rates and offers, or to book directly on our website.

Thank you again for your stay and comment,

Warmest regards from Jimbaran,