“Very Nice but”

Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Stayed 3 nights at Kupu Kupu, very nice huge room, we were in 23, clean, separate bath tub, separate toilet, separate shower , nice and peaceful, pool is a lap pool on the roof top, very small really, breakfast is not buffett but really really nice, staff is friendly,location is OK, Jimbaren Bay really doesn't have much street atmosphere, it's pretty old and not many, if none street restaurants, only the seafood restaurants on the beach are for tourists. I probably won't stay in Jimbaren Bay again, unless your seeking complete isolation, don't stay in Jimbaren.

Room Tip: Uluwatu section room 23
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jakebluesPerth
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

Dear jakebluesPerth,

Thank you for sharing your experience about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran on TripAdvisor. I believe that you were happy with your stay but it seems like you found Jimbaran not to be interesting.

It is true that Jimbaran by itself has little to offer apart from the beach, but on the upside, it remains authentic. Tourists do not outnumber locals like in Nusa Dua, Kuta or Seminyak and if you spend some time around the market, you will see that the Balinese lifestyle is still vibrant.

It is a fast developing area though, with new restaurants and hotels opening every month. It is also close from the airport, and from here you are at the crossing between Uluwatu, Nusa Dua and Kuta: A perfect base to explore South Bali...

If you come again to Bali, don't hesitate to contact me directly by email (thibaud@kupubarong.com) and I'll be happy to share some tips about the best beaches and activities around Jimbaran!

Thank you again for your stay with us,

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Where do I start? This hotel is on top of a shopping centre, not good. Its a 10 minute walk to the beach or a golf buggy ride. Its noisy, you can hear the traffic from the pool ontop of the hotel. The staff were very slow and didn't seem to know what they were doing. The room we had was lovely I must admit, but apart from that I wouldn't go back again, no way. Only nice thing about it was the Japenese restaurant downstairs and breakfast was ok. But I felt boxed in and you may aswell have a hotel in the middle of any city. Not a tranquil experience at all.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Debi M
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2013

Dear Debi M,

Thank you for your stay with us and for giving us your feedback about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran.

I would just like to point that our hotel is not a typical Balinese resort with expansive garden and rice field / beach view. I am sorry if you were misled into thinking it was.

We are a concept of our own and I am the first one to admit that it does not suit every traveller.

Our strength are our beautiful rooms and long swimming pool, personalized service, good food, and easy access to many attractions and restaurants in Southern Bali. We also have our own beach club on the Jimbaran Bay, and we manage Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane (for which our customers get a generous discount).

I hope that you can come back one day to our hotel and see it with different eyes. I have met many guests here who were surprised by our property upon arrival, but later on became really found of the place.

Best regards from Jimbaran,

Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Kupu Kupu for 3 nights and my friends stayed at Ayana. Kupu Kupu represents good value for money compared to the resorts and my booking included breakfast each day which was always nice and a free one hour treatment at the spa. Wifi is free and location is a 5 min walk from the bay (not so crash hot) and also shops etc downstairs is great so you don't have to eat on site all the time. The pool isnt that flash and it can be a bit sticky and warm in the onsite chocolate cafe but Overall a good option. Rooms are nice, clean and well air conditioned.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear ReneeTK,

Thank you very much for your comment and for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran.

I believe we are a perfect alternative to other more expensive resorts indeed. We are a unique concept, in-between a resort and a city hotel. We definitely have a Balinese/holiday vibe, though still conveniently located in the city, with easy access to shops and restaurants.

I took note that the Chocolate Café can be a bit warm during the day as well.

We hope to see you again soon in Jimbaran. Please contact us directly by mail, phone or through our website to get the best rates and special offers.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Nice room, nice staffs. Rooms located at 3rd floor. Swimming pool located at Muaya Suite area. Uluwatu suite, where we stayed, located a litle bit further to the swimming pool. The room was very suitable for honeymoon, the place was quiet and peaceful. The bathroom amenities were from L'Occitane, the hot water shower was functioning well.
At 2nd floor, there is Bamboo Spa by L'Occitance. We got free spa for 60 minutes, and we must say the massage was great! At ground floor, there were restaurant, bookstore, pharmacy. A small convenient store (circle K) located 2-3 minute walk from the suite.
The hotel located 10 minutes walk from the beach. You can use the hotel's buggy for 3 mins transportation to the beach but it was not available during our stay. Many seafood restaurants on the beach other than their club, JBC. The beach is clean and nice but not white sand beach. Unfortunately, neither sunset nor sunrise could be seen from the beach.

Dear Sadi K

Thank you for your stay with us during your honeymoon and for your feedback. I find your comment very objective, true and comprehensive.

Regarding the sunset, it can actually be seen completely from the beach from around May to October. Only from November to April, the sun disappears on the hills where the Four Seasons hotel is located... Anytime of the year, I find the sky at sunset time truly beautiful in Bali...

We hope to see you again in the near future, do not hesitate to contact us directly to enjoy our best rates and offers.

Best regards from Jimbaran,

Reviewed 23 December 2012

We have just checked in. Finally. We arrived a couple of hours early before the check in time of 2pm and they couldn't find our reservation. They gave us the excuse that the "office" was closed because it was sunday, then the news came back that the office was locked. We showed the desk staff the confirmation email from Booking.com, she requested that we forward it to them... At this point she informed us that we couldn't check in anyway. Kind of annoying, why didn't she say that at the outset instead of us waiting 30 mins? She suggested we have lunch. We opted for the beach front restaurant. I ordered the sardines, which tasted so dodgy I didn't eat any more that 1 bite, and my partner ordered the beef burger, which the waitress mis-heard as beef steak. My quibble is that when the mistake was discovered she handled it very badly. She didn't apologise, she argued that that is what he ordered and what was she supposed to do with the beef steak, did he want to order the beef burger in addition to the beef steak. Really irritating. My partner ended up eating the beef steak which was very good. I ate a plate of greasy french fries. Needless to say we will not eat there again. It's a question of training. Honest mistakes are forgivable, it depends on how they are dealt with.

we have yet to sleep in the room, so another review to follow

12  Thank DomingoBishop

Dear DomingoBishop,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel and our beach club.

I am sorry that your arrival in the hotel was disappointing and that the check-in was not done in an efficient way.

At the time of your booking, it is true that our office was closed (Sunday). We have changed our procedure since and bookings are checked regularly even on Sunday to avoid last minute confusion.

Our front office agent did not handle the situation well and we will further train our staff to deal with that kind of situation. From the moment you arrived, he should have explained that our check-in time is at 2pm and then he should have presented you various options for you to help you wait. We have 4 restaurants, but also a lounge in which guests can relax, watch TV and take a shower until their room is ready.

If our guests require an early check-in, we always try to accommodate their need based on our occupancy. During high season, it can be difficult however.

Regarding the beach restaurant, I'm sorry about the incident with the food. I have reminded the restaurant manager about our procedure to handle that kind of mistake and I will make sure with him that it reaches the staff. I understand your frustration as this simple mistake was not dealt with properly.

Your review was actually written before you had slept in the hotel. I am curious to hear how the rest of your stay went. Please let me know about your comments here on TripAdvisor, or simply by email: Thibaud@kupubarong.com.

Thank you again for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran

Reviewed 12 December 2012

the room was so nice,we had a good experience in this hotel,all staff very kind,its a best place to stay when you are in bali,but a bit sad because i stayed with my baby 6 month so i cant enjoy my free time in here
very good for couple and honeymoon,and got free buggy to the beach the beach also nice quiet not like in kuta beach
for all the thing is the staff was so nice they do their job perfectly with the smile and kindness

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Surya P

Dear Surya P,

Thank you for your comment about our hotel, and specifically about our staff! I'm glad that you found them to be all nice and I will share your comment with them.

As you mention, we are a popular hotel for couples and honeymooners as we are rather intimate and the design of our room is unique. If you ever want to come again to the hotel for a weekend getaway, don't forget to contact our reservation directly or to book on our own website to get the best rates and offers!

Thank you again for your stay and feedback,

Reviewed 10 December 2012

The staff were all very friendly & courteous. The service were execellence.
Breakfast & food served at Jimbaran Beach club was good.
Location of the hotel is within a small shopping centre, easily accessible to shops, restaurants & within 3mins ride to Jimbaran Beach with the popular beach seafood restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms at end of corrider are quieter

Dear OngSS83,

Thank you for your feedback about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran and for trusting us with your stay during your honeymoon!

If you ever come to Jimbaran again, do not hesitate to contact our reservation directly or to book through our website to benefit from our special offers and discount rates!

Warmest regards,