“Short break”

Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Jimbaran
Shanghai
“Short break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

My husband and I recently stayed 5 days at the Intercontinental in Bali, this was our second visit and we were not disappointed. The feeling of calm and serenity came over us on entering the lobby. We were in a club room and felt the facilities and extras which came along with this fully met our expectations. The staff are what truly make this hotel and break memorable, attention to detail and their warmth make you feel like a valued guest and not just a holiday maker. Only slight hiccup is that the rooms may now be in need of a slight update, but that being said it was spotless clean.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Stephane D, Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this review, 16 December 2011
Dear Gibbyduthe,

Thank you for taking the time to share a few details regarding your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing break and that our service and facilities were to your satisfaction. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again on future visits to the island of Bali and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

After many recommendations of my grandfather, friends and even on Twitter, I booked a two night stay at the Intercontinental in Bali but because many people said to me to stay longer, I made an extra reservation for one extra night.

One day after my reservation I got an email from the reservation department with details of my reserved rooms. But it was just not an email for letting me know my room is confirmed but they wanted to know my flight details and they offered me many times an airport transfer. In all my emails with the hotel, they wanted to offer me the private car for 12USD or the minivan at 21USD.

In the days before our arrival, I confirmed the transfer from the airport to the hotel and I got a confirmation email back.

Our flight arrived a bit late from Kuala Lumpur and after a long queue at immigration we finally came at the arrival hall. There everyone tries to change your money but actually the rate at the airport is much better than the rate in the hotel.

Our driver was waiting for us in uniform with a sign of the Intercontinental hotel Bali. We went to him and he double checked our name on the list. He took our luggage and called the driver who was parked at the airport. Then man waiting for us was Mr. Suardisa, who was extremely friendly. We ordered a private car but a hotel minivan showed up and our luggage was put in the back of the car. We received some bottled water and cold towels. Both staff members were friendly and explained us some things about the hotel and about Bali.

After 20 minutes we arrived at the hotel but before we entered the premises, the car was checked by some security guards and military people. We were at the entrance and some staff members took our luggage and I had to sign our taxi bill at the transportation desk at the left. A dong was sounded when we came in.

Above the stairs, Ms. Asih was waiting for us and took us to the ambassador and priority club check in. We are platinum priority club members and also ambassador members. We got again there at the private check in some cold towels and a welcome drink. We were asked for our passports and a credit card. Ms. Asih came back and told us we got an upgrade from a Classic room to a Singaraja room located in the Singaraja wing. She also said we were not given the ambassador late checkout till 16.00 because the name on the card is not exactly the same as in my passport. I was not happy with it but thought I arranged it the next day.

Our luggage was taken to our room on the 3rd floor of the wing. We had to use the elevator for our luggage at all the way at the end on the left side was our room. I asked to Mr. Wiarta to wait a moment outside while I made some pictures. He was very friendly and helpful.

The room was quite big and roomy. On the left side was the bathroom with separate bath and rain shower. In the bathroom was also a sink and off course a toilet separated with a glass door. There were no bottled toiletries, only refillable stone bottles with shampoo, conditioner and shower gel.

Between the bathroom and bedroom was a walk-though closet with a safe, umbrellas and bathrobes.

We had a very big King size bed in our bedroom , a big TV with that annoying Intercontinental ad, desk, sofa and a little table. To the right of the sofa was a big cupboard with a mini bar in it. We also had a small terrace with some lounge chairs. There were no curtains so in the morning it was already very light in the room. There was a ventilator but it did not work. The room was overall in an older condition and it was clearly visible.

In the room, we got daily 4 bottles of complimentary mineral water and also a small ambassador welcome gift with a fruit basket. We also received some letters and an evacuation plan in case of a tsunami.

We received a map of the resort and we were explained were the restaurants are and we were hungry so went to the Jimbaran garden restaurant for diner. All the paths in the resort had candles on it and it had a nice atmosphere.

We sat down on the terrace and ordered the meat in curry and sirloin steak. Service was good and we received some bread with pesto and another red sauce but the red one was not tasty at all. My curry dish looked nice with different plates with rice and vegetables in it. The steak was also good.

In the resort a service charge around 10 percent and a governmental tax of 10 is added to the bill. It is mandatory and each staff member gets it percent of the service charge. Prices in the resort are very high and even for European visitors even more expensive than in Europe itself.

We had a good night sleep and our wakeup call was on time. We had breakfast in the main restaurant next to the reception. We were asked for our room number and were lead to a table. Even though probably 5 tables closer to the buffet were available, we were seated at the back of the restaurant. Staff is friendly and asked for our drinks. The buffet area is big and has even a juice bar. A station for eggs and an immense amount of fruit is available. There was a massive choice with Chinese, European and American kinds of food. The only thing I did not see was smoked salmon. There were many kinds of breads and hot dishes. Service was good but not excellent.

After breakfast we went to the concierge Mr. Agus who was very friendly. We asked him what we could do the next day if we wanted to see something of Bali. He suggested to take the hotel car and said some sights to see. We reserved the car and the driver for next morning but the driver was not a guide. We also asked for jet skiing, he called a company and we reserved a ride on a jet ski there. They came even to pick us up, free of charge.

We prepared ourselves and were picked up on time and had a good time at sea. In the afternoon we sat at the pool and enjoyed the weather in Bali. Mr. Wayan brought us a white flag which we could raise if we needed something. We were hungry so ordered chicken sates and a club sandwich. After five minutes we got our drinks and after 25 minutes our food. Both dishes were good and tasty. Price again quite high but we have not much choice when staying in the resort.

The resort has direct beach access and a few pools. The main pool is big and has a good temperature and is clean. There is always supervision. During our afternoon I heard the annoying sound of staff members ringing a bell of a food cart next to the beach. I got mad about it. Service was excellent and everyone was friendly.

In the afternoon we got a message in the room that the tour for next day was confirmed but I wasn’t happy that we did not get the late check out so I went to the lobby and asked for the duty manager. After a few minutes Ms. Prama came to me and I explained the situation and I mentioned we had a flight few minutes for 10 PM. She told me she could not confirm anything yet but she would contact me the next day.
In the evening we had a drink at the bar on the west side of the resort, staff there especially Mr. Andika was very friendly and the only bad thing is that the bar is open till only 11PM.

Next morning, breakfast was again good and at 09.00 we were ready in the lobby. There was another concierge and showed us the car, the same minivan that picked us up from the airport. Our driver was Mr. Dharmadi and spoke surprising good English. We got in and then he asked where we would go to. The day before the concierge told us he would brief the driver but unfortunately he did not do that. Mr. Dharmadi ran inside and came back quickly. He would show us a typical Balinese house, a temple and a rice field. We got again some water and cold towels. On the way he explained us some history and when we passed famous things he too explained us what it was. A few hours later we were on our way back and he asked us if we wanted to see more but he was asking a bit too much and he kept asking for it. We wanted to have some sun so we head back to the hotel. Our driver was very helpful and could explain us many things on our way.

At the reception is a currency exchange but the rate is not good at all so we had to go outside the resort for an ATM.

I got a message from Ms. Prama telling us we could have a late checkout till 14.00 but no later. I was not very satisfied so headed to the Singaraja Concierge and asked if they could so something. Mr. Sam, Arya and Gede said no but in cooperation with the FO manager and Ms. Meli, we got our late checkout till 16.00, after that we could use the famous departure lounge.

Next morning I had to ask again to check the ventilator because it was still not working. Breakfast was again good but this time service was not good at all. I ordered a hot chocolate but it did not came. The lady forgot it but I did not see a waiter at that time because they were talking to each other for a while.

We checked out at 16.00 and left our luggage at the reception and had lunch again at the Jimbaran gardens. Food and service was again good.

We took our luggage and we were brought to the departure lounge, it has to be a very nice and cozy lounge for leaving guests who need to change themselves or need to take a shower.

We arrived at the lounge, the lounge were two ordinary rooms. One on the left side was occupied and people were inside. The bathroom was also occupied and we heard some strange noises coming out it. There was an old TV, water and some snacks.

So we headed to the right side of the lounge, also a room with some chairs and a bathroom. We just came from a swim so we needed a shower. The bathroom was amazingly dirty, really disgusting. Dirty towels everywhere, open toiletries, full trash bins and dirt everywhere ! Toilet dirty and smelly, … It was really disgusting and probably not cleaned that day.

The lounge was really not five stars worth, not even two stars. A shame and a bad finish of our trip. That also the reason I cannot give the hotel a five out of five.

Now the hotel, the location is very good with taxis available and one of the best beaches. Internet is very expensive and there is no free internet, nowhere.

We ordered an airport transfer at 19.00 and at 18.59 we were outside and asked to Mr. I B Ngurah that we ordered a transfer. It did not come and only ten minutes later the car came and our luggage was put in it and we left. The transfer took an hour because of traffic jams.

Overall a good impression but many things can be better and prices can be much cheaper .

Room Tip: Take a club room and avoid the departure longe
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank Max W
Dear liveyourlifegood,

Thank you for such a detailed account regarding your recent stay with us. I hope that your time with us was a relaxing experience.

You highlighted that late check out was only extended until 14.00. We regret that our Ambassador membership benefit is not transferable to you but we are pleased to hear this situation was resolved by Ibu Meli, Concierge for Singaraja rooms.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the appearance of the Departure Lounge. We have discussed the matters that you have raised, as the satisfaction of all our guests is very important to us. We are working on an action plan that will ensure that in the future guests using the Departure Lounge will be pleased with their experience.

Thank you for your constructive comments which allow us to improve our service.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Our family of 4 stayed @ the Intercontinental Jimbarab Bay during July school holidays in Australia 2011. We had an interconnecting Singaraja rooms on the 3rd level facing the ocean with the view of it's luscious garden that we wake up to every morning for the next 7 days stay there. The rooms were so spacious and very modern with all their amenities...the breakfast we had every morning was so superb, with the usual Balinese warm greetings from the staffs and their services that was never to small for them to accommodate.
The food was wonderful, ranging from the local cuisine to any international surprises, the boys LOVE the pancakes/waffles and the local bakery..
My husband and I love the fresh juices and of course their traditional herbs drinks..to start our morning..
The swimming pools were so amazing, with 6 pools to choose from, we couldn't go wrong..plus the beach was only a step away.
At night we ate away from the hotel and walk along the beach area where they have local seafood restaurants that serves not only a very delicious and succulent seafood cooked anyway you want plus other international food as well..with night lights filled the starry sky, it is so romantic even though children were everywhere..
The Gym was another place to mentioned..be there prior to 0700 am or after 10 am..do the Spa ladies and also gentlemen..you will be in heaven on heaven!!!!!.
I' m sure I have forgotten to mention more..but this place is so MAGICAL that we can't wait to go back again..
Thank you Intercontinental for making our stay more than just a holiday...;););)

Room Tip: Ask for an interconnecting room for family, it doesn't matter what type of rooms..they all are g...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RUMABADA
Stephane D, Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this review, 17 December 2011
Dear Rumabada,

Thank you for taking the time to share some of the details regarding your recent family holiday. I am delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience and enjoyed all of our services and facilities. We look forward to welcoming your family back to the Resort on future travels to the island of Bali.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Intercontinental Bali for a few nights of our honeymoon in February of 2011. The Hotel is beautiful and really gives you the feel of being on the grounds of a temple in Bali. The hotel staff was great. We upgraded to a club room a few days before we left and when we checked in they upgraded us to a Jimbaran Suite which was a fabulous 2 level suite. The staff were all excellent and extremely helpful. We did a couples massage while at the resort and it was very romantic. The main pool was great, we were a little disappointed since we paid to upgrade to a club room for use of the private club room pool only to find out it was closed for referbishment while we were there so we had to use the main pool. We also used the inspiration space to rent a hotel vehicle with driver and an english speaking tour guide for a full day tour of the island one day. We highly recommend that. I think it cost us $100 US for the day for use of the vehicle, driver and guide and we had our own personal guided tour of the island. Keep in mind they do make you stop at certain workshops or wood carving stores so the locals can try and sell you things. You don't have to buy anything but they do several of these stops along the way and pass them off as seeing the local culture, it's really the locals selling items to tourists. But, as long as you know that in advance, the rest of the tour is great and full of local information and they tailored it to what we wanted to see. Truly a great hotel and great setting and definitely a great location for a honeymoon. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aspenpc
Stephane D, Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this review, 15 December 2011
Dear Aspenpc,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us to celebrate your honeymoon earlier this year. I am glad that you found the Resort to your liking and that you took the time to explore the island with an experienced guide. It is unfortunate that the Club Pool was temporarily under renovation during your time with us, however, I am sure that our choice of other swimming pools satisfied your leisure needs. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort on future travels to the island of Bali.

Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Very nice hotel. Spotless, great staff, good food. My only complaint is that it felt a bit like a hotel in Waikiki. Very family oriented, and not really a Bali feel, just a big, nice resort. Pretty expensive as well, but if you want a nice place in Bali, this is it. Seafood on Jimbaran beach right next door to the hotel was amazing.

Dear Smittydhc,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay. I trust that your time with us was a relaxing experience. I regret that you felt the Resort lacked a Balinese feel. This is an issue that has never been raised by other guests and we appreciate that you have brought it to our attention. Perhaps property's size prevented you from noticing our collection of local art works and design elements that honour the island's unique cultural heritage. I hope that you will consider staying with us again on future travels to the island of Bali.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

The hotel is worth every penny you shell out. Its huge place to say the least (you need a map at least on the first 2 days to roam in the hotel) and yet every nook and corner is well maintained and clean. Hats off!! The quality of the hotel souvenirs like lotion, soap, slippers, etc is fabulous and so natural. The Singaraja bedroom was huge and posh. There are lounging and sunbathing areas on the pool. 3 multi cuisine restaurants. To add to it, the beautiful Jimbaran sunset beach is right outside the hotel where there are eateries on the beach which serve fabulous food too. I can't say enough for this hotel. You have to see it to believe it! Loved every bit of it!!

Dear MansiDM,

Thank you for taking the time to share your personal impressions of the Resort. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay and that our services and facilities were to your satisfaction. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again on future visits to the island of Bali and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Caloundra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

First room had a fairly ordinary smell to it but the hotel was happy to both change and upgrade the room to something that was fantastic. The Intercontinental Bali caters to you at any hour of the day or night - in typical Balinese style and hospitality - stay there, don't hesitate, it's slightly run down but that's part of the character. I'll be back there again.

Room Tip: Go for the 2 story
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Simon H
Stephane D, Manager at INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Dear Simon H,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay. I am glad that we were able to accommodate your needs by upgrading you to a more suitable room category. The Resort pride itself on delivering a unique style of Balinese hospitality and I hope that you choose to experience it again on future travels to the island.

Warm regards,
Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
Le Meridien Bali Jimbaran
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,399 reviews
Jamahal Private Resort & SPA
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Jimbaran Bay
The Westin Resort Nusa Dua

Been to INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort? Share your experiences!