“Family friendly resort”

INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed 13 June 2010

The rooms were gorgeous and spacious, very clean and comfortable. Loved the scent of the amenities. It's a family friendly resort where children can be entertained and the pools in the resort were outstanding. There is also a lounge area where residents can cool down and refersh with juice, fruits etc which was FOC. This is an excellent area to cool down after sunbathing. Good selection of breakfast and very good service. Would recommend to couples and families.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank thegrimhotelier

Reviewed 13 June 2010

After a previous short trip to Bali with a friend, we decided to return this time with our respective families. A Kids Club was a prerequisite, what with 3 high energy busybodies traveling with us. A short research threw up the Intercont among others and was selected as the deal looked good and the website promised a perfect package with activities for adults and kids alike.
Starting with a courteous van transfer from the airport, with chilled bottles of water and fragrant cold towels, we were soon upgraded to Singaraja rooms as they were not able to give us adjoining rooms in our chosen category. A plus, as we now had access to the refreshments at the Singaraja concierge - chocolate or oatmeal cookies, biscotti, fruit, iced Rosella tea (I truly recommend this refreshing drink after the pool). The subtly garlicky pea uts that came with the drinks by the poolside were pretty addictive, too!
Kids' Club - a plus if the grownups want to step out for a coupla hours. Be sure to choose a Fun Session for five hours for SGD20 as it includes a full meal at the restaurant,too and so, good value. The older kids 9&10y.o. grumbled about the playstation and Wii not working and were not keen on going back again. My 5 y.o. daughter was quite happy with the activities.
Room Service - exhorbitant by any stretch of imAgination. A kids mini hot dog is more than 10SGD even though it is half the standard size and comes with a fruit and some veggie
slices on the side. Option: call in from Peppenero..an excellent Italian Eatery in Jimbaran. Superb value for gourmet quality thin wood fired pizzas, salads n pasta! A good place to eat out with the brood, too!
Another priceless option for the not-so-fussy foodies who love to savor the local fare is the Bakso 39 shack which is a 15 min walk towards Jimbaran market. We loved the Ayam Soto and chilli sauce. Fresh chicken broth simmering with Herbs, shredded chicken, bean sprouts, and fried shallots - for an incredible SGD1 ( one!).
A must-do at the InterCont is the Balinese Cooking session with Sous Chef Suarjaya. An hour well spent if you are the cooking types and open to the experience. We sampled all the yum food that we watched being cooked. Loved the session!
The breakfast spread is comprehensive and the waffles and pancake counter was a huge hit with the kids. I loved the local fare and the variety of juices. The Jamu blend is a must-have every morning.
All in all, service standards were outstanding and consistently courteous, friendly and helpful. The Resort Concierge team deserve a special mention for assisting us at all times with our touristy queries. A thumbs up to the Intercont for families with children...just choose eating options wisely else it will burn a hole in your pockets!! Venture out and try Peppeniro in Jimbaran ( try the Pumpkin- filled Ravioli with sage butter sauce) or Cafe Bali in Seminyak ( out of this world food, ambience and surprising un-Bali prices!!) - try the quesadillas, smoked salmon n mango salad n capuchhino. Brilliant!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chilliprawn
Reviewed 10 June 2010

i stayed at Intercontinental Bali for 5 days in June 2010 with my wife and two kids. we chose the club intercontinental room which offers some perks such as all day snacks for free at the club lounge. all in all the service was excellent, every staff has a pleasant disposition and were quick and efficient with their service. the room was quite big and amenities were adequate too.

what i personally liked best was the landscaping- very well manicured and maintained. it actually feels a little like a japanese garden.

as a family that goes on resort holiday quite often, we find intercontinental to be rather dull. compared to say Marriot of Phuket, the resort has limited activities and play area for children. its planet trekker- a play area for kids- is boring according to my son. its does not have a children dedicated pool. our best part of the kids activities was done outside the resort- surfing at legion!

my biggest complaint though is the quality and variety of food on the resort. i don't have much expectation from breakfast buffet as they are pretty much the same everywhere, but even their italian and japanese restaurants are disappointing too. ambience wise they are nice, but food, especially the seafood, aren't fresh. the club lounge serves snacks throughout the day for guests staying at the club intercontinental rooms but again the food quality is simply not great. we had breakfast at the italian restaurant one morning for a change and the tea served was lukewarm-cold. for the price they charged at the restaurants, i honestly think they should up one or two notches in their quality.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank azechan
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I arrived at the hotel at 5 june in the afternoon,the check in is quick,in no time im in Singaraja room.Got what I requested near lobby with a view(Lagoon view),the room was nice & dusty,with absolutely no clock at the room.I hit the beach to watch the sunset & the view was nice,the beach is nicer than Westin.I ordered room service which was fast(soto ayam & french fries),price was very expensive and portion somewhat small.
Breakfast at Bella Singaraja was an excellent choice because its location near the beach and have an ocean view.The staff was all nice and not giggling too much so I can enjoyed my time.
Later in the afternoon I try eating at Jimbaran Garden resto,everything was expensive (this is the hotel coffee shop)<location was nice near the pool.I ordered mix satay and banana milkshake,the satay was nice ,although the chicken still raw on the inside.
Overall appearance of the hotel was well maintained,considering the hotel was old.
However,in my room the bathtub cant be used because the water keeps going out the drain.So,why bathtub if you cant have a bubble bath?I didn't contact anyone for this matter coz I happen to know the bathtub problem like 2 hours before my check out.Whats the use?
The Singaraja concierge was not what I expected,there wasnt any reading material,DVD collection,pastry and so on (i read the adds about this at the hotel web).There was a selection of tee,coffee,juice,chips&cookie.Most of time no glass & cup,many dirty glass cup and the staff were not that friendly when cleaning the area .Really not what I expected,the atmosphere was not that cozy.
The check out was quick and not through,I pay cash for my expenses but the woman didn't give me the receit & she did not Void my credit card,even though I ask her too. I better on the lookout for my bills next month.
Maybe ill recommend if you want to stay here to call in advanced .ask what kinda room you want & ask for the condition of the room.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I've stayed in a number of hotels in Bali over the years, Sanur, Legian, Nusa Dua, even Manggis once, but this was my first time at the InterCon and first time in Jimbaran.

Reception is typical top end Bali resort, huge open space, high ceiling, gentle gamelan plinking away in the background, views over the water features. Very good. Check in was efficient and we were in the room with the minimum fuss. Unlike Ngurah Rai immigration but that's another website to rant on. Although actually it isn't - why don't the hotels get their act together and *demand* better efficiency at getting tourists in and out? Why don't they *demand* clean toilets at one of the busiest international airports in Indonesia?? Sorry, drifting...

A free upgrade from a Singaraja to the duplex room which was nice but as someone earlier mentioned, it's all a bit tired. The furniture is probably what they had in originally, and it's always strange nowadays to see a 3 cubic metre TV set - even IBIS at CDG has LCD TVs so how come a 5* hotel in Bali cannot get a new telly?? That said, we didn't really go to Bali for TV watching.

I cannot fault the staff. Everyone we encountered was polite, efficient, courteous and friendly. They all genuinely made you feel welcome, very good.

I agree with the comments about the F&B being expensive, but sadly all Bali hotels are the same: their rates are too high cf say Phuket or Langkawi, and their F&B are all too expensive. IDR138,000++ for nasi goreng is really having a laugh when you can get it for IDR20,000 nett up the beach! IDR48,000++ for a small Bintang against IDR30,000 nett for a large one at the same place.

And that's one great thing about the InterCon - a few mins stroll along the very pleasant beach brings you to a string of beachside seafood restaurants. These are somewhat dearer than my first visit back in '96 but still pretty reasonable and the food is damn fresh. I had grilled chicken for lunch one of the days: it was running around when I arrived at the restaurant, 20 mins later it was on my plate.

However, the hotel food was good and I have no complaints about quality or tastiness.

The gardens are superb. Trees, flowers, water all in a harmonious blend. Great pools, and I loved the fact that if you left your bed unattended for an hour or more they took your towels away. No getting down before breakfast and blagging the best spot here!

Which brings me neatly to breakfast. Very good, with a wide selection of tasty morning morsels. Mrs R likes to go native when back home in INA and everything she tried she said was good. And that's high praise, trust me.

Fresh juices and jamu, a top start to the day.

One thing which really lets it down is the lack of free wifi. In this day and age, even the beachside warungs are offering free wifi so why is a place charging 200 bucks a night messing around with charging for internet access??

64,000 dollar question - will we go back? Yes, if we want to stay in Jimbaran again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank richardpS850LT
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I've been to Bali like 100times already but this was the first time I stayed in Jimbaran. I usually went there only to have dinner in the seafood restaurant in the area.
The hotel was very nice. We got the duplex room, which was huge, with living room, a balcony and a toilet on the first floor while the bed room and bathroom were on the second floor.
They got some swimming pools, which were nice, surrounded by huge garden. There were some restaurants in the resort. The white sandy-beach was right behind the hotel. I thoroughly enjoyed my staying in this resort/hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2010

My fiance and I stayed at the Intercon at Jimbaran for 3 nights and it was a great experience overall.

At first we stayed in the deluxe room and the room was nicely decorated in the colonial style, thought we thought the TV was very outdated and the walls were yellowing due to the high humidity and needed some touch ups.

On our second night, we were upgraded as we made a complained to the management about the construction/renovation noise in the nearby rooms, to their signature Sigaraja rooms, which came with complimentary soft drinks and light snacks, and the rooms newly renovated with modern TV sets.

The beach and water is not what we expected after a recent trip to Boracay, but the hotel pool and bar is great. Plenty of deck chairs around the property and reasonably priced drinks.

It also has a very well maintained and beautiful garden ground, we even saw a small and very colorful snake passing by my fiance's feet.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeijingBagel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
#20 of 54 in Nusa Dua
W Bali - Seminyak
W Bali - Seminyak
#19 of 148 in Seminyak

Been to INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort? Share your experiences!