“Agreed with it all - great honeymoon location !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort

INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort
Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Jimbaran
Perth, Australia
“Agreed with it all - great honeymoon location !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2010

I was so excited when I got back from my wedding & honeymoon in Bali to write a review, but I had to wait as I've written a short 'review' asking questions abt this hotel sometime in August. I was unaware that one had to wait three months between reviews with Tripadvisor.
Anyway.............read and read and read all the reviews for months...took notes of where to go for what...what to look out for...etc. Never been to Bali. Arranged wedding via internet and got married at the hotel and stayed there for another 10 nights....loved it...still can't stop talking about it. They went over and beyond what we ask for - it was perfect ! There were only 12 of us at the wedding. But they do up to 200+ for a wedding.
Wedding was arranged by Melissa from Wedding International - perfect, stress free, faultless !!
I felt spoilt beyond believe. It was wonderful. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade to ClubLevel which included all those extras. It was abt $60-70 extra - frm Singaraja Room get upgraded if you can. So worth it. The spa was expensive but so good. Did try out the cheapies across the road, but not a touch to the hotel's spa.
Best was the Happy Hour in the Club Lounge. Worked my way down the cocktail list !!!!! Make sure though you don't eat too much and spoil your appetite for dinner ! We spend most of our time at the hotel. Yes food prices expensive for Bali, but that is what we pay in Perth - in Bali you get it with a smile, great service and a chat included !! Even went White Water Rafting and that was the best fun in ages !! Not dangerous at all ! Make use of the taxis - cheap and local knowledge super. Read the reviews and make note of the tips. Even had a seafood evening next to hotel - recommended by the Food & Beverage manager Martin - ask him for a good one.
I do love reading the reviews. Everything that others are writing on here is true. Including the bad...The hotel is far from everything, taxi rides can take ages. There is nothing to do outside the hotel - I was pretty shocked at the road/houses/hygiene/traffic etc..'s condition. Did go walking for about two hours in the main street and took tons of photos. It is interesting and so decorative the temples etc...Such a different life.
Traffic is insane. I saw some dust in the rooms, but then men were cleaning (hahaha!!). Wine prices were insane - we bought wine in Perth and took it with. At ClubLevel you got the internet for free in the Inspirations Room. Loved that room ! There was no sun in our room so wet clothes just stayed damp. Make use of the laundry service.
If you are young and hip - don't go there. Too far from Kuta. The hotel is really tranquil. The grounds were breathtakinly beautiful and so well cared for.
If you want maybe a bit more to do - stay in Sanur or Nusa Dua. I loved Sanur and might stay there next time just for variety. There were pubs and shopping without sellers pestering you. And very clean. Did go to Kuta - not my cup of tea.
This hotel will always have a special place in our hearts ! Most of all it was the staff that created all the wonderful memories.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Belinda H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Woodstock, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights this past October. As members of the Ambassador Club we were provided a large suite with balcony and sleeping quarters in a loft setting. The bathroom adjoining our bedroom was was huge!!! The suite was truly spacious as well and tastefully furnished. I loved the balcony where I would spend quite a bit of time at night just listening to the waves and watching the moon. Our room did not face the pool or beach which was just as well since it would have been probaly noisy. Instead it faced a quieter area of the hotel which suited my needs perfectly. It had a view of gardens and palm trees and the only people I saw there were the gardeners. Unfortunately, because we had planned trips to explore Bali we really did not spend much time at this resort. We got stuck in long traffic jams instead trying to get from Point A to Point B on the island!

We ate our meals (breakfast and dinner) in the resort since the Ambassador Club membership provided you a selection of venues to have meals and drinks. We mostly stayed in the Ambassador Lounge where we were served a delightful selection of finger foods with our choice of drinks. The staff was courteous and efficient, smiles all over the place! I felt so pampered and well cared for. They also have medical facilities on the premises to assist with health issues (Bali Belly in Bali!!!) where I did not have to wait and was immediately looked after.

If you go on the beach, a leisurely walk away from the resort you will find numerous seafood restaurants lining the shore. The food smelled delicious but we did not go to any of them. It felt very crowded and loud with lots of people taking pictures of each other all over the place. After the quiet and peaceful setting of the resort, it was very overwhelming.

The Intercontinental Hotel at Jimbaran Bay is a lovely resort to visit and relax...and that is what I am going to do the next time I go there!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Footloose916
Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

We stayed at Singaraja for 3 nights which is semi premium apartment. It is located on a wonderful beach though not private. Very good food platter but non-availability of any Indian vegetarian food was a let down. But the Chef tried to make us comfortable by cooking specially for us. It has got almost everything a 5 star resort would have. Good for people who want to have a peaceful time as it is decently located. If somebody wants to catch-up with night life one has to go to Kuta where the action is.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

We decided to push the boat out and book a club room which was definitely worth every penny as the service we received was exceptional. We paid £250 per room per night including all taxes and service charges. Included in this rate is complimentary airport pick up and drop off, exclusive check in at the Club Lounge where we received the most wonderful welcome, a welcome drink and a stress free check in process. The Club Lounge provides complimentary 24 hour beverages, afternoon tea, cocktails from 4.30pm - 7.30pm and canapes. We received a complimentary 1 hour massage due to the recent withdrawal of the snack menu. The massage and spa was wonderful! The Club Pool is very quiet and redirects children and families who want to have 'fun' to the main pool. There are lots of other benefits which are detailed on their website. The service throughout was absolutely wonderful and despite the hotel being reasonably large the team greeted us by name.

The choice of restaurants is excellent and the food choice plentiful and delicious.

The grounds of the hotel are manicured to perfection and the resort has a really warm and intimate feeling to it despite being quite a large hotel.

The hotel is well located and within a 3 minute walk of many beach bars and restaurants.

The Intercontinental Bali was the first of 4 hotels we booked on our 4 destination trip (we also stayed at a Shangri La, a local boutique hotel and a Royale hotel in KL). The Intercontinental was by far the best hotel we stayed at and we will definitely return and stay in a Club Room again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

We stayed in a "Singarajah" (ie, deluxe) room at the Intercontinental and were reasonably happy with our stay, though I'm not sure it was really worth $300 a night (for Bali). Our room was fairly large, with a king-sized bed and a sitting area and small balcony, but the bathroom was a bit shabby (broken and moldy tiles, a sink that never did quite drain right, even after having maintenance look at it) and the furnishings worn.

However, when I considered that at least half of the cost probably covered the grounds and amenities, it felt a lot better to me. They have 2 large pools (though one is for "club" members only -- I assume that's a more expensive room though I never really found out for sure) and a very nice beach area, with comfortable lounge chairs and plenty of shade umbrellas. We sampled all the restaurants on site, and liked the sushi bar and "Italian" cafe the best. Outside of the hotel grounds there is not very much on offer: it's a very shabby street with no retail and few restaurants, though there were some beach restaurants on either side of the property.

I think what disappointed me most was the fact that, even though we were spending several hundred dollars per night, they still insisted on charging for internet access. Talk about nickle-and-diming!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lsfSeattle
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

A beautiful Hotel and Resort location with the warmest Management and Team I have ever encountered.Nothing was too much trouble for any request.I have stayed in this Hotel on many occassions and found it the same on every visit.

It is worthwhile to try the 3 Restaurantsand of course breakfast if time permits.KO is great fun at tepanyaki,more so if it has a good crowd.The food is brilliant and always fantastic to watch the Chef and his performance whist preparing and serving your dinner.The wagu beef outstanding.Sushi lounge is a quieter affair,the food equally fresh and beautifully presented .Bella is wonderful for special evenings and Jimbaran Gardens for a casual night with great seafood .There is a good Bar for a drink before or after dinner...Wine is expensive due to Government taxes which is a shame. The wine list changes from time to time and is worth having a glass or so if you enjoy it.There is a good selection of wine by the glass.

The fish market trip early in the morning is a must and a good way to get to know the locals and have a chat.The beach of course is just stunning A glorious stretch of sand that leads past the fish markets and towards the Airport..I love wandering down there and chatting to the local Jimbaran People. Restaurants in each direction,always busy and friendly..Never feeling anything but a wonderful surge of freedom and energy,which is the Heart of Bali. Fish and fishing. So much a part of the Balinese Life.I love it so much.I found it interesting to know the Hotel and local Community get together to keep the whole beach clean for guests.Sunset Bar by the beach at the Hotel is nice to relax and watch the amazing Sunset with a cocktail or two.

I didn't find any drawbacks at the Hotel. Shopping or dining in Seminyak or Kuta is an easy taxi trip, around 20 minutes or so, depending on traffic.

It really is lovely to experience The Club Intercontinental. If expenses don't allow it for the whole stay it can be just a night or so.The Club does have a special feel. Having stayed in both sections of the Hotel I do love it. Cocktail hour is a nice excuse to dress up a little and enjoy a drink and tasting plate, before popping off for dinner. Nothing is too much trouble and every need taken care of promptly. Restaurant bookings,advice about where to dine and so on. The Club really does have a different feel for Guests. A 24hr Butler service, outstanding housekeeping and laundry service,Club Lounge and Instant care for any special need, make it a really quality 5 star Resort.

I have stayed at the Hotel as a single and partnered Guest. Staying alone I have never felt it difficult in any way. The Team have always made me feel welcome.The Hotel also seem to attract Guests that are generous of spirit and most have a certain kind of warmth. Therefore, I have always been included and made many long standing Friends amongst them. The Resort is a special destination for most Guests.Many of whom,like me are drawn back time and time again. I feel I am very lucky to have experienced this warmth and hope to return soon.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this 5 star Hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Pammie480
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

The InterContinental Bali Resort is a great hotel, on the beach and not far from the airport.

I've stayed here many times and have always enjoyed it. As an Ambassador, I've always received a room upgrade. The rooms are getting a bit dated but are still charming.

Jimbaran Beach is a nice swimming beach and there are pools galore to choose from in the hotel grounds.

The hotel is a bit pricey for food and drinks in the restaurants and bars, as you might expect at a 5-star hotel. The beach cafes next door are much cheaper options and are almost empty during the day. The Sunset Bar has 3 hours of happy hour per day with a 2-for-! offer on a very good range of drinks. It's also in a great location to enjoy the sunset!

The breakfast here is one of the best I have seen, with plenty of choice. There are a couple of locations to choose from, both serving the same wide menu. The Italian restaurant is a little classier, with white table cloths and some tables on the grass and some beautiful views from the upper floor.

About 2 years ago the IC started to put refillable ceramic bottles in most of the bathrooms (see the pic). I personally think this is a big mistake for a 5-star hotel. The bottles look cheap, seem unhygienic (they are just topped up and re-used) and if dropped in the shower might cause a very nasty injury.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo