“Nice hotel with a few glitches”

AYANA Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
San Francisco
“Nice hotel with a few glitches”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is our ~10th 4 star Bali hotel and we like to check out different properties. Book your spa appointments and seek out the sauna and steam room that are hiding within the large spa compound. The therapists will definitely take good care of you. The spa was the highlight of our Ayana visit--we stayed in a lovely villa with plunge pool and outdoor shower. The villa layout was similar to that at the Four Seasons. Villa guests have access to a separate pool and restaurant which is somewhat more special than the other larger hotel area used by most hotel guests. You are provided with a cell phone to contact your butler who will pick you up at your villa and take you anywhere in a golf cart. But the hotel is not very big and so we walked wherever we wanted to go. The butler bit seemed more for show than anything else. The hotel is known for its hotspot, cliffside Rock Bar which is a treat to visit for calamari--but not much alcohol in any drinks, either at the Rock Bar or in the main restaurant (OK, Indonesia has a high tax on liquor). The property is less intimate than an Aman resort but it offers more restaurant choices, and feels more special, but it was still very nice overall. We appreciated the internet that mostly worked in the villa and definitely worked in the library and lobby. We were surprised, on check in, that our room was not ready--which is ok, and we went to the spa--but no one seemed to want to let us know when our room was complete (despite the butler). Oh well. Overall, we left with a positive feeling about a very nice stay at a very nice hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear ‘aerotraveller’

Thank you for sharing your experience after staying at AYANA Resort and Spa, which is actually a 5-star rated hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday at AYANA, in particular your private pool villa, Rock Bar, the warm service from our team members, and the Thermes Marins Spa facilities including the sauna and steam rooms. I will investigate your comment on Rock Bar beverage quality with our beverage team, to ensure our cocktails are consistent in terms of the quality including the amount of alcohol. We do use genuine imported liquors with standard pours for all cocktails, which were created by international bar consultant Sebastien Bonnefoi. In regards to butler service, all of our butlers have been trained by the Guild of Professional Butlers in the UK to provide discreet and personalized service that anticipates different guest needs, and really ‘wow’ their guests to create fond memories of your holiday in Bali. I regret that you did not feel this ‘wow’ experience from your butler and I will reenergize our butler service based on your feedback.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA.

Best regards,

Roger Habermacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ayana Resort and Spa for a week in October. We have been to Bali over 25 times during the last 33 years. This trip we decided to splurge out and booked a Club Room at this beautiful resort. We weren't disappointed. All he staffwere absolutely fantastic, and could not do enough for you. The staff in the Club Room always remembered our names, and our preferred drink at cocktail hour! Our rooms were lovely, with a beautiful outlook over the magnificent gardens and grounds. The hotel is quite isolated, and about a 1/2 drive into Kuta or Sanur, but quite frankly whilst staying at this hotel why would you bother leaving ! ? We managed to eat at nearly every restaurant at the hotel (I think there are 6) and they were all fantastic. It is not a cheap holiday, but you get what you pay for. And the Ayana is worth every cent ! Would highly recommend the Ayana to anyone wanting a luxurious relaxing break.

Room Tip: Book a Club Room if you can. With food and drinks available nearly all day it makes the stay more a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear ‘GeorgieT56’

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at AYANA Resort and Spa.

It was an honor to be chosen as the host of your holiday escape in October and I’m delighted that you enjoyed the Club Room benefits including the Club Lounge complimentary food and beverages. I am glad you enjoyed the resort’s other facilities as well including our 7 restaurants and the warm and caring service from our team members.

Again thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Went for the New Years, stayed in a villa.

Hotel is beautiful, service, although not Aman level, was generally very good. Laid back atmosphere, we'll groomed grounds, very clean and friendly staff. Good infinity pool, although too many kids. A real beach is a plus, many resorts here dont have swimable beaches.

The rock bar is, as many reviewers point out, a bit of a hit or miss. It is beautiful, but service is slow, and $30 for a glass of vueve is a bit steep (and I am burning through $1500 per day). I went twice, got good seats, had a good time, but it is probably a bit overhyped. Great sunset views, so probably worth going once.

The one real downer of the trip was that for New Years dinner, we had the Asian restaurant, which was about two thirds capacity. It took 20 min after ordering to get our first drinks (beer), had a screaming baby next to us (got moved eventually) and an hour after ordering, we had no food. It could not have been the kitchen - others were getting food, and after asking nicely twice and getting bs-ed, we called our butler, Agus. He came within five minutes, and laid down the law. Within five minutes, we got food and drinks. That shouldn't have been necessary, but did the trick.

I'd recommend this hotel for the villa rooms. Not sure about not having the butler - was pretty close to walking out on the restaurant, and if that had happened, I would have rated this place very differently.

Room Tip: Get a villa. Worth the price difference.
2 Thank hangingintokyo
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear ‘hangingintokyo’

Thank you for your feedback after staying in a private villa at AYANA Resort and Spa over the New Year period.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed AYANA in particular your private pool villa, the warm service from our team, the gardens and views, Main Pool, Rock Bar and the secluded Kubu Beach.

I note your concern over the service at Rock Bar and the New Year’s Eve dinner at Padi restaurant, and have shared your comments with our Rock Bar team and our Food and Beverage Director to improve the speed of our service for all guests. I am glad that your butler Agus resolved this issue for you and ensured you enjoyed the rest of your evening, and I will personally thank Agus for his assistance and responsiveness to your needs. That is indeed one of the exclusive benefits of staying in a Villa and I’m very glad that Agus took such good care of you, albeit even when it should not have been necessary.

Just on the pools, the Main Pool is often the busiest of our five pools and is close to the Children’s Pool. The Ocean Beach Pool is adults-only, while the River Pool next to Dava restaurant is often quiet, and is therefore known as the ‘secret hideaway’ for couples. We are also pleased to inform you that all AYANA guests are entitled to use any of the six swimming pools at our new sister hotel RIMBA Jimbaran Bali, just a few minutes away by complimentary resort shuttle.

I thank you again for sharing your constructive feedback which enables us to improve and I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

After amazing view and very relaxing experience at the Royal Pita Maha Ubud, we continued our romantic getaway babymoon to Ayana Resort and Spa Bali.

1. Ayana Resort and Spa is private resort in Jimbaran Bali. It is famous for its Romantic "Rock bar" which is the bar on the rock. We can see the amazing ocean.
2. When we arrived, the staff gave us flower and welcome drink. Then we went to "private check in" in the club. The Club offers free drink, light lunch and dinner for the guest. If you spend almost of your time in the resort and not go around, I suggest you to choose club room or private villa.
3. I love flower decoration in the bath up, the villa was nice with traditional and unique linen and bedsheet.
4. The Breakfast at Padi is a nice experience, but in club room or dava there is limited food
5. You must try their "ocean beach pool". You can see the sunset direct from the pool. They have river pool, kid's pool and main pool too
6. They have many restaurant, we have tried sami sami, the pizza and pasta was delicious

Overall, very amazing experience, we want come back :)

Room Tip: Private Villa, Club Suite or Deluxe Ocean Pool :)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LydYosh
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear ‘LydYosh’

Thank you for sharing you experience at AYANA Resort and Spa, it was an honor to be chosen as the venue for your Babymoon celebration.

It’s truly rewarding to hear that you enjoyed your romantic holiday, especially the Club Room and your private villa, the breakfast at Padi Restaurant, the Club Lounge benefits including complimentary food and beverages all day, Sami Sami restaurant and Rock Bar.

I will review the selection of breakfast dishes at the Club Lounge and Dava based on your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back soon, with your new baby. Best wishes for a safe delivery.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

It was our second stay at Ayana and it is awesome. The resort was 100% occupied and we still could find seats around the pools. The same in regards of Rock Bar - an amazing bar at the hotel cliff - which was with long queues but really short wait for guests (VIP entry).
The staff was friendly, always wanting to help and make us feel welcome.
Good restaurants, lovely pools, plenty of nature, private beach...
I would like only to point out lacking details as the towels were impressively smalls, and only two per room. The shower had a temperature adjustment and it was warm only (sometimes almost cold). Also, the hotel was crowded therefore there were no cars available to guests.
Unfortunately at this time we stayed at a resort view room, ground floor, and it was really noise (we couldn't sleep for two nights and had to complain a few times). Also, we had a different treatment from last time - maybe because the staff was tired (they are really hard workers) or because we were not in a Villa as last time.
The room seemed a bit old too for a luxury resort.
We intend to stay at the hotel next time but we do not recommend a stay in a room other than ocean suite or better.

Room Tip: Ocean suite or better. Ground floor rooms are noisy.
2 Thank Juliana B
Dear ‘Juliana B’

Thank you for your feedback about your stay at AYANA Resort and Spa.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and the pools, Kubu Beach, restaurants, Priority Access to Rock Bar and warm service for our team members.

I greatly appreciate your comments on areas where we can improve and exceed guest expectations. We provide four large bath towels for each room, I apologize that you did not appear to have the towels available upon check-in. I note your comment on the shower temperature. Our engineers monitor water temperature regularly as part of our room maintenance program, but as a result of your feedback we are re-inspecting all units throughout the hotel. We are committed to always providing the best service to all guests, while Villa guests do enjoy the additional benefit of dedicated butler service for the highest level of personalized service.

Again thank you for your constructive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed here a while ago and the memories are still with me. Amazing resort and exemplary service. The infinity pool overlooking the sea is bliss. A lovely welcome from staff and presented with a frangipani garland and welcome drink. Great selection of restaurants and bars. The breakfast was awesome, such an amazing selection, one of the best I have ever had. Rooms were very spacious and comfortable. Gardens were delightful and cared for, a treat to walk around. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear ‘Egc38’

Thank you for your feedback about your previous stay at AYANA Resort and Spa.

It’s truly rewarding to know that you enjoyed your experience in particular your room and the warm service. I am also delighted that you enjoyed the facilities such as the Ocean Beach Pool, restaurants and bars, I look forward to welcoming you back soon to experience AYANA or perhaps our new sister hotel RIMBA.

Beijing
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Amazing property with a good seaview from my room, a great aquatronic pool to relax those sore muscles (was told by the spa staff that there are 60 stations, best that I have soaked in), a superb infinity pool, an awesome sea water pool on the cliff which I soaked in while viewing the sunset, a great BBQ restaurant on the cliff where the wave occassionally beats the cliff and rose to the dinner area, a nice private beach with not so clean sand though, but was still acceptable, and also a beautiful Rock Bar on the cliff which I regrettably missed it as it was packed. Best of all, great warm staff! Kudos to the management and all working in Ayana. Will definately be back again.

Room Tip: Get a ocean view room. Its worth the extra dimes!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HollandVBoy
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear ‘HollandVBoy’

Thank you for sharing your experience at AYANA.

I have shared your feedback with our team, who feel very rewarded that you enjoyed your stay in a Deluxe Ocean View Room, and your Aquatonic Jet Pool session at Thermes Marins Bali Spa, Kisik Seafood Restaurant and the warm service from our team members.

I regret that you missed visiting Rock Bar due to the busy sunset crowd, and I hope you will return soon so you may finally get to enjoy a Rock Bar sunset. We do provide Priority Access over sunset time for in-house guests, and I also like Rock Bar at night when it is more romantic, less busy and equally beautiful.

Again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Roger Habermacher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
The Legian Bali
#7 of 143 in Seminyak
The Villas at AYANA Resort BALI
INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!