“Honeymoon heaven! A truly memorable experience.”

AYANA Resort and Spa Bali
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The title of the review says it all...below explains why!

We booked with MyBali (who offer a great ViP service to and from the airport) and received a great package for our honeymoon which included flights, US$1000 wine, dine and spa credit. Initially we booked into the Club Floor and then upgraded to a one bedroom Ocean View Cliff Villa, whilst keeping the benefits of Club Floor guests.

The resort really stands out for its attention to detail, excellent service and commitment to the guest. It was clean, set in stunning scenery and made our honeymoon unforgettable. This resort goes above and beyond what I've experienced elsewhere, and I was so grateful that even though we'd booked for 7 nights and out flight out was at midnight on day 8, they allowed us to keep using all the facilities, including the Club Lounge (so we could still eat and drink without spending extra), after check out. They also reminded us 24 hours before check out that we still had quite a bit of our $1000 credit to use, AND allowed us to use the remaining $100 after check out. So many resorts would have cancelled the credit, and I wouldn't imagine too many would encourage you to use it so openly.

Arrival:
From the moment we arrived we were impressed! The stunning entrance to both Ayana and Rimba gave a taste of the expansive tropical gardens in which the resort is set. Check in was quick and easy as a Club Floor guest and within minutes of arriving we were in our room with a welcome cocktail. A rose bouquet was left as a welcoming honeymoon gift and this was the first gesture of many which really cemented our love of Ayana.

The Club Floor:
We stayed in the main part of the hotel to begin our stay. The room was spacious, well-appointed and spotless - housekeeping staff were discreet and thorough. Whilst there were many rooms in the hotel, it was very quiet and we rarely saw other guests when moving around.

Most days we ate in the club lounge, where you are served five light meals each day. Breakfast was phenomenal - with choices including fresh fruit, cereal, cold meats, pastries, and Japanese, Chinese and Indonesian cuisine. Likewise lunch and dinner offered something for all tastes, with evening meals showcasing food from the resort's main restaurants.

Wifi was free for guests in the Club Lounge, and there were iPads to borrow if needed.

As it was our honeymoon, we also took advantage of the low-cost upgrade (a fraction of the usual price) for our final couple of nights - we weren't disappointed!

Ocean View Cliff Villa:
I can still remember the "wow" factor as the butler welcomed us to our villa... This was the first time I'd ever stayed somewhere like this, with private pool and a butler on call, but what an experience! The villa was huge, with a living room, bedroom and extensive bathroom with walk-in robe. On our first night here the massive bath was filled with rose petals and frangipanis - another really special touch.

Like the Club Room, the Villas were well appointed and beautifully decorated with a blend of traditional and modern furniture. The Illy coffee machine was most welcome in the morning as an alternative to plunger coffee, and the sofas were so comfortable, as was the bed!

The best part of staying in a villa is, of course, the private pool. Although it had been raining heavily the night before and there had been strong winds the pool was spotless, and each day two members of staff came to clean it. I say this noting that another guest had trouble with their pool - I can vouch that we didn't have this issue at all and the staff was all very helpful.

The resort and spa:
Even though the resort is large and clearly accommodates many guests, it was never busy and this made such a difference to the atmosphere. The choice of pools was great, with the Ocean Pool being our favourite, but be warned you may need to go early, or be prepared to wait at another pool for a spot here. With ten beds (doubles!), and a no children policy, this pool was definitely meant for romance! It was great to have a child-free pool, although the children of the clientele were well behaved at other pools and so it was easy to relax. The infinity pool which you can see from the lobby is great if you can't get to the Ocean Pool, and another favourite was the river pool by the villas, which all guests can use, yet it was always very quiet when we were there.

There were plenty of things to do around the resort, so other than a couple of trips out to Nusa Dua and Ubud, we pretty much stayed in Ayana. We had free access to golf, the gym, tennis, sauna and steam room and often went for a stroll around different parts of the resort to enjoy the plants and wildlife.

Having the $1000 credit, I made good use of the spa and indulged in the Spassion3 package - putting together my own choice of treatments (Balinese massage - a must! Ayana Body Scrub and Flower bath, and an algae body masque and head, neck and shoulder massage). We also used the Thalasso Hydrotherapy Pool, which I would definitely recommend for the experience, but be warned some of those jets are pretty strong! Another guest noted they thought it was chlorine heavy, but I didn't find this - only the taste of salt! Sunset would be a great time to go as you can look out over the ocean and enjoy the colours.

The Rock Bar:
As many others have said, this place is a must! It was pretty cool to skip the queues waiting to get in and take priority as a hotel guest. Sunsets were lovely, the atmosphere was great - perfect mix of music to go with the setting. Service was pretty good considering the numbers, and all the staff were, as with the rest of the resort, incredibly friendly.

A massive thank you to Adi and all the lovely staff in the Club, and Yudi our butler, who made our experience all the better. Staff really make a place, and everyone from grounds keepers to the chefs seemed genuinely happy, suggesting that Ayana truly cares about their staff.

We will definitely go back, and I will probably try to return with some girl friends to make more use of spa facilities!

Room Tip: Club Floor benefits are really worth it - we hardly spent any money in the resort as we had the MyBa...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear ‘ThisTeacherTravels’

Thank you for sharing your experience after staying at AYANA Resort and Spa.

It was truly an honor to be chosen as the venue for your honeymoon in Bali and I’m glad you enjoyed the privacy of your Ocean View Cliff Villa and Club Room and the exclusive benefits of Club Lounge. I am delighted that you indulged in the various on-site facilities and spa treatments, and I personally will share you note to your butlers Adi and Yudi who will feel very rewarded.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable celebration at AYANA.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have just returned from a two night stay at Ayana. It was a splurge to finish off our trip in Bali. We went all out and booked a cliff front ocean view villa with its own private pool at $1000us/night

The room was lovely and large and had gorgeous views and a lovely private pool. The villas also enjoy their own reception, pool and bar areas, very quiet and tranquil - this a huge benefit as the main parts of the hotel can be crowded and unpleasant - esp reception.

During the first night of our stay it rained - not at all unexpected as it is the rainy season. What we didn't expect was for our pool to turn to a mud bath. We call reception to have it cleaned but after 3 attempts they were unable to clean the mud out. It was obvious that the only solution would be to empty, clean then refill the pool. We requested to be moved to another villa but this request was IGNORED! We had intended to take advantage of their floating brunch in your pool in the mornings served by your own butler but this was not an option with the state of the pool

I am horrified that this resort would ignore something so important - yes it rains, but if the design of your gardens allows mud to just run into the pool perhaps drainage etc should be investigated.

I could not recommend Ayana on the basis of this experience. This is unfortunate as it had such great potential. It was a real stretch to stay in such an expensive room - and it was just a let down.

On a good note - the staff at Davao restaurant were fantastic as was their food

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JO B
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear ’JO B’

Thank you for your feedback after staying at AYANA Resort and Spa.

I am glad that you were impressed by your Villa design, amenities, service, Dava restaurant and the resort grounds. However, I regret that your experience was ruined by our poor response to your concern in regards to the effect the heavy rain had on your villa plunge pool. This is certainly not in keeping with our high standards and I have investigated this matter thoroughly. I regret to learn that your request was not addressed, there is no excuse for this and I have met with our Villas team to ensure this does not happen again. I know this does not change your experience, but I do hope you will return to AYANA to enjoy the service and facilities in the future.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Three main reasons to stay at Ayana. One, the rock bar. The rock bar is situated on the cliff over looking the sea with the ocean water hitting the rocks. Two, the thalasso hydrotherapy pools are definitely one of a kind in asia. Three, the private villas with it's enormous pools and living rooms are a family favorite. Definitely a great destination for family with kids.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank travelerkit

Dear ‘travelerkit’

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to know that you and your family felt relaxed at AYANA and that you enjoyed the sanctuary of your private pool Villa, Rock Bar and Aquatonic Jet Pool at Thermes Marins Spa Bali.

I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Ayana is an exceptional property. It has an excellent location on the coast at Jimbaran of which they make the most. The drive in off the main road feels more like a golf resort than a coastal resort. Green, lush, trees, all in great quality. The guest rooms, even at the standard level, are really excellent, being large and very comfortable. Great balconies for taking in some fresh sea air and escaping from the aircon. There are multiple restaurants but I highly recommend ordering a'la carte for dinner, a better selection than the buffet. They have western, indian, thai, chinese and japanese on the menu, and it was really excellent. Not often the case in Bali.

The highlight though is the Rock Bar. This is a bar on a rock, pretty simple, but if you not there every afternoon for sunset you are really missing out. Book a table with the view, as a hotel guest you get priority over the tourists who come in to get the experience. Now, its not cheap so be prepared to spend $200 or more for two or three people for a couple of drinks and a snack, but take your time, enjoy the DJ implanted in the hill and just watch the sun go down, the planes take off and land at the airport and everyone around you. Then off to dinner. Highly recommended is the locally bottled red and white wines. Get a bottle of the Sav Blanc and enjoy.

It is a fair taxi ride from Kuta / Legian / Seminyak so dont stay here if you are planning to go out too often, stay here and stay here, just enjoy the place, there is plenty to do and lots of relaxin to take advantage of.

But remember this place is not cheap, so dont complain if you are on a budget, just enjoy it.

Room Tip: This part of Bali is generally windy so having an ocean facing room may not be what you really want...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear ‘Aegisint’

It was an honor to be the host of your holiday and I am delighted that you enjoyed the resort grounds, cuisine at PADI Restaurant and Rock Bar.

As you mentioned, AYANA is located 30 minutes from the hustle and bustle of Kuta, making it perfect for travelers seeking maximum relaxation.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing holiday in Bali.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We loved our Cliff Side Villa and access to the Rock Bar and the private feel of the Villa side. We would never go to the other side as it's seems like a "disneyland" feel with so many people and real average facilities. We like luxury - would be good for kids as they offer lots of activities.

Pro's: Well appointed large Villa's, priority line at Rock Bar with preference of great seating, good breakfast, good food/atmosphere at the fish restaurant on the cliff. Excellent views.

Con's: Outdated gym, Thalassotherapy was very disappointed - we both smelled like chlorine when it was supposed to be salt water, very large feel, not great service on check in (we had just come from the Four Seasons where it was exceptional).Chlorine pools at Villa's.

Room Tip: If you're looking for luxury, I would opt for a villa. We would not stay at their main hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DSMTravel91
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear ‘DSMTravel91’

Thank you for sharing your feedback after staying at AYANA Resort and Spa.

It was an honor to be chosen as the venue for the final part of your honeymoon in Bali. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your Cliff Villa, breakfast at DAVA, dinner at Kisik Restaurant and the Rock Bar.

I greatly appreciate your comments on areas where we can improve and exceed guest expectations. Our Aquatonic Seawater Jet Pool is maintained in accordance with the strict standards from Thermes Marins headquarters in France, with annual visits by the Thermes Marins team to ensure we maintain the correct seawater and chlorine balance, jet pressure and overall spa experience. We also regularly replace the water, at a rate of 30 liters for every guest who uses the Aquatonic Pool. Of our five swimming pools at AYANA, we have a seawater pool next to Kisik, the Ocean Beach Pool, which is not for children under 12 years old. I note your comment on the Hotel area of the resort being favored by families and guests who prefer to be close to recreation facilities and the various restaurants, while the Villas are popular with couples seeking maximum privacy. My apologies that you did not feel that you were warmly welcomed upon arrival at AYANA, and I will review this with our Villa team and butlers to improve.

Thank you for your feedback on the fitness center, our owner continually invests in the hotel to maintain the quality of our facilities based on guest feedback, so thank you for sharing your comments. I would also like to inform you that we just opened a sister hotel within AYANA property, RIMBA Jimbaran Bali, where there are another 6 swimming pools, rooftop bar, 2 restaurants, and a state-of-the-art fitness center with WiFi-enabled equipment with built-in touchscreens. I do hope you will visit us again in the future, and perhaps enjoy the new gym at RIMBA.

Thank you again for your constructive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We had a nice and relaxing time at this resort. Staff had try to help us to have a stress free vacation time such as extention of the lunch time at the club lounge, and trying to find our favorite tropical fruit (mangosteen) for the breakfast. Hearing that we like tropical fruit so much Padma, one of the staff there even suggested to take us to the Badung day market which we accepted.
We also requested to have another room with a better view of the ocean. After checking with the manager, we were quickly and smoothly upgraded.
Even though my birthday had already passed by a few days, the hotel host who checked us in informed me that I could celebrate the event with a free birthday cake and asked me when I would like to have it.
In sum, staff friendliness and attentiveness were the number one highlight of our stay. Of all our travels, we found that people in Bali were the most friendly.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ‘lily n’

Thank you for sharing your experience after staying at AYANA Resort and Spa, and belated happy birthday to you!

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed a relaxing stay at AYANA especially the exclusive benefits of the Club Lounge including complimentary food and beverages all day. It is a great pleasure to know that our team members made you feel a part of the family, and I will personally share your comments with Padma. I’m glad you enjoyed the opportunity to visit the markets with him.

Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA for another memorable celebration.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

From the entrance experience to the personalized guided tour of the check-in process to our Club Lounge rooms, Ayana's hospitality is top notch.

The resort is HUGE and everything seems to be taken care of on a routine and frequent basis. Staff were pleasant and polite and very helpful.

The room was great too, with an ocean view, balcony and a cabana bed that makes the trip very worth while. The selection of snacks and beverages at the club lounge was also good with a free flow of booze.

Must try all of the pools, especially the infinity salt water pool.

Rockbar is also a mandatory place to visit, where the hotel guests get priority access to bar despite the long lines.

Room Tip: Get the Club Lounge package, it's well worth it
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ‘Ardhi R’

Thank you for sharing your romantic experience at AYANA Resort and Spa.

It was an honor to be chosen as the venue for your honeymoon in one of our Club Rooms. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the resort facilities including the Club Lounge special benefits, Ocean Beach Pool, Rock Bar and warm service from our team members.

Again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA soon.

Roger Habermacher

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
Grand Hyatt Bali
Grand Hyatt Bali
#21 of 54 in Nusa Dua
The Villas at AYANA Resort

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa Bali? Share your experiences!