“Amazing location and view - that's about it.”

AYANA Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My fiancé and I recently stayed at Ayana in a Club Room which was probably our best choice as it provided us with food and drinks all day without the hefty price tag that comes with dining/drinking anywhere else in the resort. The location and view is amazing and one of a kind, but it is out of the way. We caught the shuttle to Nusa Dua Bali Collection shops, very average. Overall, the stay was made positive with the use of the club lounge, but our room seemed just average, and our mirror had splotchy stains all over it, you would think they would aim to change it or buy a new one considering it was a club room. I would recommend people to go visit Ayana maybe for a day and to check out the amazing rock bar, just not my cup of tea.

• Stayed: February 2014
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear ‘Mishmarevic’

Thank you for sharing your experience after staying at AYANA.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Club Room with its distinctive benefits including the Club Lounge.

AYANA continually upgrades our facilities and all 290 rooms and suites in the hotel wings were renovated in 2011. This renovation including new mirrors which are actually artworks, with some metallic markings on them. Several guests have mistaken the mirrors for being old, when in fact they were newly installed as part of the renovation. To address this, our Housekeeping team is making a small sign to put next to the mirror in each room, to advise guests that it is a piece of antique art, to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding. Thank you for your comment so that we may address this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA.

There are newer reviews for AYANA Resort and Spa

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Ayana hotel previously Ritz Carlton does not appear to be any different than when it was the Ritz Carlton. Same high standard of service and same friendly welcome. Our reason to visit was to have a few drinks at the Rockbar which was recommended as a place to enjoy on a sunny day. Great view not cheap drinks and not as busy as it was wet. For those staying at Jimboryan Bay a must.

Room Tip: Did not stay
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SinkingSeabourn
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear ‘SinkingSeabourn’,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Rock Bar Bali.

I am glad that you enjoyed the warm service from our team members and the views from Rock Bar.

I look forward to welcoming you back to AYANA and Rock Bar Bali.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I have been to several resorts, but no one can be as good as Ayana!!! I was traveling with my parents. And this is the excellent time for our family. We had booked two ocean view rooms and asked whether we could have two rooms next to each other. The stuff just upgraded them to a beautiful villa with two bedrooms and a private swimming pool! The bar on cliff has great view. Try have a drink there during sunset.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Wensy Z

Dear ‘Wensy Z’

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience after staying at AYANA Resort and Spa with your parents.

It is an honor to know that you enjoyed the Two Bedroom Ocean Villa with its private pool and butler service, and felt pampered during your stay. I will share your note with our team and look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed 5 nights at Ayana in an ocean front cliff villa. The view, room, service and food were fantastic. We did not leave the resort as it was the perfect choice if you are wanting a relaxing holiday. Every request was actioned by the Ayana team with a smile which was incredible. Special thanks to Wira, Legawa and Dessy!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank CatImel
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear ‘CatImel’

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your Villa experience at AYANA Resort and Spa. I personally will share your comments with our team members Wira, Legawa and Dessy.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

The Ayana is certainly a gorgeous resort, but it is very isolated. You need to travel quite far by taxi (30-45 mins) to get to any busy local shopping strips and/or restaurants eg Seminyak or Kuta (there is not much happening in local Jimbaran).

The resort is enclosed on the owner's 77 hectare property, so even from the front security gate, there is a decent drive to the resort, or a very long walk. The resort itself is lovely: wonderful swimming pools, clean (but not perfectly), well-appointed rooms with nice balconies; delightfully friendly staff (special mention to Ms Eva) and reasonably good (not fabulous) food (but since you cannot easily buy food/drinks locally, the resort can afford to charge hefty prices, since you are unlikely to travel outside the resort; for example a 50cent can of coke rom the mini-mart is a $3 can in the resort).

The resort DOES offer a free shuttle service to the Nusa Dua Shopping centre (20-30 minutes away depending on traffic), but there are so few daily shuttle runs offered and only 9-10 spaces on the shuttle bus, you need to book in advance, and even then you may not secure a spot. I would have thought such an expensive and large resort would offer more runs.

The amazing Rock Pool overlooks the ocean and is a stunning infinity pool for adults only; however, the sunbeds are very limited and you cannot reserve them, so in the five days we were at the resort, we only managed to get a spot once, in the late afternoon. Even though the hotel policy is that this is a romantic pool with children under 12 not permitted, the afternoon we were there, there was a little boy of about 12 splashing around in the pool with his slightly older sister. When the mother and accompanying women were asked to take the children and go to the other resort pools, they refused. The mother claimed the boy was 15!!! Clearly an outright lie; she wouldn't budge. The lovely, patient staff showed her the policy clearly stated on the wall, but no, she would not move. After a few more times, the poor staff gave up. I asked if they could call security, but they couldn't for some reason. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, but this woman's rude disregard for resort policy and for paying guests wanting a romantic and quiet location really annoyed me. So I rang the manager myself and explained the situation, clearly stating the staff were in no way to blame, as they had done everything they could. I was assured they would not get into trouble and that the manager would come himself to resolve the issue. A good twenty minutes later, the manager arrived and when the mother saw him approaching, she signalled to the boy to hide. Unbelievable!! Finally, she conceded and the boy got out of the pool, but they still wouldn't leave. Then the husbands of the four women arrived with more children and they all took up residence in two of the sunbeds made specifically for couples. The fathers jumped into the pool and beckoned the children to join them. They didn't, but we left anyway because of the noise. The point is that it was annoying that staff, even management staff, were unable to uphold the resort's policy - what's the point of policy if it cannot be enforced? Especially if it is a policy some guests are relying on when they make a booking!

Another disappointment was that the resort claims their "king-size" beds ARE king-size, but they definitely are not...too small...queen-size, I would say. Maybe there are king-size beds and king-size beds...who knows? The towels were not full and fluffy either, something you truly expect as these room rates.

A further grievance is that come 3pm, the resort is swamped with non-guests who are arriving to queue up for the famous Rock Bar. Thus, whilst you are still relaxing by one of the pools, you are surrounded by noisy "tourists', if you will, taking photos etc. Luckily, if you are a resident guest, you are assured of a seat in the bar and you do not have to queue; however you do have to agree to spend a certain amount of money if you want to secure a 'good' table. You more than probably won't get into the exclusive bar area, which is first reserved for "executive" guests. Yes, it is a fabulously located bar, but really?

A bonus is that guests may use the shuttle to visit the close-by sister resort, Rimba, and use all the facilities there for free. This resort is brand new, uber-modern, with amazing pools.

Another bonus involves the resort's two private beaches, but the downside is you cannot swim due to the dangerous rips and rough waves. Lovely to visit though.

One last thing, because of the sheer size of the resort, be prepared to walk a lot to get from a A to B, and to queue for a table at breakfast.(The buffet breakfast was very good, by the way, but not outstanding...I expect a luxury resort to have a decent cheese platter and smoked salmon.Also, you are invited to ask for eggs 'any way you like', but when I asked for Eggs Benedict I was given only two poached eggs...I didn't worry about the missing ham, but I did ask for the Hollandaise...it came 25 minutes later since they made it from scratch...and the same thing happened the next day. Needless to say, the eggs were, by then, rather colder that one would like, but the sauce was delicious!

I cannot comment on the spa facilities as I did not use them.

The items in the resort boutique are very expensive.

On the whole, Ayana is worth visiting, but given the isolated location, three nights and once is enough.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Luana C

Dear ‘Luana C’

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback after staying at AYANA Resort and Spa. I am glad that you enjoyed the resort grounds and the extensive recreational and dining facilities, as well as the pools at our new sister hotel RIMBA Jimbaran Bali.

As you mentioned, AYANA is located away from the hustle and bustle of busy areas like Kuta or Seminyak, making it popular with travelers seeking maximum relaxation and sanctuary. I regret to hear about your experience at Ocean Beach Pool, which does have limited seating and is not allowed for children below 12 years of age. We strive to uphold this policy in a courteous manner with all guests, and we find that most guests are respectful of the policy so the situation you experienced does not happen often. I am sorry that we did not manage to resolve the issue during your visit.

I personally will share your compliment to our team member, Eva, and will also discuss your feedback with various departments so that we can improve on the areas you mention. Again thank you very much for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back in the future, perhaps to RIMBA next time.

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

My BF proposed me in their pier in such a romantic atmosphere!! I didn't know where're we going till i saw that charming table for two with an amazing sunset view!! Actually, i was told that we were going to watch a football game:))))) And our guide and waiter named Pande did a great job with playing around like he's really taking us to that kind of bar in that luxurious resort!! I was shocked with such a gorgeous and romantic atmosphere!! Thank you, Ayana Resort! Thank you, Kisik restaurant! Thank you, Pande! That night was just for two of us. Nobody around. Just us, sunset and the sea. It was a delicious Lobster dinner!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anastasia S
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear ‘Anastasia S’

Congratulations on your engagement and thank you for sharing your amazing memories with our team at AYANA.

It was an honor to be part of the surprise arranged by your boyfriend – now fiance – at Kisik Jetty. I am glad to hear that the surprise was kept until the last moment when you saw your table at the end of the jetty – instead of a football game! I will share your note to Pande and look forward to seeing you again, perhaps for your wedding at AYANA!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Actually, it's one of my dream to stay in Ayana Hotel. So, i decided to stay only 1 night. But, it's not like with my expected.

I want to let's you know some comment when I stayed in Ayana
1. The design of the room is old, but still good Maintanance. The room have a traditional design. Actually, I prefer a modern design. The room is comfortable and clean.
2. The bedding need more attention. The linen for the bed and pillow is smelly. I think it's not really well done when they dried the linen.
3. The Padi restaurant for breakfast is too dark for me. And the food don't really have a lot variation. Some of them have flat taste, it looks have not enough seasoning? But chicken herb is delicious!
4. The pool (upper level pool and lower level pool) is crowded at that time. A little bit difficult to get chair surrounding the pool. My favorite pool is Ocean Beach pool. Wow, it's amazing pool with great view! ( great ocean view). It's my recommendation to swim and relax there and It's a must when you stay in Ayana. But you must come early to get the chair, because they don't have a lot chair there. I'm appreciate to the staff in the Ocean Beach Pool, especially Ms Murni? They're very polite and helpful to help me found the chair. Good job guys!
5. When I stayed, I felt crowded because the occupancy at that time is 90% and so many people who didn't stay in Ayana visit to the hotel for Rock Bar. So, the atmosphere is not really private.

The important thing you need know when you stay in Ayana hotel, you can use facility in Rimba hotel. Rimba hotel is a new hotel behind Ayana and 'sister' of Ayana Hotel. The location is still one complex with Ayana. You can go to Rimba Hotel with free shuttle/car every 15 minutes from Ayana.
And the pool in Rimba Hotel is amazing! They have 5 big pool! I am very enjoyed there!

Hopefully i can go back again to Ayana Hotel or Rimba Hotel one day, more explore both of the hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank arnoldusIndonesia
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear ‘arnoldusIndonesia’

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience after your one-night stay at AYANA Resort and Spa.

I appreciate your comments including your suggestions on areas where we can improve. As you mention, AYANA rooms are traditional in design, and were renovated in 2011 whilst keeping their original Balinese feel. RIMBA rooms are much more modern and may better suit your preferences.

I am glad that you enjoyed the time at the Ocean Beach Pool as well as the six pools at RIMBA. At AYANA we have 5 swimming pools and for maximum privacy and tranquility I suggest the River Pool located next to the Villa Lobby, which is less busy than the Main Pool. Also, because many Villa guests have their own plunge pools in their Villas, they do not use the River Pool very much, so even when Villa occupancy is high, the River Pool is nice and quiet.

I will personally share your compliments to the team members especially Murni who took such good care of you at AYANA. I look forward to welcoming you back – perhaps next time to experience RIMBA’s more modern design and unique facilities.

Roger Habermacher

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
The Ritz-Carlton, Bali
The Ritz-Carlton, Bali
#6 of 54 in Nusa Dua
The Villas at AYANA Resort BALI

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!