“Asmara Romantic Dining Experience @ Ayana - Perfect Way To Propose”

AYANA Resort and Spa Bali
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed 27 March 2014

First off I would like to preface that I was looking at creative and romantic ways to propose to my girlfriend. I looked at a number of different venues, but after much thought I decided to go with Ayana’s Romantic Dining Experience.

Booking – quite an easy process but be warned if you want a specific day I would highly recommend booking way in advance for your special day. I was in contact a few months prior to when I initially pulled the trigger to make the booking just so I could have questions answered about the dinner and various scenarios. The initial date I wanted was unavailable and the type of dinner was also unavailable. I had wanted to book the candlelight dinner, but it was booked out so I ended up booking the Asmara about six weeks out.

Apparently there is only 1 booking for each dinner they have per night leaving only 4 bookings to be had. In order to secure the booking I had to send credit card details which shortly thereafter I received an email confirming my booking. I continued to communicate with them prior to the day itself with additional questions. I must admit I am rather impressed with the service they bring which is reassuring because you want everything to go perfectly.

Price – the evening is not cheap so if you are budget conscious I suggest you plan another venue. However this was a once in a lifetime event so I thought it was worth it at the end of the day. The cost for Asmara was around 1950000 IDR per person and this does not include cocktails or wine. There are other dinner options available ranging from 1850000 IDR to 2500000 IDR so you can go a bit less or way more depending on your budget. We declined any wine but I did order an additional cocktail while my better half just had water.

Pre-Dinner: VIP access to the Rock Bar was given. Hence we caught the sunset prior to dinner and had a cocktail without waiting in a massive line.

Ambiance: The personal butler guided us through the hotel property in the area where the dinner table was located. It was very dark and I know my girlfriend was wondering what was going on. Then we finally arrived and lead through a grassy area where candles are setup everywhere. At the end of the candled area was a lovely table setup within a gazebo like structure with stairs leading up to the pedestal. On the stairs there were rose petals spelling out the words: “I Love You”. I must say if you are not a romantic at heart then this entire setup might make you one. I was completely blown away and I know she was too. We were then given flower leis to wear while we waited to be served dinner.

Dinner: The dinner itself was a 5 course masterpiece where there is 2 options for each course. We decided to each do the opposite option to one another so we could sample both dishes the Chef was prepared to make. Bread was served initially with the additional drinks we ordered. We weren’t disappointed by the menu, but do try to arrive hungry because we found they gave very generous portions. We were completely stuffed by the end of dinner. The dishes were very well thought out and it was obviously the chef was extremely good at making the cuisine at your special occasion quite memorable. Our butler surprised us during dinner and provided us with wine at no charge. We thought that was a very lovely gesture to make for us.

Our Menu:
Sautéed duck foie gras,
raisin concassé, apple and fig terrine, macerated grapes

or

Atlantic scallop tartare, dill coulis and roasted cherry tomatoes,
parmesan shavings, vichyssoise, avruga caviar

Seafood bisque, yabbies and tomato ragout,
pickled fennel ravioli, orange salad

or

Mushroom cappuccino, wild mushroom ragout cannelloni (V)

Escargot and mushroom fricassee, basil pesto and tomato fondue,
deep-fried soft center egg, sweet onion cream

or

Pan-roasted black cod and oysters “à la meuniere”, tomato coulis,
crispy ham and potato rösti, hollandaise sauce

Lobster tail “au gratin”, pumpkin and pistachio agnolotti,
pineapple carpaccio, brown butter cream, roasted beetroot

or

Grilled wagyu beef tenderloin, roasted bone marrow
celeriac puree, mushroom powder, golden chanterelle

Frozen matcha green tea parfait, chocolate streusel,
white chocolate agar,
raspberry gel, blood orange sorbet

or

Pumpkin crème brûlée, honey granola and spiced chocolate crémeux, orange coulis, vanilla ice-cream

Entertainment: During dessert 2 lads with a guitar appeared and serenaded us. I had forgotten about this and it took me by surprise when they did show up. Basically we had the ability to choose 3 songs for them to sing to us. Well we both had brain freeze and couldn’t think of anything at the moment. I probably should have thought that one out prior but I was more concentrated on proposing. Anyways they did a good job singing to us and the singers ended by choosing:

1. Enrique Iglesias - Hero
2. Bryan Adams – Everything You Do I Do It For You
3. Rod Stewart - Have I Told You Lately I Love You

Proposal: Overlooking the water and everything went as I had planned. (A Big Yes)

Payment: Hotel accepts credit card or IDR so you can do either. I ended up tipping our butler a nice amount for making the night so memorable.

Summary:
I wouldn’t hesitate to do this again and I really have no regrets. If you want a great experience with a staff who actually looks after you on your special night I would say go for it. The entire researching, booking and the dinner itself experience was top notch. It is pricey but if you are going for a once in a lifetime memory I do believe you need to go out 1000%.

Pros:
-Romantic setting
-Great menu with deliciously prepared food
-Singing Duo was really good
-Incredible staff from booking, personal butler, chef

Cons:
-Need to plan way in advance for type of dinner/day requested
-Price is on the high end, but well worth it for a special occasion.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Britmaveric

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I had my weddingmoon at Ayana, it was just me and my husband and our photographer attending. Coordinating everything from the US wasn't as hard as we thought it'd be considering the time change.

There were very accommodating in moving our ceremony time earlier. We didn't think about lighting for pictures and an earlier time allowed us to get pictures during sunset around the resort/beach. The planning was easy, the ceremony was just OK. We couldn't understand what our priest was saying and the violinist wasn't that great.

Overall, food was great there and service is excellent! Highly recommend making reservations for cliff side seating at Kisik at sunset for dinner. One of the best dinner views you will ever have.

One thing we were disappointed in is how the rooms were handled. During our 8 day stay we spent the first few nights in a club room, then transitioned to a Villa, and then had an ocean view club suite. When we had talked to our coordinator about a middle option between the Villa and Club room, we were told the Club Suite was not an option. Had we of known it was, we would have clearly chosen it! In my opinion the Villas were over rated. Definitely opt for the Club Suite, it was awesome having the Club for breakfast and lunch. The service is great, food was good and beer/wine is offered.

Things I would have liked to have known:
* The beach is not swimmable, this is 100% a pool resort. The salt water pool is AWESOME, get there early to get a spot during the day or at sunset.

* There's nothing near the hotel - plus side, it's private and not party central. You can easily take a cab to Seminyak for $20 and be there in 30+ minutes. Definitely recommend checking it out, especially Potato Head Beach Club.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view club suite!! The food and drink options offered in the club are great and will...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We spent 5 days at the resort with my husband and 3 years old son to celebrate my husband's birthday and we had a fantastic experience. The staff was always friendly and were always on the look out as how they can make our stay more convenient and the staff was fond of our son. Our room was upgraded and we hade a two room suite. Our room was cleaned twice per day and we never noticed the cleaning personnel. The resort is beautiful, clean and magnificant!. We had the best vacation ever. I am already missing the breakfast! Selection was abundant and everything was freshly prepared. What can be better than fresh from the oven bakery? We tried all the restraurants incl. Rock Bar and the food was absolutely delicious (of course the cocktails too). We liked the buffet on Tuesday at the Padi restaurant with live performance and we spent our last dinner at the Grill restaurant and I have never in my life eaten better balinese spiced seafood! Overall I would give the hotel six stars if I could. Of course this is not a budget resort but you can expect your money's worth at Ayana. I also tried the spa (pedicure, facial, massage, foot massage) and had a very pleasant experience. Spa is highly recommended. Two things I would like to mention, there are lots of steps so it is not for stoller if you come with small children but with a baby carrier like ergo one can walk around with the infant. Also the hotel is at the ocean front but it is not for swimming and strolling due to the huge strong waves and rocks. Ayana you can definetely count on us next year!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank nemenyik
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Edna and I have holidayed all over the World in some of the very best hotels. U.K. Europe, Hong Kong, Singapore and all over Asia. Whenever we need a really good relaxing holiday off we go to Ayana again. All the top hotels are very good , but what makes Ayana different we think is the staff all are pleasant, friendly efficient and go out of their way to help you enjoy your stay. We enjoy an excellent holiday package to Ayana with "My Bali" at "The Holiday Centre" this really suits our needs.
We were there March 2014 and will be returning later this year.
John Kinsey Perth Western Australia

Room Tip: We have always had a deluxe room and found them to be excellent
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank john k
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I got married at the Ayana. It was such a great place I really hope I can get married a few more times. The staff were top notch, the setting and scenery even better. The only slight gripe I have was that they ran out of Sancerre after only 3 bottles. You cant have a wedding and not drink Sancerre - thats just plain uncouth.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bandit_Vancovuer888
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I have been in Bali and other south East Asian countries quite some times. Ayana resort has probably been the nicest location of all :) I have to admit, that I never spent time in such a premium location before ;)
Nevertheless, everything was perfect: food, room, staff...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Günther L
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The rock bar. the sunset. the spa every thing is really good. the resort is of 77 hectors with all facility available in the same. also the best part the people working with them are so courteous. you ask for something they are eager to help us. the Indian food available here is just superb.

Room Tip: Go for the sea facing villas they are too good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
Hilton Bali Resort
Hilton Bali Resort
#23 of 54 in Nusa Dua
The Villas at AYANA Resort

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa Bali? Share your experiences!