“Great quiet spot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 84 Jimbaran B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Great quiet spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed at the Astari Villa hotel in a deluxe suite for a week and found it to be a peaceful santucary away from the busy bustle of the Kuta/Legion area. It is has only been open since August 2012 so it is spotlessly clean and well appointed. The pool area is charming and the infinity pool makes a superb entrance statement as you step through the front doors. The young garden is being well maintained and we had no problems with mozzies during our stay. The breakfast menu was very adequate for us, often getting us through to mid afternoon. Be prepared to go out for other meals as the kitchen is not operating at present. We found a couple of Cafes with 200 metres of the Villa and it is only a short and cheap taxi journey down to the Jimbaran area for shopping and meals. It is easy access to the scenic Ullawatu and Nusa dua areas but is a drive to Sanur and Ubud, especially with all the roadworks around the airport at the moment. The staff were lovely and always willing to help when required. It has a gorgeous two bedroom private villa with a pool and secluded outdoor bathroom as well as a couple of villas under construction. As the word gets out about the superb standard available at the Astari I should think with the extra accomodation, the kitchen will be open for all day meals which would add appeal. i would recommend the Astari Villa hotel for that quiet Bali getaway.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Agung-TheAstari, Owner at The Astari - Villa and Residence, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Wenb,

Thanks for the awesome review and thanks for trusting us to serving you. It has been privilege for us to have you in The Astari Villa.

Thanks for the suggestion, we will definitely keep developing the variety of services to our guest.

Next time please contact us if you need any help, we will surely arrange your stay and trip.

Thanks.

Agung

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Surabaya, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

We stayed at Astari for 3 days 2 nights at the villa. The Villa is located next to the mini hotels with a private pool. One of our friends who has a kid was having fun swimming at the private pool. The pool water is definitely one of the best as it feels very refreshing. Locationwise, Astari is not too bad, as it is close to Ayana and Jimbaran Seafood in which case we enjoyed very much. The breakfast has very limited choice but OK to start your day. Room is clean, service was good and people are very friendly. I think overall we enjoyed our time there :)

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Agung-TheAstari, General Manager at The Astari - Villa and Residence, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Yusteen,

Thanks for staying with The Astari Villa & Residence. It has been our pleasure to serving you. Please do not hesitate to give us recommendation to improve, we always love to hear suggestion from our guests.

Thanks once again for becoming family with us. We hope to see you again soon in your next visit.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Lovely little place located in Jimbaran. As the Villa is quite small, you basically get the pool to yourself most of the time. I travelled as part of a bridal party and the staff were very accommodating to our needs and wants. Sunny at Reception was amazing, going the extra mile to ensure we were comfortable.

Location-wise, it's not the best as a tourist visiting Bali for the first time. Nusa Dua is about a 20 minute taxi ride away and Kuta is about the same.

Breakfast is not buffet, however it is made to order. They have your usual choices of American breakfast, a small continental breakfast, traditional Indonesian Nasi Goreng and Mie Goreng and some healthy options too. I did not sample the lunch or dinner menus, however my travelling companions said it was great.

Reception is not 24 hours, so try and get all your questions answered and whatnot done before 11pm which is when reception go home for the night. The pool also "closes" at 10pm, however the staff allow you to swim only that the lights in the pool area automatically turn off at 10pm.

The villa is a quiet getaway from the real world. There are no other big facilities such as a gym or a spa, but for what you pay for, this is a great place.

Room Tip: Choose a suite and request for one on level 1, which is ground floor. When you step out of the room...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank elliegator
Agung-TheAstari, Owner at The Astari - Villa and Residence, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for staying with us at The Astari Villa & Residence. Thank you for giving us your time to review us on TripAdvisor.

It has been our privileged to serving you. Please do not hesitate to give us suggestion to improve, we always love to hear that.

Lastly, stay in touch and do not hesitate to contact us to arrange you / your family / your friends trip to Bali.

Agung@theastari.com
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed at The Astari for 3 days and 2 nights with 3 of my friends. Apparently, we were the only locals at that time.
Before getting to the hotel, my friends and I had a little bit of an "incident" when the hotel forgot to send their driver to pick us up at the Airport, but after what it seemed like a lengthy phone call at the time, the problem was solved when they sent a taxi for us. So, don't forget to confirm everything before you land, people!
Now, on to the hotel.
The place was just wonderful!
You know when hotels sometimes put up pretty pictures on their website to lure guests into checking in into their hotels, this was not the case with The Astari. Everything was as beautiful as in the pictures. My friends almost refused to go outside to actually "have" our vacation as they really loved their rooms.
They only had 14 rooms (and villas which I had no chance to check out because our schedule was super packed), so it's quiet and tranquil and so relaxing.
The rooms were clean and looked really new.
The beds were comfortable, and no matter how much tossing and turning around you did, the sheets would always stay neat (just my kind of bed).
And the pool was only feet away from our room, and it was great. I wasn't sure, but the water was always warm. Was it the sun or they really did heat the water (if yes, so nice of them).
The staff was nice and did everything (no kidding, everything) we asked for. Yeah, we are locals, so of course language barrier was not a problem.
The Astari is definitely recommended!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Agung-TheAstari, Manager at The Astari - Villa and Residence, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Antonia,

Thanks for the awesome review. It has been a privilege for us to be able to serving you. We truly hope that you enjoy your stay at The Astari. If there is any imperfection in our service we apologize.

Thanks for recommending us. We hope to serve you, your family, and your friend again in the future.

If there is anything that i can help, please let me know.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

I traveled with only 2 children ages 5 and 9 from 26-29 March 2013. The Astari is quite a new residence so not every driver knows the exact location. Our driver got lost and it was getting dark but we were somewhere near. But luckily, I had seen the Jimbaran hotel map before and it was still on my mind. So I mentioned it was near Abi Bali and Pat Mase. Then our driver got it and found the way. Then with every driver, I told them when they passed Abi Bali and Pat Mase, they need to turn in. In addition, the sign to The Astari was very small and can be easily missed. If your driver lost his way, tell him that he needs to pass by Abi Bali and Pate Mase and look for The Astari white sign on the left on a turn to Jl. Kencana Selatan (if I remember correctly the name of the road).

To me, The Astari compound is indeed quite narrow although it looks quite spacious in the photos provided by its management. We were given a room in the upper storey in the middle. However, the room main door lock was so shoddy and loose with break-in marks, even the safety hinge from the inside was loose and with a push they will fall out. I couldn't sleep that well on the first night as this hotel was in the middle of a very isolated place, the shoddy locks and security of the place unknown. If you have younger children you need to be careful of the balconies as there are also chairs to climb on. If you take the lower floor, you still need to be aware that the main door that goes directly out to the pool and younger children may need extra supervision. However, my children love the pool so much and had the most fun in it. I agree that the pool is very nice and a good size and easy to supervise if you have children with you.

We like the room as it was clean, nice and spacious. The shower was good because the water pressure was sufficient which was very important for me so that we can shower efficiently and quickly each time (as 1 adult taking care of 2 children). There was a kitchenette with cupboards (which we didn't use), a sink and kettle which is very convenient. But I think the sink was very dirty that I dare not put our own drinking bottles in there for washing.

Breakfast was sufficient. But after eating for the second day, you will not feel like eating it for the third day because they are of limited choices. Due to the location of the hotel which is around 15-20 minutes to the shops and restaurants, we find it not convenient because the shuttle service was only one way service twice a day (morning to Jimbaran and afternoon to Nusa Dua) which you have to book preferably a day before. So I ordered in-house satay and chicken steak. We could hardly eat those as they were the worst food we have tasted anywhere before. I understand why because their lunch turnover was slow and probably those meats were in the freezer for a long time. I really felt like dashing into their kitchen and cook the chicken in an edible way even though there were no longer fresh and frozen for a long time, providing cooking lessons there on how you can cook the chicken in another way. However, that would be an insult if I were to do that. The next meal we made sure it wasn't in-house. So we had our meals at Jimbaran and Nusa Dua. If you end up at Nusa Dua, do be prepare to burn your pockets as the food are not really that nice and expensive compare to other towns in the whole of Bali. Even the things in CoCo Supermarket and massage was double the price elsewhere.

Wi-fi is provided free of charge but it was slow even in the common areas and sometimes impossible in the room.

Thumbs up for complete TV channels in The Astari to ease the boredom of anyone young or old and there is a very much appreciated Cartoon Network to keep the children entertained when you are doing some short planning, washing up and preparation for a trip. After The Astari, we did not find the next hotel or villa providing complete TV channels in which my children were very disappointed. This is something for parents to consider too especially if you are a single parent as you do not have the other partner to ease the boredom of the children even for a short time. Everything needs to be extra efficient for the single parent. But don't get me wrong, for well-being, children should only watch TV for a short time only say 1/2-1hr. If they watch too long it will be child neglecting which is incorrect.

At the time of our stay, there was construction going on in one of the neighbours, I have not seen the superstructure yet, which means they have just started. There will be machinery sound during the day if you laze at the pool. But I suppose if they complete the foundation very soon, it will not be noisy anymore when they are constructing the superstructure.

If you stay in The Astari be prepared of the inconvenience, although you can easily call for a taxi from the hotel. But if you are late to go out or late to come back, be prepared to pay more for transportation if you are lucky to find one. Not all taxis are willing to come up late at night as probably they will loose one way business and even if they do they will charge a bit more.

The staffs are very nice and helpful and will attend to your every need. If you like to laze on a deck chair and do not like to walk around, The Astari is really value for money and a nice and clean place to stay for families and couples.

Room Tip: All rooms are good in the Astari as they are consistent, no matter upper storey or ground. However...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dreamon21
Agung-TheAstari, Manager at The Astari - Villa and Residence, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for giving us your time Reviewing The Astari Villa & Residence. Your Review is awesome.

We will definitely looking forward to improving our service day by day to make sure our guest satisfaction.

I am actually the one that driving you to Nusa Dua, I am glad to be able to meeting you in person. I am sorry I do not get your name. The next time you want to cook let me know, I definitely want to try your cook, it must be great.

Please let me know if you need any help. I would be happy to help and arrange your next stay with us.

Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

This is a lovely little place...tucked away in the Jimbaran hills. Bali Modern, with a great balance of Island Style and up to date amenities. There are only 14 rooms in a two level building, all facing a very stylish pool and garden. There are also two more up market villas with private pools, which unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to view. The standard rooms will be very pleasing to anyone who has been looking for comfortable accommodation in the budget range. There's a hint of indulgence in the finishes, it's immaculaely clean, and maintained so during your stay.
Breakfast is included, and very good too, and the kitchen is open for lunch with a limited but good menu. There is no dinner service at this time, but there are arrangements for dinner to be brought in by a few local restaurants, at cheap local prices. If you looking to stay in Jimbaran, you're planning to be out and about, particularly in the evening, looking for a quiet place to come back to with a great pool, the Astari is highly recommended.

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thanks for the excellence Review. It has been our pleasure to be able to serving you at The Astari Villa & Residence.

Thanks for the input and suggestion, we will definitely keep improving our service day by day to ensure each of our guest are satisfied.

Please let me know if you need anything. The next time you come back to Bali we will definitely willing to arrange your holiday.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

This hotel seems very new. It is lovely & quiet. Only 14 rooms, modern & comfortable. They do have a 2 bedroom villa & they are building 2x 1 bedroom apartments. Best pool i have ever swam in! So tranquil.
Breakfast was just above average, only 4 meals to choose from, and as for the restaurant it wasnt really running, the cook was hardly there & we actually would of spent quite a bit of money if he had been there more. Location is not central to Kuta. About 20 mins or so to get there - due to traffic, but only costs $5, so just be aware of that. Staff great & so onto the ball. Felt really looked after. This is the place to stay if you want tranquil!

1 Thank Alana r
Agung-TheAstari, Manager at The Astari - Villa and Residence, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Dear Alana,

Thank you very much for giving your time to review about us on trip advisor. It has been our pleasure to have you stay in our property.

We will take your input about our restaurant and develop more on it so that guests could enjoy more while staying on our property and improve more on the transportation service to bridge the distance with the crowd center.

If there is any discomfort that we have made, we apologize

If you or your friend would come again to Bali please let us know. We will happily to serve you and make the best experience while in Bali.

Sincerely,.