“'luxury'? I think not.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Jolie Hostel
Ranked #32 of 105 Speciality Lodging in Jimbaran
“'luxury'? I think not.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

For a place which bills itself as "Bali's luxury hostel", Jolie misses the mark by a country mile. It isn't even a good hostel by any standard, really:

- the sign which tells you not to use YouTube or download anything because boohoo, their Internet is only 1Mbps. Well Jolie, the fact is you're a hostel. meaning at any one time, you'll be hosting a couple dozen digital natives, who expect Internet of a decent speed.

- oh, and the fact that the wifi didn't reach my 2nd floor room.

- there was a preachy little sign next to the toilet saying please help save toilet paper and use the 'Eco washer' ie a little hose next to the EMPTY toilet paper holder. Hey Jolie, how about you save water and give your guests - 99% of whom come from countries which use toilet paper rather than water after taking a dump - some toilet paper?

- they make you take your shoes off to get to the bedrooms. fine if your hostel is spotless, but it's not. I can feel the grit on my feet, which you made me bare.

- the lamp in my room isn't working. in fact, the wire has broken away from the plug, but clearly that small detail escaped notice by the staff.

- the shower curtain rail is coming off its mounts.

- the design of the rooms is completely bare and utilitarian.

- and fyi, it's down an unlit path which is uneven in parts and has some pretty aggressive stray dogs hanging around it. also, at least 150m from the main road rather than the 50m the sign claims.

Look Jolie - most people have reasonable expectations. you're a hostel, I get it. you're reasonably priced, I get it. but there are some things which are essential to a hostel in this day and age - reliable wifi, and toilet paper. fix it.

also, don't bill yourself as a 'luxury hostel' when you clearly don't know the meaning of the word!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank lancedotjohn

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

So I arrived there at the beginning of my trip in Bali. I booked there cuz it was the best rated, and I wanted to start comfy and easy.

Three days later, I was somewhere else, and after one month of travelling, I was still missing my time at Jolie ; so I came back ! Stayed there for my last three weeks.

Why ?

Cuz you have the best staff ever. You have a divine bed with AC. You have clean bathroom. You have breakfast (to cook as you like it). You have a quiet environment down a street. You have accomodation like market or restaurant close by. You have free Wifi, flat screen tv in the lobby with a thousand of movies, a small pool. You can rent a motorbike easily. You are in the centre of the south peninsula, wich means 8 beaches at 15 min of bike all around. For partying in Kuta is about 25 min of taxi, for around 5$ per person. It is big enough to meet people, but small enough to really connect with some. You have the best ratio of price/value possible !

Jolie Hostel was for me and my brother the best place to stay !!

Room Tip: There is a private room with two beds and bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was stay two month in the jolie hostel, because it is a very nice place with an amazing staff.
You have the more beautiful beach of bali at 5 or 20 min in motorbike.
At the top of the street you can find the best food with the "STOP".
The room and the bathroom are every day cleaned. The bed is just perfect !
And you can meet so much people for the party.

If you want really good time, go to the jolie hostel !!

"And we dance, and we cried, and we laught, and we have a really really good time"
Thanks for every things JOLIE HOSTEL.

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

NIce place to stay at the bukit of jimbaran. clean room, hot shower, comfy bed and pillow. Great atmosphere at the hostel.
Adi the manager and other staff always willing to help me n other guests with information about great beaches near the area,taking best tour around the island or even as simple as where to get a good reasonable price massage. its actually very close to the hostel, around 5 minutes walk, close to minimart.
I rent a scooter for couple of days, for +/- $5 a day,which made my life super easy to went around the area.
oh, they have free breakfast too, a simple toast,butter and jam can never go wrong. they provide eggs too. which you can cook it to your liking. They provide a fridge which is very convenient to put my yogurt and juice.
All and all, i have awesome experience while staying here, no complain what so ever :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

i stay in august with my friend,the hostel is new n everything is good,small pool, tv, look more nice in the picture,the place so far away from everything,also we cant ride the bike so very dificult for us for go to other place,no beaches n in the midle no where,the price should be more cheap with the location like this,n cost for taxi to expensif for come to this place,maybe good for some one relax n stay in but no good for who want holiday or not good for travelers like us,n the breakfast also weird

Room Tip: the dorm is nice
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We went not long after it had opened, this was my first hostel - I thought wow, if hostels are like this why have I ever bothered with hotels - (I soon realised that not all hostels are like this) - but I loved this one, small, intimate, friendly staff who were happy to help. It had a nice feel, secure and the pool was lovely.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Belfast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

In fairness to Jolie Hostel, their bunk beds are the best beds I have ever slept in in a hostel!
Other than that, it was pretty disappointing.

Here are the reasons I have given it a "poor" rating:

- The hostel is in a strange location, just off a very busy road, near GWK. The location isn't too bad in terms of exploring the beaches of the Bukit Peninsula, but in order to do so is is ESSENTIAL that you have a moped/car. You won't want to stay around the hostel.

- We tried to hire a moped or car from Jolie Hostel, but were informed that there were no mopeds or cars available to rent in the whole of the Bukit Peninsula, unless we wanted to hire a driver as well which would be pretty pricey. So we ended up taking a taxi to and from the beach, which was expensive in itself. This was particularly frustrating as when we later tried to hire a moped from a different place, this was no problem, and it was cheaper than Jolie Hostel advertised.

- Breakfast is listed as "included" in the price. But in reality, what this means is that the hostel put out cheap white bread and eggs for guests to cook their own breakfast. This is fine, but as this wasn't the case in any other place we stayed, I think this should be made clear on the website.

- Whilst guests are free to use the kitchen, the fridge is for "Staff use only", which makes the kitchen pretty useless, i.e. you can't even store a bottle of milk or fruit juice.

- The rooms were nicely kept, and fairly clean. However, the bathrooms were dirty, and didn't smell great. They also consistently had no toilet roll, even when we told reception there wasn't any.

I am in no way a "precious" traveller, however I really felt that Jolie Hostel was over-priced for what we got. We (myself and 2 friends) stayed at Jolie for 2 nights, and then moved to a great villa near Balangan beach. It was in a great location, spotlessly clean, close to the beach, private room and bathroom, and delicious breakfast with fresh fruit and pancakes every morning. We were also able to rent scooters from our villa no problem for $5 a day; half the price of Jolie. The villa was cheaper than a shared room in Jolie.

Basically, have a look on airbnb, or other villa websites, for a much better deal!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
Temple Hill Residence Villa
The Jimbaran Bali Villa Restaurant and Spa
Villa Hanani
Villa Hanani
#19 of 105 in Jimbaran

Been to Jolie Hostel? Share your experiences!