“Looking back I wonder if I was dreaming...”

RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
Ranked #12 of 55 Hotels in Jimbaran
Hong Kong, China
“Looking back I wonder if I was dreaming...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Rimba has its pros & cons, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
I've stayed in a number of hotels, but Rimba inspired me to get on tripadvisor and make an account - so that itself should say enough. And if I express the cons, it's because I love the resort/hotel so much that I'm vouching for it's improvements.

Cons:
noise: took me a while to get the right room, away from the construction. wasn't even notified about construction. that would've helped me jumping rooms. loud people around the lobby level rooms at 1:45am. Might've been a one off, but very disturbing.
jogging track: I don't know how many people use this. But I got lost. And there was construction. So as a woman running around in shorts, I wasn't particularly at ease. I understand if things are being built, but surely little jogging signs along the path would help - and I don't think it'd cost much. Most resorts have that, a signposted jogging track. Just so you know you're going in the right direction.
breakfast: sometimes fantastic, sometimes lack of variety and oily and way too salty. some fresher, organic options would be great.
location: far, which is fine. but a shuttle bus every now and then to ubud or seminyak would do wonders for guests.

now to the fantastic stuff.
the room: wow. comfortable bed, after spending a whole day in the resort, i could just sink into the bed and drift into a deep sleep. the tv: perfect size. the bathtub: massive. (they could also provide some bubble bath amentities, i didn't realize how much i'd want to utilize the tub!). the interior design of the room is fantastic.
the pools: so much fun, lovely cabanas. no shortage of sun beds. attentive pool staff. sunset swims literally took my breath away.
the dinner: i had a wonderful dinner at TOGE. more vegetarian options would be fantastic, but it was definitely better than the breakfast. I had things like the gado gado and vegetable tagine.
ayana facilities: the ocean beach pool gets ridiculously full, but if u go before breakfast its ideal. the shuttle bus is very convenient.
the beach: is gorgeous, but it's very sandy and a bit rough. and the 200 steps up and down to it in the heat can feel quite intense. but a gorgeous beach nonetheless.
the staff: majority very sweet and friendly
the interior design: gorgeous. especially at night the way the lobby twinkles. my photos should say it all

Overall, I didn't want to come back home. I felt at home as soon as I checked in. What a gorgeous property. And for the price it's amazing, (please don't change the nightly rates :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ayra59
RimbaJimbaranBali, General Manager at RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear ‘kaydee588’

Thank you very much for your feedback after staying at RIMBA Jimbaran Bali.

I am glad you enjoyed your experience and note your comments on where we can improve. I apologize that you became lost while jogging, and we are printing jogging maps as I write this, to avoid this happening again.

Again thank you very much and I look forward to welcoming you back soon to RIMBA.

Roger Habermacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
toronto, ontario, canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights with a friend when we first landed in Bali. We were met at the airport for an easy transfer to the hotel and welcomed into the van with a cold water and cold moist cloth to freshen up. The hotel is beautiful!Several pools, stunning grounds. We had a room with two single beds that faced the pool. Beds were comfortable and room was clean and we'll appointed. All our meals were excellent- we booked our room without the included breakfast and instead ordered off the a la carte menu (half the price of buffet, and delicious options that were more than enough to eat). They helped us arrange a visit to the spa at the sister hotel Ayana, and our fast boat transfer to Gili T. When we left this morning we had boxed breakfast ordered to take with us and they were able to convert some currency for us.
This hotel had everything we needed and wanted. Service was incredibly friendly!
Would recommend and return myself!
(They also have a kids club and babysitting if needed and there were families with small kids as well as many couples of varying ages).

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Being a backpacker who usually bargains $5 to $15 / night - rates in Asia, going to a $240,- / night place doesn't happen very often.

The reason I ended up there was a visit to the Rock Bar in the sister hotel Ayana (the places are basically the same deal, share the pools, restaurants and bars, just the Ayanas rooms are more expensive because it has a nicer area and the Rock Bar..).

If you don't want the prosa you can skip down to the hard facts.

So how it came to be
.................................
I met two Canadians and a couple from Belgium who were on the way to the airport and still had some time, so we decided to check out the sunset in the world-famous Rock Bar.

Since we'were obviously not from the exclusive hotel they seated us on a table on the side, that we thought was actually very cool because it was closest to the sunset.

What we didn't know was that this table was seated so far outside that it gets an occasional wave hitting it. Which basically means after 20mins we were all completely soaked, sitting in the cooling afternoon sun.

I asked the waiter if this happens every day, and he confirmed with a frozen smile. Since my SLR was still dripping saltwater I considered slapping him for a moment, but then decided to enjoy the 'cool' view a little more and not worry about it, too much.
Nothing else to do: They actually put us there on purpose, thank you Ayana/Rimba, that's so delightful. They still took our 15€ for a Cuba Libre and 7€ per a beer though ...

My visit in the Rimba
................................
So being all soaked and about to catch a cold on my vacation (which I have now sitting in another resort around the corner), I went to the Rimba to ask for a price. Instead of the $200,- they really gave me $155,-/night (forgot to point out the 20% tax and service charge, but what the heck) and I asked them directly for a nice view since getting a room at that rate is not usual for me.

While the Korean girl who had welcomed me was trying to give professional service, I heard the manager mumble 'No breakfast...' and telling her another room number instead of the one she had just chosen to show me.

So since I was not about to pay about $50 for a breakfast, I didn't get one of the front rooms that I asked for, but I got the room that seemed to be the farthest away from the lobby, looking directly into a tree. The rooms below me had access to the lawn from their terrace, the rooms above me had a view over the trees. What did I ask for?

[sarcasm]
Ah. Right. I wonder if that guy makes as much a month as I paid in the end for staying a night. But as my grandma always used to tell me: Never ask the guy in the lobby if he would pay $50 for a breakfast himself, because then he gets all upset and stops smiling and when the guys in the lobby stop smiling they get shot and replaced with another guy that smiles even more and we don't want that.
[/sarcasm]

My dear friends from the Rimba resort, from a place of your price range I would expect better than a greedy desk. Either you offer rooms at a lower rate to walkins or you don't. If you do treat them like every other client as well.

the Staff
..............
Everybody in this hotel constantly smiles, and I think after working in the Ayana/Rimba they will wake up from nightmares smiling. If you've seen Old Boy (the original) and you remember the last scene when he hugs his loved one, you know what I mean.
"Laugh, and the world laughes with you, cry, and you cry alone."

The waitresses are extraordinary hot, wearing parfume that is way to expansive for a waitress in Indonesia to pay for and a uniformed short skirt (the really short ones) that come in especially handy sitting in the lower decks of the Rock Bar (that's where unwelcome guests get the saltwater showers). Because if you want or not you'll occasionally look up to the upper decks what's going on. I would call that very client oriented. Don't be a muslem if you want to work there, though ...

The difference between the girls in the Ayana and the girls in the Rimba is that Ayana-chics are in a black short-skirt-costume while Rimba's beautiful 20-year-olds are in a Kaki dress of the same making.

I met a very nice waitress, though, that was not only incredibly hot but really nice also. I mean I had a real conversation as far at the rim of superficion as she's permitted to go. The girl at the reception was a charm as well, really helpful. More or less like in every place that has hundreds of people working there. Some people you get along with more, some less. Except that in this one really everybody smiles always ...

the Room
...............
Okay, as much as I enjoy complaining, fair is fair: The room was perfect. If it would have been with the view I've asked for... well. The beds are high quality, the showers are awesome.
The terrace behind the tree was very spacy and comfortable.
I didn't turn on the huge LED TV but it looked fancy (I was proud having it for a night).
I'm not regularly staying in hotels of that price range, so I only have the Best Western in Nicaragua, and the Hilton in Costa Rica to compare ... the room easily beats everything that I've stayed in before. It is truly a $150 - room.

the Area
................
The deal with the Rimba is that you get to use the facilities of the Ayana as well, it just takes 5 minutes with the shuttle service that goes every 15minutes.
And I can see why that deal is necessary to make people pay as much. While the architecture of the Rimba has some very nice and special features, it's a beautiful place, the pools are more to look at and lay at then to swim in.

Just look at the pictures on their site, the area looks awesome but to my mind is not really suitable as a summer resort away from the beach.

That doesn't matter though, since you can go over to the Ayana which has a beautiful garden area and some cool pools (as it seemed). Since I've caught a cold in the Rock Bar I couldn't make use of that offer.

I just have to thank you guys again for that awesome spot you hold available for unwanted guests. Maybe you could install a webcam as to share how people, cameras, mobile phones and laptops get sprayed with saltwater every now and then.

How did the waiter say? "At this spot you have everything ... water, sun and sand". I then realized that it really was the only table standing in the sand, while all the other tables were standing on marble. It's a story to tell.

the Prices
................
Spendy. If you're on a budget this is not the place to take a couple days off the cheap places, because it's just overdoing it. You spend like $10 for a beer or so ... all the prices (including room rates) get another 10% service charge and another 10% taxes on top. So my $155,- became a $186,- and every bill gets a spendy surprise.
I didn't even look at the food. All in all I would say a price level more or less like around Notre Dame in Paris.

the Other guests
...........................
The average client that spends a budget starting at $240,- / night doesn't look for a hostel experience. So people stick to themselves.

Hard facts
-------------
+ very nice rooms
+ through the Ayana hotel very nice gardens and pools (I suppose)
~ 'the smiling staff', some helpful, some not
- very spendy, you're worth what you're worth in the bank

Under the line it was an experience, but none I have to repeat.

Not if it costs me time of my vacation to recover from a cold and my SLR. None of our mobiles where on the table as the wave hit in and after being asked (!!!) they replaced the beers that were salted after that ... so minor damage done but about a hundred miles away from a service I expect in a bar that takes $10 for a 0,33 beer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank BagOnBack
hong kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We are a couple from Hong Kong in our late twenties traveling to Bali for the first time. I have been to Phuket, Thailand twice; Sabah, Malaysia; and Kenting, Taiwan. We stayed in Rimba Resort for 5 days for a relaxing holiday.

Service, staff and security:
Service was excellent! All the staff has a smile on their face every time they make eye contact with a guest. Whenever they see you standing around the hotel, they will ask "How may I assist you?" and "Certainly!" is the most heard response from the staff. The service was very consistence for all of their staff for our 5 days of stay. All of their English communication was understandable.

The first Rimba staff that we encountered was the security guard at the gate of the main entrance. They have a guest list of all their guests for initial screening to ensure the security. Upon checking the vehicle for safety screening, you will arrive at the main lobby after another 3 minutes drive. All the guest were greeted with a fresh flower necklace, tasty welcoming drink and a cold face towel with fresh lime smell during their check-in service. The check-in staff was professional and it only took us 10 minutes until we reached our room.

The Room:
The hotel was decorated with many fresh flowers, plants and it was observed that the management paid many attentions to the details in the design. We lived in the Jimbaran Bay View Room at Room 41XX (same level as the lobby). It took us around 1 minute to walk from our room to the main lobby. The room was spacious, neat and clean. The hardness of the bed was just right for us to enjoy a good night sleep. However, the bedding was too thick and I often break out a body of sweat during the night (The air-conditioning was not self adjustable). The big round bathtub is the highlight of the bathroom, there is a big shower head installed at the ceiling for guests to enjoy different kind of showering experience. Having said that, the quality of the shampoo and the body wash was a bit disappointing in comparing to the other "Rimba experience" they provided.

In the first two nights, our room light turned on automatically at around 1 a.m. Upon our enquiry with the front desk on the next morning, the problem was very well handled by the staff with an apology card placed in our room before we return from day trip.

The Breakfast:
We have the breakfast buffet at the hotel 4 days in a row and we noticed there were a minor difference in food variety from day to day to keep their guest's excitement. However, it was a bit expensive at around $ 38 USD per person per breakfast. Also, if you choose to sit outside by the fish pound, there are crowds of small flies around the pound, beware.

The Location:
The location of the hotel is at least 20 minutes away from the closest tourist attraction - Kuta or Jimbraran Bay. However, their sister hotel Ayana has a large number of taxi (by meter) available upon request.

Restaurant:
There are only three restaurant in Rimba (including Unique - a newly opened bar). The choice of food is limited. However, the quality was good with a reasonable price.

The Swimming Pool and the beach:
There are many pools in Rimba with many kinds of beach chairs/ bed of different design avilable for their guest. It was very comfortable to have our choise of seating anywhere we wanted. We only discovered the KUBU beach and the ocean pool on the last day. Both of which are located at Ayana Resort. There are transportation every 15 mins running between Ayana lobby, Ayana Spa lobby, Rimba lobby, and Kubu beach. Kuba Beach is a private beach for Ayana and Rimba guest with tolite, fresh water, towels and cold water provided. The ocean pool on the other hand is a cliff-sided pool with an amazing view overseeing the Indian Ocean.

Overall:
I have done a massive amount of research on the hotel and the location and Rimba totally lived up to our standard. We loved the Rimba Experience, and the design of the hotel very much. All the staff was very helpless and friendly with smile on their faces. The service was consistence with sufficient support infrastructure in place for the enjoyment of their guest. Hotel management paid attention to the details of how guests feel on the very first step on arrival until they leave the hotel. We would recommend this hotel to anyone. Other than the Sun shine, Rimba is what we missed after we returned.

Room Tip: Tips for room: For Jimbaran Bay View room, it is ideal to stay as close to the lobby as possible bec...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
RimbaJimbaranBali, General Manager at RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear ‘Godwin H’

It’s truly an honor to know that you enjoyed your stay at RIMBA Jimbaran Bali and I very much appreciate you taking the time to share such detailed feedback. I am glad that our team members welcomed you so warmly, and that you felt spoilt by the facilities both at RIMBA and AYANA including the 11 swimming pools, 15 restaurants and bars, Priority Access to Rock Bar Bali, the private Kubu Beach, and complimentary shuttle to go around the resort.

I note your comment about the buffet breakfast which is priced at approximately USD30 net per person. I will personally look into the variety of food on offer each morning to ensure the selection remains interesting for guests staying several days, and I will also review the adjacent pond area with the Housekeeping department.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back soon to RIMBA.

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

We were a group of 4 (two couples) staying for 3 nights. First of all, I love the free wifi. Helps me to stay connected and share my photos with family and friends. Service was excellent. All the staff members were super helpful and polite, from helping us get a taxi, restaurant suggestions, and pretty much any requests we have. Next up... the pools at both Rimba and Ayana. The chairs by the pools are set up and ready, when you get there they open up the towels for you. they offer free bottled water on request. They'll get you umbrella if the sun gets too hot. Even at Kubu beach, where it's 197 steps down AND up when you return, they give u a cold towel and water. Such excellent service is what I love about Rimba.

We booked a package that included breakfast at Toge which was okay, variety was geared more towards the Asian palate.

Next up, the room!! My friends and I had connecting rooms. The king size bed was super comfortable. The bathroom had a big round tub with ginormous rain shower head. Plenty of toiletries available including floss, mouth wash, q-tips, nail file, toothpaste, etc.

Overall, 4.5 stars!! The service was definitely excellent and above and beyond. The only reason it's not a 5/5 is because the food wasn't that great, not that it was bad, just room for improvement.

You can't go wrong staying here!! Enjoy your time here especially the use of Ayana's facilities including the ocean beach pool!! Paradise!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CrispyRN
Dear ‘CrispyRN’

Thank you very much for sharing your experience after staying at RIMBA Jimbaran Bali.

I am delighted to know you enjoyed the shared facilities of RIMBA and AYANA with the 11 swimming pools, 15 restaurants and bars, Kubu Beach and complimentary shuttle to go around the resort.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Vladivostok, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Absolutely COOL place (altogether with relative Ayana). Newly opened.
A lot of pools in both hotels, including great pools and facilities for kids.
Staff absolute friendly, attentive and helpful!!!! Smiles, smiles, smiles!!!! Smiles are everywhere you are on this big territory.
Not bad breakfast, amazing bar in Ayana(for guest of both hotels entrance without line, that was very convenient, because many visitors coming from outside and line was about 50 more metres and was actually slow). Chinese restaurant in Rimba with dim-sum and cold beer was fantastic.
Taxi service provided by hotel is adequate, fast and reasonable.
Beach is fantastic but waves are very strong and often hang red flag.
No claims, no disappointments, only positive feelings!!!!
Don't doubt!!Worth visited!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
RimbaJimbaranBali, General Manager at RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear ‘ostol2006’

Thank you for sharing your experience after staying at RIMBA Jimbaran Bali.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay including the cuisine at Ah Yat Abalone Seafood Restaurant and the Priority Access to Rock Bar Bali. As you note, RIMBA is the new sister hotel of AYANA Resort and Spa, and all guests enjoy convenient access to both resorts’ facilities with complimentary shuttle service.

Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to RIMBA and AYANA.

Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Nice new hotel, very tastefully decorated. Modern and clean/green rather than traditional balinese style (Ayana has more of a traditional feel to it than Rimba). Excellent daily cleaning of rooms. Stayed in Hill Side room - spacious room with nice balcony and interior/exterior furniture. Bed very comfortable - you will have a great sleep. Bedding cover is a bit thick (too hot) - wake up dehydrated.

You can hear neighboring rooms (above, next door) - children yelling/crying/running and doors closing / noise from cleaners. Nice mood lighting in room/bathroom but not practical when you need light e.g. trying to do your make up. But in summary, room is very comfortable and nice.

Lovely pools, all pools we experienced are shallow in depth (up to 1.2m) - good for children... a little shallow for adults. We liked the top pool. Nice pool furniture, lots of beautiful, private seating options in which to chill out. Staff in pool area are very accommodating, helpful and friendly. Nice touch to offer free bottles of water and plenty of towels nearby.

Breakfast was disappointing. There was lots of selection including many asian choices - catered well to the many asian guests. Poached eggs undercooked and stone cold. Boiled eggs come with grey yolk. Waffles rock hard and pancakes not good. Nice range of salad, pastry, fruit and juice options. Staff at restaurant seem to ask us same question all the time - do not communicate with each other. Staff do not always give way to guests.

Enjoyed our time at the resort but have enjoyed other places more. Very far from anywhere but nice safe location of families. Be sure to travel across to Ayana for nice food.

English is hit and miss. It's sometimes quite hard to communicate with them.

The rock bar at Ayana is quite good, good live DJ with great views, great cocktail menu.

Overall a good hotel but there are better options to our taste/needs/preferences as a couple that enjoys a character, romantic accommodation.

Room Tip: Hill view = view over staff car park. Rooms not very sound proof. Seem to hear crying/running child...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travellinck
Dear ‘Travellinck’

Thank you for your feedback and your comments on areas where we can improve to provide maximum relaxation for all guests.

As you mentioned, RIMBA and AYANA are secluded destination resorts, located within a 90 hectare property above Jimbaran, 20 minutes drive from the airport. RIMBA is perfect for travelers looking for maximum relaxation away from the hustle and bustle of the busy tourist areas. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused by the noises you heard and I will work with Engineering to review our insulation. I also note your comments on the breakfast experience. Our Chefs maintain the highest standard in delivering fresh cuisine to all guests, and I will cascade your feedback to our Executive Chef for our review and improvement.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back for a more relaxing experience at RIMBA.

Roger Habermacher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
Le Meridien Bali Jimbaran
#13 of 55 in Jimbaran
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,399 reviews
INTERCONTINENTAL Bali Resort
The Villas at AYANA Resort BALI

Been to RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA? Share your experiences!