“Misleading”

The Umalas Equestrian Resort
Ranked #83 of 167 Outdoor Activities in Kuta
More attraction details
Owner description: Imagine discovering the tropical island of Bali by horseback. At The Umalas Equestrian Resort we can make your dreams come true. German-owned and in operation for more than a decade, meeting the highest international standards.Facilities include 35-horse stables, indoor and outdoor arenas, paddocks, one Suite and four Deluxe Rooms each with en-suite bathrooms & private balconies overlooking the Resort as well as an established restaurant flanked by a generous swimming pool.
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The brochure is out of date, they no longer take the horses on the beach, we were told that it was 5 years since hores rides had been taken on the beach. Also be aware that there is a maximum weight limit of 86 kgs, this is not stated in their brochure and we did not find this out until after we had booked and they would not give us a refund as one of our party was over the weight limit.

8  Thank derbyshirelass180

Reviewed 15 April 2011

Pulling up into the entrance to the front office, none of us expected the incredibly clean and modern state of the stables that we saw as soon as we signed the release forms.

Right from the very beginning, we were impressed by the professionalism demonstrated by the staff. They had offered a free transportation service there and back that picked us up in a spacious van and drove us straight to the stables. Even though we were about 15 minutes late, the driver was pleasant and welcoming. The staff quickly helped us get fitted with helmets and chaps, and provided a locker to store our belongings in while we went for the 2 hour beach ride. Immediately after we were done and all geared up to go, we turned around and saw our guides, one for each of us, already mounted and our three horses waiting in line for us to mount.
Our guides were all extremely friendly and helpful, making polite and entertaining conversation as well as sharing bits of information about our mounts. On the way to the beach, we passed through a lovely balinese village which officially qualifies as the best way to really see what life in Bali really is. People in the village are extremely friendly and will smile and greet you as you pass. Horses were all pretty much bomb-proof and hardly even batted an eye as the cars and motorcycles zoomed by.

Upon reaching the beach, the 6 of us (3 of us and our 3 guides) split up into pairs. This way, our differing levels of experience would not hinder any of us having the time of our lives at whatever speed we felt comfortable. My guide took me and my mount, Kiko, galloping along the shores of the beach. My two friends have limited experience with horse riding, so naturally it came as such a shock when I turned around only to see both of them trotting and cantering like pros with the leadline still attached to their mount's bridle and held onto by their guides who were teaching them how to trot and canter.

After our ride, the stable hands greeted us and held our horses as we dismounted and took them away where they were untacked and cleaned before being put back into their boxes for lunchtime. We headed to the pool for lunch and a swim, where towels were gladly provided by the front desk and the food was at a reasonable price but terrific quality.

Umalas is a dream come true to me, since I head to Bali so often. The horses they assigned to us were extremely fitting to each of our needs and comfort levels and the guides were very helpful and friendly. Definitely will be back.

6  Thank ccxdq
Reviewed 5 April 2011

This was a great activity for my 6 year old horse crazy daughter whilst in Bali!! She had the 1/2 hour lunge lesson with instructor Swardi. Umalas also conduct rice paddy and beach trail rides. Swardi was a great instructor and although he mde my daughter work quite hard you could see the improvement over the course of the lesson. The horse was very well behaved and in great condition. The stables and horses were very clean and well cared for. The covered indoor stadium was great for the hot day. Lockers were provided as were chaps and hard hat. Guests can also swim in the pool and eat at the restaurant after horse riding - although we did not have time to do this so can't comment on the food. Overall a very positive experience and would return here next time we visit Bali.

2  Thank Daydream40
Reviewed 6 February 2011

When we are on vacations abroad we always test local stables and riding possibilities. This stable wad definitely one of the best. Horses very well kept. Nice infrastructure. Friendly tout guides.

We took the 2h trip to the beach. The tour is nice but we have seen already better places. Takes some time to the beach through standard Bali streets. The beach itself was somehow crowded with tourists but still enough room for some nice cantering.

For horse lovers definitely a good recommendation. Only downside is the high price.

1  Thank poldib
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Just spent 5 nights/6 days at Umalas. Was traveling alone and nervous about what to do, but the owner, Sabine, gave great tips in advance and seamlessly arranged for rides and drivers during the stay.

Resort: Just as beautiful as the pictures. Clean and tidy, well-organized, friendly and helpful staff. Location was great for touring the island--went to Tulamben, Ubud, Nusa Dua, etc. Some flies in the stables and sometimes in the room, but about what you might expect--didn't bother me. The flowers on the bed and the fresh fruit on arrival were welcome touches.

Riding: I did the 2-hour beach ride twice. Scarlet, my horse, and Idris, my guide, were great. Fantastic rides. The guide took lots of pictures and videos and explained some useful Indonesian phrases. I also took 3 1-hour jumping lessons. Swansee and Dharma, my instructors, and Indigo, my horse, we also great. Nice arena, good instruction, and tons of fun gradually raising the bar on the jumps. Very patient, calm, and encouraging instructors. My horses were sensitive and could be naughty at times (an occasional buck) but were very smooth to ride.

Restaurant: I had all my dinners at the hotel restaurant. I usually showed up late and exhausted after a full day sightseeing. The pumpkin/coconut soup and the silver dory were fabulous. Friendly, attentive staff. Beautiful surroundings.

2  Thank d22201