“Beach Ride with my Daughter”

The Umalas Equestrian Resort
Ranked #82 of 166 Outdoor Activities in Kuta
More attraction details
Owner description: Imagine discovering the tropical island of Bali by horseback. At The Umalas Equestrian Resort we can make your dreams come true. German-owned and in operation for more than a decade, meeting the highest international standards.Facilities include 35-horse stables, indoor and outdoor arenas, paddocks, one Suite and four Deluxe Rooms each with en-suite bathrooms & private balconies overlooking the Resort as well as an established restaurant flanked by a generous swimming pool.
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The horses here are certainly very well looked after. The beach ride was brilliant a huge storm came in and we were soaked. Beware if you are not an experienced riders that those horses take off on the way back on the beach if you are not in control.

5  Thank Karen C
There are newer reviews for The Umalas Equestrian Resort

Reviewed 1 January 2012

This is my second time riding here, last time was 5 years ago and this time with my 4 year old daughter. I am very impressed by the professional and friendly team here. The stables and horses are as I would expect in a good European operation, clean, well schooled and clearly very well cared for. I did 4 beach rides and as I was the most experienced rider each time, my guide took me off the standard route a couple of times and I got to see the "real" bali with temples, rice fields and the beach. Safety is paramount so our ability to gallop along the beach depended a little on how busy the beach was, but I appreciated this responsible attitude and still got in a lot of racing with my guide!

My four year old daughter also had a few pony rides round the stables. The guides were lovely, teaching her the basics of riding and even getting her into a little trot. It was her first time on a horse and they built her confidence no end. When she is old enough to have proper lessons we'll be coming back.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank Alice P
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This was a must for me, after 7 years I finally returned to the sadle. My horse was beautiful and well schooled, the guide was amazing. We rode from the Umalas down the beach to Legian. It's nice to ride a horse that you feel wants to be there rather than a have to. As soon as we hit the beach, he started getting exicted. The only proplem was that the paperwork said you are not allowed to overtake your guide and as I was on my own with the guide, and he choose to ride beside me, both horses wanted to race!!!! soooo much fun.
The won't pick up if onlu 1 person, so make sure you leave enough time to get there..traffic is really bad. After the ride you can enjoy a swim in their pool with a nice cold beer!

3  Thank janeyjane_oz
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The brochure is out of date, they no longer take the horses on the beach, we were told that it was 5 years since hores rides had been taken on the beach. Also be aware that there is a maximum weight limit of 86 kgs, this is not stated in their brochure and we did not find this out until after we had booked and they would not give us a refund as one of our party was over the weight limit.

8  Thank derbyshirelass180
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Pulling up into the entrance to the front office, none of us expected the incredibly clean and modern state of the stables that we saw as soon as we signed the release forms.

Right from the very beginning, we were impressed by the professionalism demonstrated by the staff. They had offered a free transportation service there and back that picked us up in a spacious van and drove us straight to the stables. Even though we were about 15 minutes late, the driver was pleasant and welcoming. The staff quickly helped us get fitted with helmets and chaps, and provided a locker to store our belongings in while we went for the 2 hour beach ride. Immediately after we were done and all geared up to go, we turned around and saw our guides, one for each of us, already mounted and our three horses waiting in line for us to mount.
Our guides were all extremely friendly and helpful, making polite and entertaining conversation as well as sharing bits of information about our mounts. On the way to the beach, we passed through a lovely balinese village which officially qualifies as the best way to really see what life in Bali really is. People in the village are extremely friendly and will smile and greet you as you pass. Horses were all pretty much bomb-proof and hardly even batted an eye as the cars and motorcycles zoomed by.

Upon reaching the beach, the 6 of us (3 of us and our 3 guides) split up into pairs. This way, our differing levels of experience would not hinder any of us having the time of our lives at whatever speed we felt comfortable. My guide took me and my mount, Kiko, galloping along the shores of the beach. My two friends have limited experience with horse riding, so naturally it came as such a shock when I turned around only to see both of them trotting and cantering like pros with the leadline still attached to their mount's bridle and held onto by their guides who were teaching them how to trot and canter.

After our ride, the stable hands greeted us and held our horses as we dismounted and took them away where they were untacked and cleaned before being put back into their boxes for lunchtime. We headed to the pool for lunch and a swim, where towels were gladly provided by the front desk and the food was at a reasonable price but terrific quality.

Umalas is a dream come true to me, since I head to Bali so often. The horses they assigned to us were extremely fitting to each of our needs and comfort levels and the guides were very helpful and friendly. Definitely will be back.

6  Thank ccxdq