“Good value, but Internet SUCKS”

100 Sunset Boutique Hotel
Ranked #148 of 252 Hotels in Kuta
Montreal, Canada
“Good value, but Internet SUCKS”
Reviewed 19 December 2010

I stayed two weeks at this hotel as I needed some time to get a few things done in the middle of a trip around the world. This hotel is a good value for the price, but it has a lot of negatives. The main positive is that you get very spacious rooms, especially if you book the family-sized one-bedroom "apartment." There's breakfast included, and it's served buffet-style until 10:30 a.m. There's a decent pool in the hotel, but it's right next to the restaurant area. The staff is pretty responsive and does a good job overall.

Now onto the negatives!

- First, the Internet access SUCKS! It works well (most of the time), but it's incredibly slow. My speed tests showed a maximum speed of around 100K per second, which means loading a 5 minute video will take you 30-60 minutes. I guess this speed is good enough for checking your emails, but for getting anything done, it's very frustrating. Although most of Bali's Internet access is really bad, many hotels have had much better Internet.

- The spa. The hotel advertises a spa, but in reality they can only send a therapist to your room. That means if you want to get a massage you get it on the bed, which doesn't work very well.

- The road. The hotel is located on Sunset Road which is a very busy road. It's also almost impossible to take a walk on this road as there are no sidewalks. So you have to take taxis to get around. Luckily they are easily available and cheap.

- The room. Okay, the room is spacious, but it's also pretty shabby. The furniture is decrepit, and although it's advertised as an "apartment", it comes with a cooking plate but no pot, utensils or any other way to make food (unless you ask for it). There seems to be a problem with the sewer system and sometimes a bad stench comes out of the trap next to the toilet.

- The hotel menu. There's almost nothing healthy on the room service menu, except freshly-made juices.

I really don't see why anyone would want to stay at this hotel unless they needed to be close to downtown for a few days at the end of a trip visiting the rest of Bali. In that case the hotel would be okay. In my case my computer broke down and I had to wait for it to get fixed.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
100SunsetManager, General Manager at 100 Sunset Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2010
Dear FredMango,
Greetings from 100Sunset Boutique Hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences while staying with us on TripAdvisor.

We are really please to read your overall satisfaction towards 100Sunset Boutique Hotel. I’m also glad that my team has been helpful to assist you in the research of your lost camera – you found it back, the pleasure is for us.

I’m sorry to hear your experience towards our internet solution. We actually offer to our guest 512kps dedicated that have to be share among 45 rooms. In order to give to any one the chance to check emails, browse at decent speed, we limit the flow for each computer at 100kps knowing that all will not be connected at the same time. This system effectively doesn’t allow guest to download movies.

Our Spa service is deliver in room. As you might have seen Sunset road is a SPA road, there are approximately 20 salons on the street, reason why the hotel has not been build with the facilities. While making the opening of 100Sunset, I added Therapists and choose in room massage system to give similar feeling as in Villa and get closer to a boutique Hotel atmosphere, I’m sorry that it didn’t fit your expectation.

Sunset Road is effectively a busy one. 3 years ago, rice fields surrounded 70% of the road. The development has been amazing the past 2 years. Bali Government start to be concern on the security in this area and few project are on progress, we all hope that it will help. We are still an answer to avoid Bali traffic Jam, noisy Kuta and offer an easily access to all Bali attractions.

Our room is set without cooking utensils, which are on demand for some security reasons. I have been please while meeting you in your apartment to see that that you have been cooking some fresh and healthy foods. We will for the next menu insert some more healthy choices.

Warm regards from Bali,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We stayed for 2 nights in December 2010, average rooms, value for money. Food poor, triple charged us for the room after booking through expedia. Bathrooms smelly and moldy! Staff nice but

• Stayed December 2010
Pecatu, Indonesia
Reviewed 26 November 2010

First of all, I booked a Honeymoon package on this hotel six months in advance. The reviews that my husband and I had read on Trip Advisor were good, we decided to spend our honeymoon there, after we just came back from staying at Ayana Resort & Spa, where we had our wedding.

Obviously the hotel couldn't be compared with Ayana, but we found the service, cleanliness and value to be less than what the hotel charged us for.

When we got there, we didn't get the room that we booked (6 months in advance!), instead of a Deluxe Room, they put us in a Twin Bed room. It was such a joke - we wanted a nice honeymoon in a nice Deluxe Room; instead we had to sleep in separate beds!!!

The hotel staff themselves were not very friendly - I don't think it is asking very much from a hotel staff to maintain eye contact and smile when they are working at the front desk. It was quite frustrating to see unfriendly people when we first arrived there, and they were very unacommodating, a bit ignorant with a 'take-it-or-leave-it' attitude.

They tried to compensate by upgrading our room to a Suite room on the next day, which was right along the pool. The hotel staff decorated the room with swan-shaped towels and a heart-shaped chocolate cake. We felt better upon seeing such effort in trying to make our stay more pleasant. The room itself was nice, but after a close inspection we found that the pillow cases were torn, there were stains on the bedsheets, and worst of all there were evident signs of blood stains on the towels. Any hotels shouldn't be using towels that are already soiled!!!!

The breakfast menu was medicore - and the buffet line was confusing. People were not lining up in order and the hotel staff didn't bother to organise it more properly, resulting in people cutting lines and the lack of space of the eating area didn't really make it a comfortable place to eat.

The bathroom smelt unpleasant, and there were visible spiderwebs in the corners. I wondered if the housekeeping department actually cleaned the bathroom properly - if I could see them, then why couldn't they?

On our second night there, staying at the Suite room turned into a living hell because the guests across our room were extremely noisy; they were laughing, screaming, talking at 3 am and the hotel staff didn't do anything, despite the no-noise policy after 10 pm.

We booked to stay at there for 5 nights but since it was such a terrible experience staying there, we decided to check our earlier. But the hotel staff told us that it would cost us a one-night stay fine for us to do that.

I complained right away to the supervisor (right after I found the blood stains on the towels and the torn pillowcases in the evening), and I insisted on checking out and refused to pay anything because I felt so cheated by the whole unpleasant experience. The hotel management sent fruit platter to our room as a way of apologizing but still, it wasn't enough to convince us to keep staying there.

My husband had to ring hotels after hotels until 2 am in the morning because we were so desperate to get out of there. We finally decided to move to Ubud in search for peace and quiet.

Upon checking out the General Manager approached us and tried to convince us to come back as well as promised as that we would get better services.

But it already left a bitter taste in what was supposed to be a nice holiday/honeymoon in Bali. We will never, ever come back and we do not recommend this hotel to anyone unless you can bear the noise, the terrible service and the lack of cleanliness that we found in 100 Sunset.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank whufwhuf
100SunsetManager, General Manager at 100 Sunset Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2011
Selamat Whufwhuf,

Thanks for sharing your concerns regarding your experience in the hotel.

We do remember your stay and i remember having a discussion with you in the lobby.
You booked 3 rooms under the same name, your friends checked in the previous days and you on Sunday. For some reason your reservation, as unfortunately been not input in our system cause the team though it was a mistake (double booking), and we made a mistake. My sales manager welcomed you, apologized and arranged your reservation and stay. I deeply apologize for this.

At the time of your check in your friend wanted to extend their stay but unfortunately for him we were full. You proposed to your friend to share the room with you, and so my sales manager arranged for you a Twin Room, large enough for your friend to sleep in with you and husband - as compensation we arrange free additional extra bed. The next day we moved you to a suite room as initially planed - and made a free upgrade. We accommodate and try to arrange as much as possible for your friend instead of upgrading you the first night as planned.
I discuss upon your check out with you and i understood your unhappiness towards the bed sheet and noise facts that since we fixed.

We didn't charged your last night (cancelation fee) and I proposed you to try us one more night for free on your way back, things that were for us compensation.

We had the feeling that from a mistake we tried our best with your acknowledgement to help and accommodate your friend for free that was in need and offered you upgrade and compensation.

Terimakasih for choosing to stay with us and i hope that you would reconsider to stay with us again.

Warm regards,
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 17 November 2010

The 100 Sunset Boutique Hotel is an excellent hotel. It has a nice pool and breakfast is good. Obviously there is not the choice there is at the large hotel chains but there was more than enough to satisfy me. The only downside is that the hotel is located a bit out of town but it does provide a free shuttle which gets you in to Kuta.

The room I had was really good, very spacious and and came with free wifi. Just like the room, the whole hotel has a quite trendy feel to it. Basically this is a cool hotel! The staff were friendly and very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
100SunsetManager, Manager at 100 Sunset Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2010
Dear Speedy,
Greetings from 100Sunset Boutique Hotel.

We are really please to read your satisfaction towards 100Sunset Boutique Hotel. Be ensure that I will share with my team your comments.

Following your note on our breakfast, we managed to offer our guests a large selection that might fit Asian and Western taste. With only 45 rooms it’s quite a challenge to increase the variety as big hotel can do, but still we try our best to be Original with items such as the fresh Honey Comb; Fresh and Local, with the daily Asian soup; and give a Western touch with the popular egg station and the bakery. We are working on news items and food rotation that might offer more pleasure to our guests.

Paris
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I have really enjoyed the night in the hotel with breakfast included. I have been upgraded from a delux room to a suite after having a nice cool welcome drink. The suite was large, well equipped and clean.
The staff was very friendly and helpful (even organized transport to north of Bali for me).
The hotel is not located at the beach. However, transport is cheap and you can reach everything by taxi very quickly.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
100SunsetManager, General Manager at 100 Sunset Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2010
Dear Alfdag,
Greetings from 100Sunset Boutique Hotel.

I am glad to see that you appreciate the upgrade – When we can, we do...and this time was for you - your satisfaction is our pleasure.

We hope to welcome you soon in 100Sunset Boutique Hotel,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in a 2 bedroom suite for 4 nights, the rooms are large, well fitted out and clean, aircon was quiet and more than adequate, the staff friendly and helpful and great with the kids, the included breakfast was good with plenty of variety.

The location is the only drawback as nothing is really within walking distrance (well with 2 young kids in tow) but thats not really an issue as they has a free shuttle to kuta or a taxi is less than 10000 rupiah, the pool is nice enough for a swim to cool off but is not the sort of place you could sit by and relax away an afternoon.

Overall this is an exellent place to base yourself if you plan on spending most of your time out of the hotel

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Dear Adam,
Greetings from 100Sunset Boutique Hotel.

I’m really please to read your satisfaction towards 100Sunset Boutique Hotel. You are right to say that we are a GOOD BASE - our location is strategic as at the main crossroad of Bali, we help guests to avoid the crowed of Kuta and overall bali traffic.
For your information, Sunset Road start to offer some good attractions (Bali Shell Museum), good shops (Raw) and food savories - i'm sure that in the coming month the area will be the place to be.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2010

My mum and I stayed in this hotel last October, we're really happy that we chose this hotel...The service in this hotel is definitely number 1, We're served with nice cold welcome drinks when we got there just before we even checked in. We're greet with smiles from all staffs, we also received free foot massage on top of that. We chose 2 bedroom apartments, were thinking my husband will join us, but when he didn't, we asked to change to the 1 bedroom only, they did it in no time, so we're delighted. Buffet breakfast every morning, you can choose from Asian nasi goreng to continental breakfast plus there's 1 guy will be there each morning to cook or fried your eggs for you.
Love everything bout this hotel, but the location, but again, in bali, most of people will hire a car with the driver anyway to take us around, so, location isn't a big deal for us. So, yes, we would recommend everyone this hotel. Another thing that I found out that this hotel been around for quite some times, but only been taken over by Aston around 6 months ago.

• Stayed October 2010
100SunsetManager, General Manager at 100 Sunset Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2010
Dear Meiry8,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Bali 100Sunset. We are looking forward to have you back.

Warm regards from Bali,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
100 Sunset Hotel Managed by Eagle Eyes
Hotel ZIA Bali – Kuta
Harper Kuta
Harper Kuta
#28 of 252 in Kuta

Been to 100 Sunset Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!