“Never again!”

Ranked #115 of 282 Kuta B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur
“Never again!”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

It was my 3rd trip to Bali, but it was my first stay experience with Kubu Hotel.

On the day of our arrival, it was raining quite heavily. No bellboy or anyone to assist us with our luggages. We have to do it ourselves with the assistance of our drivers.

When i checked into my room, i was very depressed with the size of my room! I suspect Tune Hotel Kuta is only slightly smaller in size, but should be much cleaner! The bathroom was a disaster as i saw a croacroch running around! There is also signs of ceiling leakage in most rooms!

My parents had to check in to a room without hot shower (upper floor) despite my reservation for deluxe rooms, but we managed to changed rooms on the next day. Besides that, my mother also complained that the bedsheet and blanket were yellowish & smelly! Anyway, the house keeping changed for her immediately upon request.

Most of the rooms had the problem of "banjir" in the toilet. The whole bathroom is wet and flooded and my fiance could not take his shower.

My room reservation include one extra bed. It was again very disappointing that the mattress (not a bed, take note) given was half dry, half wet. As mentioned, the room size is limited, to fit in an extra mattress would mean no space to walk! However, i have to say that there was no extra charge to the extra "bed".

The breakfast was another disappointing thing during our stay. The staff were really really slow and blur. The breakfast was very very simple, toasted bread (2 slices), butter and strawberry jam + scramble eggs! I am a very small eater, yet, i didn't feel enough! Some of our servings are un-toasted bread! Just normal bread!

Another thing i wish to mention. On our check out day, it was actually the same day we were supposed to be leaving Bali. Our flights is 10p.m., so we actually requested for conscierge service to look after our baggages after check out, until we actually leave the hotel to catch our flights. The staff were "smart" for implying that they cannot guarantee the safety of our baggages, we can store our baggages at the lobby at our own risk. Hence, we had no choice but to pay more and extend one of the rooms till 6p.m. so that we can have a proper place to store all our luggages!

I made my room reservation directly with the hotel (not through any agents like agoda). I have to say that the email responses were always very very slow, and my queries were always not answered accordingly. I suspect the staff is not very proficient in English.

Overall, this hotel is as good as a no-frill hotel. It does not have kettle, no toiletries for us. We saw a lot of backpackers in the hotel, most of them are Australians. I consider myself quite an extensive travellers and I almost could not accept the poor service delivered by the staff and the hotel as a whole. I believe there are other better places in Kuta for budget stays.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank pollywoon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Indonesian first
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Stayed there 2 weeks a go. We had the room with ac, hot water & tv (don't bother about the tv - local channel only) on the 1st floor for the first night (rp 300k) and it was ok, the next day we moved to room with fan & cold water (rp 175k), on the 3rd floor a little bit warm but we got the balcony. Well, they have good bed & basically the differences only in ac & the water really. And around the hotel there's a bunch of small restaurant or "warung", tattoo shop, & very cheap laundry place.

The staff are very nice & friendly although it's a bit annoying because we have to remind them constantly to make up our room & deliver fresh towel. They only serve one type of breakfast everyday which consist of 2 toasts, buter & jam, a little bit of scramble eggs, a slice of watermelon and a choice of tea or coffee. But you can only order up until 10am.

The location also good it is between poppies 1 and 2, easy to go anywhere but could be a bit difficult to get a cab in or out since the road is insanely narrow. And on the weekends it could be very noisy considering the hotel is quite close with some pubs, but during the day the hotel is quiet and you can relax in the small pool.

Also they can assist to arrange the transportation for you to go to any destinations in Bali which I found very helpfull and you can bargain! I paid rp 60k for airport transfer which I didn't mind to pay because I didn't have to go to legian main road and wait for a cab.

For sure I will coming back to this hotel for my next trip because it is a nice & clean hotel with affordable price & friendly staff .

Room Tip: Room #308 has a great view
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank EarthTraveler2905
Kuta, Indonesia
Reviewed 24 October 2011

oct 2011 : Price = simple room (fan and cold water) = 175 000 rp, and soom with hot water and AC = 300 000 rp.
The simple room is very good.

good place in kuta = beetween poppies lanes 1 & 2.
quiet, and small hotel
it s a new hotel, so clean, good bed, and very nice pool.

employees are nice, and friendly.

so, good place.

very good quality for the price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank arnaudfromParis
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Stayed at the Kubu late September 2011 for one week.

The hotel is small, which is a change from the big hotels and resorts of Bali. The room was a small but good size, there were some marks on the bedding but it was fresh and clean and no bed bugs (bonus!)

The T.V is small and does not receive any english channels - there is no way to get a DVD player hooked up to it so bring plenty of reading material.

Bathroom was a bit below my standards but my boyfriend had no problems with it.

The pool is lovely! The sun hits it for a few hours during the day and it is great to sit and read/swim. Again, it's a small pool but sufficent.

Location - can be a bit tricky to get a cab in/out of it but we liked the location because it was tucked out of the way.

Downsides - it was very noisy some nights. It seems a lot of Indonesian people stay here and they tend to stay awake laughing and talking until all hours of the night and into the morning. They chain smoke and if you aren't a smoker, it's not so nice to have the second hand smoke billowing into your room (ulgh)

Upsides - great on a budget! We are traveling for a long time so saving money is crucial. The staff are really nice and helpful, the rooms are small but clean and tidy and we had no real complaints other than the noise. There are some great, very cheap local Warungs nearby too. Oh and you get free wifi in the rooms!!

If you are looking for a place that is simple, affordable, neat and tidy... this is your place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank littlegreybox

Travellers are raving about these Kuta hotels

Singapore
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I spent my last 3 nights in Bali at this hotel, simply because we were too lazy to search for another. The hotel's outlook was great. Modern, fresh, simple. But i wasn't too satisfied on the interior and service of the place.

There were 3 of us, and we were told that we needed extra bed for the 3rd person. So, we agreed to that and went ahead with the plan. As soon as we arrived in our room (208), i was really very disappointed with the size of the room. Even before the 'extra bed' was being brought in, i could already feel the lack of space in that place. It felt small for 3 people. In fact, too small for 3 big bags and many many shopping bags! The extra bed came 'after' we checked in. Only after about 10 minutes, the guy came with a foldable bed, an oversized comforter and a bed cover. I told him to just put it down and that he doesn't have to make it up for me. When i lay the bed out, the sheets were dirty. There were black spots on it (i don't know from where). The bed, seems to be so 'thin', so thin i could feel the floor, that I had to sleep on my comforter to feel 'comfortable'. Not only that, with the existence of my extra bed, the room suddenly became very small, with limited space to walk. My dad had to step on my bed in order to open the balcony door. I kept asking myself, why allow a 3rd person in a room, if you know it'll be that cramp?

Breakfast was just OK. We didn't have a choice. Everybody supposed to eat the same thing. 2 toasts, scramble eggs (very little), butter/jam and a choice of coffee or tea. There were a few others, i heard, asking whether they could have their eggs cooked a different way. The waitress just replied, NO. So, that leaves not only us, but other people too, with no other choice. We're just eating there because breakfast is included and we just felt the need to make use of it.

I remember telling the guys to make up our room before we left for the day, just to know that nothing was done as soon as we came back. To top that off, our towels wasn't automatically replaced too. It took us 2 days to tell them to do so.

It's not that cheap as compared to other places that i've stayed before in poppies. But now that i know, i think i will think twice coming back to this place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Nice cozy hotel, but room is abit small. Very nice pool. Stayed for a night on the rooms on level one. Very nice

• Stayed September 2011
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Called The Kubu Hotel; In their defense, most of the bed bugs we found were already dead, but when we found one alive, that was enough to get us out of there very quickly. We saw another room and saw them there too. The rooms are 175,000 rps per night with wifi and pool which would of been of good value had there been no bed bugs. I think they fumigated the hotel in the past, which would explain all the dead bed bugs, but we confirm seeing one alive with its belly full of blood (probably ours), eww..Watch out, there seem to be bed bugs at almost every hotel in Kuta.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank genlovestotravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Waringin Homestay
#75 of 282 in Kuta
Secret Garden Inn
Secret Garden Inn
#5 of 282 in Kuta

Been to The Kubu Hotel? Share your experiences!