The Kubu Hotel
Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort(Kuta)
US$162
US$144
US$108
US$192
US$186
Ramayana Resort & Spa(Kuta)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$65
Agoda.com
Taum Resort Bali(Kuta)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$39
US$84
US$70
Agoda.com
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas(Kuta)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$77
Agoda.com
Bali Dynasty Resort Hotel(Kuta)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$110
  • Breakfast included
US$100
US$97
Agoda.com
All reviewsnice poolhot showerair conlegian streetstandard roomgood sizelane
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed in The Kubu Hotel first time in 2011, I think it was very shortly after they opened and it was awesome, so returning to Kuta last week I went straight there. It's obviously 3 years old now, but it's still clean and comfortable, unbeatable location (in the heart of the Poppies Lane district, but far enough from the hustle and bustle to be fairly quiet).

Dropped my stuff, went out for the day. Returned in the evening and discovered I had no towels. After drip-drying I was on my way out again, they promised (and delivered) fresh towels for my return.

Went to bed, woke up at 3am with what at first I thought was a small, round-bottomed cockroach crawling over my chest. It happens, thought nothing of it, flicked it away, only to have another in my neck. Upon inspection there were 3 or 4 of them around the headboard, so I inspected the pillow and found a few more hiding in the pillowcase seems.

Bedbugs!

Bedbugs also happen, not just in dirty hotels - the spread around via luggage.

But these were quite large and there were many, so I figured I was done sleeping in this room for the night. Packed my 1 bag that thankfully was never on the bed, went downstairs and was polite when I said I need another room, there's bedbugs in mine (Room 303 it was).

The staff were apologetic, but apparently not surprised and offered another room, Room 307 - it's in the adjacent block, so we walked over and up the stairs, the guy showed me into the room and I asked him if he would go get my towels from the previous room. While he was away I couldn't get the key out of the unlocked door. He also tried, but failed, so we went on to Room 309.

This room has obviously been abused a bit, but it was close to 4am now so I closed the door and inspected mattress seems and pillow cases hoping to find nothing and getting some sleep. But no, there were many juvenile, tiny, white bedbugs all along the mattress and in the pillow case seems.

At that point I had enough so went back to reception where I asked for a refund. They promptly refunded me and apologised as I stumbled off into the night.

I would go back to The Kubu Hotel if they can sort out their bedbugs problem. The fact that the bugs were sizeable in Room 303 to me indicates the bugs have partied it up there for a while already and I find it hard to believe that nobody has complained about it.

Room Tip: Try the hotel, just check for bedbugs before you settle down and for the love of travel, keep you luggage off the beds.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Eastofwest
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I really like The Kubu Hotel. The staff is super friendly, good location and price, clean rooms and nice pool. Yes, the hotel has it's flaws (like dripping water from the AC in some of the rooms and not much for breakfast) but it's one of the best hotels I've stayed at while traveling through Indonesia on a backpacker's budget. I stayed in total for around 3 weeks. It's about a 10 minute walk to the beach, cheap and good restaurants close by and also very close to the nightlife and shopping on Legian street. I really recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed 3 nights in the Kubu and really enjoyed the place. The staff was very friendly and the location is just great within the night life area and not far from the beach. The pool is not the greatest but good enough to cool down. The room was big enough with a private balcony and ensuite bathroom. Breakfast is included, but do not expect too much, but there is a great warung around the corner serving yummi Nasi Campur all day.

Room Tip: We had a room in 3rd floor westwing, which got lot of sun in the morning heating up the room. Room in the other wings should not have this problem. The ground floor rooms are more expensive, but offering less privacy with everybody can looking from the pool and reception area.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

the best thing about this place is that while you are in the heart of kuta; you can sleep any time of the day or night without any drunkards shoutings or motor bikes making a lot of noise.
rooms are clean and there is a swimming pool too. however the breakfast which is included is just too modest.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We have been in Kuta for an entire week and at this place we were extremely comfy all the time.
The Girls at the reception are lovely and the room is clean and very Fresh with the AC. The toilette the same!.
The pool was the Best part, and at night that zone is very quiet but you can go walking to the Main street and it takes less tan 5 minutes.

The breakfast is a bit poor but enough, and the old marriage that do the laundry in front of the hotel are even better, lovely people in Kuta, no doubt.

I will come back to this place!.

• Stayed: February 2014