“No sleep, sad sad sad”

Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta
Ranked #59 of 252 Hotels in Kuta
“No sleep, sad sad sad”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Apart from the comfy bed and pillows, this place rocked with kids and parents egging them on only to be awoken at 7:30am by the screaming echos!! Complained once, and the noise was gone as the families had checked out, only to be awoken with the same echo and screaming sounds from a new family that arrived. I missed breakfast 2 times as I had to wait for a table, breakfast was a fly haven. We will NOT be returning and I hope other reviewers with kids understand this is not their fault, just the way the building was built. Staff on the other hand are welcoming which is the normal in Bali. Our sheets were changed by request but only to find food stains on them. On our last day the pool turned from Blue to Green, I wonder why!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank baliloverA
SunIslandhotelkuta, General Manager at Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear bali lover A,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta!

I trust this message finds you and your family well. I am disheartened to learn that you did not experience a relaxing stay with us. Last month was indeed our high season for domestic guests who usually came with children for the Eid holidays. I am sorry that this should have disturbed your sleep in the morning. As our swimming pool is the center of attraction in our hotel, it was also normal that during that period more guests would spend time in it. This was also one of the factors that influenced the change of color in our pool. As our standard, we regularly treat the pool water with chlorine. However, due to the significantly higher frequency of guests using the pool at that time, it took more time for us to be able to get the water to clear up. I was surprised by your note with regard to the stained sheets, as this definitely wasn't our standard. However, I have brought this to the Housekeeping department as a reminder. On a different note, thank you for complimenting our comfortable beds and our staff. Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention, as I always believe feedback from a guest is an opportunity for us to improve our service & facilities. Even though you stated that you will not return to stay with us, I am hoping that you will plan another getaway in the magical island of Bali in the future.

Ismullah, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

First I booked pool access room on ground floor but it's noisy from the bar, music is very loud at night so I asked the staff to move to the fifth floor and I feel better though I can still hear loud music. This hotel is a mid-range hotel in the middle of shopping restaurants and bars and located ten minutes from airport.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank alisra007
Dear alisra007,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta!

Thank you for posting a review of your stay in July. I truly appreciate your feedback regarding the noise from the entertainment. Please rest assured that our guests' comfort is of utmost importance for us, and we will do our best to ensure that our guests have a relaxing stay. On a different note, thank you for complimenting our location and our service. My team and I are looking forward to your next stay.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Arrived on Friday night, 11th of july, staff were very helpful. The room was nice and clean , overlooking the pool. However, that's were the good stuff ended. Was woken at 7am by the music in the restaurant area, it is far to loud. Went down for breakfast which was ok. The pool area gets very little sun so spent the day down the beach. We went out Saturday night for a meal and came back at approx midnight and then went to bed. Then at about 230am I was awoken by commentary for the 3rd and 4th playoff on the telly. Now I am a big football fan but wasn't interested in this game but that didn't matter, I was lying in bed listening to the commentary, word for word. I was hoping just to fall asleep but after 20 minutes I was pretty fed up and went on the balcony. Now, not only was I shocked that it was so loud, there was only 1 ( one ) person watching the game, now I was fuming. I rang down to reception and politely asked them to turn it down which to there credit they did. I ten tossed and turned a bit but finally nodded off only to be woken by yes you guessed it , the music from breakfast at 7am sharp. I started to get used to the noise and started dozing when at 8am on the dot kids entered the pool and started slam dunking on the baskerball ring in the pool, the final straw for me. I jumped out of bed and went next door to the discovery and booked our last night there. The staff were extremely polite when I told them why we were moving and offered us another room but as the world cup final was on that night I knew it would be worse. The discovery was fantastic.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul B
SunIslandhotelkuta, General Manager at Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Paul B,

Warmest greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta!

I hope this message finds you well. I am saddened to hear that you had to check out early from our hotel due to the music from our restaurant. However late we were to rectify the situation, I assure you that our guests' comfort is our utmost concern and therefore we will do the best we can to accommodate different guests' needs. I am sorry that you had troubled sleep during your stay with us due to the World Cup program and our breakfast time music. As the World Cup had recently passed, what we have regularly in the restaurant is the evening entertainment that ends at 10:00 pm daily, of which we have also recently adjusted the volume to a moderate level. Our breakfast music is especially selected to suit the occasion and time of day as not to disturb guests who may still be sleeping. Despite what had happened, I am hoping that you still had a pleasant vacation in Bali and will plan another getaway in the island in the future.

Have a magical day!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Pros: Location is excellent and staff friendly but be more considerate for disable people.
Cons:Breakfast needs varieties, pool water needs to check because it's stink the eyes and hotel needs some renovations.
My family stayed in this hotel for 10 days and we booked 2 rooms. 1 for my wife and daughter and the 1 for my disable son and I. I hope the front desk be more considerate because after a long flight my disable son wanted to sleep. I know the hotel policy is 2 pm check in but if the room was ready before 2 pm then it was not harm to let us check in an hour or so earlier. My son had to cried so loud and everybody was staring at us in the lobby then the staff finally allowed us to check in a bit earlier.
Overall our stayed was good and we enjoyed our holiday. Front desk staff was polite and friendly but need more knowledge of where to go in Bali. The packed breakfast was a very good idea for customers to catch an early flight especially family with young and disable children. Keep up the good work. We will come back next time.

Room Tip: Please select the rooms away from the bar area because at night the live band is a bit noisy. I fou...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Francis S
Dear Francis S,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta! Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel recently and posting a review on us. I’d like to express my sympathy to you for sharing your heartfelt concern with regard to your son. I will make sure that my team will be more aware of guests with special need. Thank you for your feedback in regard to our breakfast options and pool water; we’ll do our best to accommodate our guests’ tastes and preferences. I appreciate your kind word on our staff. Your wife’s feedback on the music in our bar has been followed up. We have adjusted the volume to a more moderate level. Thank you again for reviewing us. My team and I will be looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel, hopefully in not-too-distant future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I am well aware there is considerably cheap accommodation in bali, however I opted to save up really hard and pay extra to stay here in hope of having a decent stay. What a waste of hard earned money that was!

I have been to bali before and the hotels I have stayed in have always been amazing.... This one however is not.

I had terrible jet lag after flying in from London and being awake for in excess of 38 hours and changing time zones. As such I placed the "do not disturb" sign on my door to try and rectify my sleep patterns, well what a waste that was. Cleaners completely ignored the sign and knocked anyway, waking me up. One even walked in, waking me up with such a horrible scare to find some random man in my room!!!! No apology he just ran off!!

The cleanliness of the room is to be seriously questioned! It is 'surface' cleaned only, however upon looking closely, most things are dirty.

My sheets and towels were stained and rarely changed. My bath mat was only changed once throughout my whole stay.

Flowers in the room on arrival were still there when I left nearly 2 weeks later, completely dead and falling to pieces.

The room is dimly lit, probably to try and hide the cleaning. There is no main light, just various lamps around the room.

The balcony has no table so if you wanted to eat or have drinks out there it makes it difficult.

Room service food took forever to arrive, was over priced, small servings and my chicken was so badly over cooked I couldn't even cut through it. It went in the bin pretty much uneaten.

I was also advised by the staff member who delivered my food, he would "be right back with my change" .... After waiting over 2 hours I phoned reception querying where my change was and it eventually appeared. Obviously I would never have received it if I had not followed up.

My kettle didn't work, I had to hold the button down the whole time as it wouldn't stay on.

The cleaners removed one of the spoons halfway through my stay so I only had one tea spoon for two cups.

For a double room, you are only provided one tea bag?

The wifi only works in certain places. It also disconnects when you lock your phone, so you have to leave your phone unlocked the entire time if you want messages etc. to come through.

The wifi also only lasts for 2 days, meaning endless trips to reception for new codes every time it runs out. If you are staying for an extended period this becomes annoying.

Breakfast is rubbish. The tea is cold. "Hot food" consists of french toast and pancakes both of which are freezing cold within 5 minutes of being put out. There is very little selection to pick from and all in all, the food is bland and boring. I went down twice in the two weeks I was there and gave up.

There is loud speaker announcements day and night. These are extremely loud and vary from going off once an hour or so to every few minutes. Who knows what they are for, but it disrupts any kind of peace in your room.

My personal things were moved and what appeared to have been gone through by cleaners. Clothes were on the floor instead of in my suitcase and my backpack was unzipped and items moved.

There is a smell of sewerage in various areas at the hotel.

The drain within my bathroom shower stank. Despite the room being cleaned, this smell did not ease.

The light in the wardrobe did not turn off when the doors were closed as it should and there was a continuous glow throughout the night.

Walls are paper thin. I was at the very back of the hotel and heard endless cars and revving of motorbikes ALL night long. I could also hear people in the restaurant at the very front of the hotel. There was clattering of plates, people chatting and loud music and/or tv's going at all hours. Be prepared for a severe lack of sleep.

There were various blackouts in the last few days of my stay, none extensive, however electricity would cut in and out.

Considering how hard I worked to save up for this trip, I am seriously disappointed. What a massive waste of money. Will never stay here again and highly recommend no one else does either.

Management needs to take a serious look at the several issues at this hotel.

People work hard to pay for their holidays, I worked 3 jobs to get here and it was just money down the drain.

The only pros for this hotel are staff are friendly and helpful and as I had a very late flight, they did provide a refresher room for an hour to allow me to shower and change prior to my flight.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank fluceb
SunIslandhotelkuta, General Manager at Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear fluceb,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta!

Thank you for posting such an extensive review on your recent stay in our hotel. As much as I am disheartened to know that you were seriously unhappy during your stay, I am also surprised that you did not report any of the unpleasant incidents to our Front Desk as I believe some of the problems in the room you listed could have been resolved quite easily while you were staying. Our guests are welcome to call our Reception to request for kettle replacement or any in-room facility when it is not working. Room amenities are also refreshed daily as per our standard, of course when a DND sign is not put up. All of our housekeeping staffs have gone through extensive training, including honoring guests who put up a DND sign on their doors. We will return to refresh them when there is request from the guest. To comply with our high standard, we will change any stained linen and towels immediately. Therefore, I was alarmed by your review that stated otherwise. I am also surprised to read that your bag had been unzipped and your clothes moved to the floor by someone you suspected to be one of our staff. A serious issue as it was, you should have reported it to us to allow us to investigate immediately. In response to your comment about our lighting, I can explain to you that our lighting has dimmer to adjust to guests’ liking, and is designed as such to present relaxing ambiance for our guests, not to hide any dust from the cleaning as you suspected. I appreciate your feedback in regards to our room service and breakfast. Our FB Team has been notified to ensure that we pay extra attention to small details as to give satisfying dining experience to our guests. I am sorry about the noise you heard from the neighboring hotel’s parking lot’s speakers and other guests’ rooms. I take your comment as one of references to better improve us. I also appreciate your feedback in regards to our secured Wi-Fi connection; rest assured that we keep making improvement as internet demand from our guests is growing. By the time I am writing the response, my Engineering team has done checking on the shower drainage in the room and sewerage in public areas. It is very important for us to make our guests’ stay a relaxing and pleasant experience. Thank you for complimenting my staff. As you pointed out, we are always happy to assist our guests; therefore I am sorry that you left our hotel in such an unpleasant note without giving us a chance to offer solutions. Even so, I am hoping that you did have a wonderful time in Bali and will plan another getaway in the magical island.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Wonderful staff. Good breakfast and coffee. Comfy beds. Clean. However, they start pumping out loud dance music from a DJ booth around the pool at 4pm. Most rooms face the pool so you cannot escape the base! It is so loud that my own music through earphones did not drown it out! We asked reception to turn down the volume, which they did but the soundproofing in the room is do poor it made little difference.

Furthermore, at night the restaurant has a loud band until 10pm. We asked to change rooms to escape the noise, the hotel tried to accommodate us but all rooms are just as bad.

In the mornings, you can hear every conversation nearby, every door opening and closing. Do not stay here to relax.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emtay6374
Dear Emtay6374,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel Kuta!

Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay in our hotel. I am saddened to know that you had a much less satisfying experience that I wish could have been resolved before you checked out. Your feedback in regards to the noise from the DJ booth has been followed up by making necessary adjustments as not to disturb guests who wish to rest. We also have moderated the volume of our daily evening entertainment in our bar. We are aware that even though we are located in a vibrant Kuta area, some guests wish to spend a quieter evening. Thank you for complimenting our staff, breakfast, and beds. While these areas excel, we will keep improving on the others that you found less. In that light, I am hoping that you will consider staying with us again in the future. We’ll look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel's location is great. Walking distance to everything.
Rooms are clean and have comfirtable beds.
Found staff to be very helpful and friendly. Everytime I passed the front desk area I was greeted with a smile. Need to work on breakfast - pretty average.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Ankit P,

Greetings from lively side of Bali!

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sun Island Hotel Kuta recently, and I truly appreciate your review on us. I am delighted to learn that you had an amazing time with us. Thanks for your feedback regarding our breakfast; without question, every guest’s feedback is important to give the best experience for our guests. I am hoping that you will plan another Bali getaway with us, hopefully, in the not too distant future.

Ismullah, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Adhi Jaya Hotel
#85 of 252 in Kuta
Bali Rani Hotel
Bali Rani Hotel
#90 of 252 in Kuta

Been to Sun Island Hotel & Spa Kuta? Share your experiences!