“cheap stay for a day or two”

Coco Guesthouse & Bungalows
Ranked #24 of 282 Kuta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Booked via Hostelworld and paid not more than we were supposed to.

Dont get tricked by the taxi drivers. They try to bring you to the end of Mataram Street and tell you it's not far, but it's more than 1km! We had to walk the whole lot with all our luggage.

Arriving at the Hotel we had a free welcome drink (orange juice) and got our keys for one of the small rooms in the back of the restaurant, not in the nice bungalows next street (although you can use all the facilities incl. swimming pool there, too).

The room smelled funny, no windows, but clean and airconditioned and very simple hot shower. Enough to just store your luggage safely, rent a motorbike and discover the south of Bali. Dont expect too much, it's nothing for picky people.

You can choose from either american, continental or balinese breakfast with juice or fruit and coffee or tea. The staff is helpful.

Biggest Plus: it's near Kuta center, food and shops along the street are very cheap, as there are lesser Tourists.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed here twice in September 2012, once for 5 nights and then again for 1 night at the end of my trip before flying home from Denpasar. The staff were always friendly and helpful (and the reception is manned 24 hours) and whilst the guesthouse rooms won't be appearing in any glamour magazines, the two that I stayed in were clean and comfortable, and kitted out with a fridge/aircon/TV/hot shower.
For a budget option you can't go wrong really - it IS a little further from Kuta's main hub of activity but if you don't mind the extra 5-10 minute walk it's nice to actually be a little further from the noise when it comes to sleepy time!
All in all I was happy with my stay and would gladly return a third time.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We only stayed 1 night on our way home, but our room was excellent,V friendly staff & owner and even made us Breakfast at 5.30 am so we could leave for the Airport which is only a 20 min Taxi ride away

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Arrived here only for one night as I was transferring to the islands so it seemed a good base. Yes the rooms are cheap and clean but on arrival the staff were rude and unpleasant. They expected me to go on a motorbike with a large backpack and 2 other bags with me to the rooms which was not only impossible but totally unrealistic so we ended up walking to the room which wasnt too far up the road but the attitude of the staff at that time was pretty shocking. This also came down to payment for the room as she made a mistake and then got nasty with me about it, just embarrassing! I cannot think why anyone would want to stay here and would not recommend this at all, this is due to location and in particular the attitude of the staff in charge upon arrival.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank EvieSingapore
cocoreservations, Owner at Coco Guesthouse & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

I am sorry you felt you had a unpleasant stay with us but I am sure my staff did not intentionally be rude or unpleasant as going by our reviews on this and other web sites they seem to be very popular and our guests seem to enjoy interacting with them as they go that extra bit to make the guests happy and really want them to enjoy the stay with us, maybe a cultural difference caused you to think they were being rude as I know sometimes even when dealing with me I think as you did but as I discovered it is just their way and normal in Bali ?,
As for expecting you to get on a m bike with large bags my staff would have offered if you wanted to hop on the bike or if you preferred to walk as that is the way they transfer the guests bags to the room so the guest does not have to carry the bags and they can just stroll to the room 75 metres up the rd. or have a bit of fun jumping on the bike, for some guests they enjoy the experience sometimes the first time they have been on a m bike and next day they end up renting a scooter for the fun and freedom they have just discovered.
If my staff made an error with the bill I apologise but I am sure it was rectified straight away after all they are only human and make mistakes like any other.
I remember talking to you in the morning while you waited on your shuttle to the ferry and I asked you if all was ok for you and you told me all was fine, maybe as you hurt your ankle
that morning has made you feel a bit negative about your time with us but I am sure as you spoke to me you could have raised your concerns then so I could have looked into your complaints and then given you answers there and then, not wait to do it invisible behind a computer screen
I hope you enjoyed your trip to the islands and all was to your satisfaction.
Best regards.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

My friend and I stayed for 8 nights and had a wonderful time in Warung Coco 4, which is located in Jalan Majapahit. When we arrived past midnight in Jalan Mataram, where the main Warung Coco was located, we were brought to a different location In one of the alleys in Jalan Mataram. It was like an old Balinese house with 2 rooms and a common kitchen. It had a good bedroom, strong wifi but the toilet emites an awful smell. We asked if we could be transferred to a different room and the owner, Ibu Ketut, graciously accommodated our request. We were moved to Jalan Majapahit, which had a great villa and nice surroundings. The room was just perfect. Although a lot of mosquitoes. We had to go back to Jalan Mataram, Warung Coco 1, to have our breakfast. For the first 2 nights, the staff chauffered us via motorcycles to get back to Jalan Majapahit, which is like 5 minutes away. We rented a car, Suzuki Jimny, for only Rp.100,000 per day and was able to get around we no hassles.

We had a wonderful time in Warung Coco and we will book there again when I go back to Bali next year. Thank you Ibu Ketut and to your staff for such a great and awesome Lebaran break! More power and God bless!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I stayed during high season there which I had no idea whether the service would be so terrible because of the tired staffs or anything. I booked three rooms and stayed four nights. The room was not so bad itself, just the hot water rarely ran and quite noisy at night which I can understand because it is near the beach around 15 mins walk with bunch of night clubs.
Things I can't take are, I asked for extra bed and the staff promised me bed with bed sheet and bed cover, and what I got was bed with bed sheet only for the rest of my stay.
Second, the staff is extremely rude. In this case, I wanted to explain about the breakfast which I had there, they put the charge in my bill for extra breakfast because there was another local guest which were also having breakfast and it was humiliating because I had to explain it in front of some guests which were looking at me like I was not going to pay. We kept counting for a while about breakfast I had with my family until they finally found out that another local tourist was not part of my family. I was really offended, because they didn't ask in the first place and called when I was leaving like i was going to eat and run!
Third day on my stay before I checked out the next day, one of the staff riding a motorcycle shouted at me on the street and asked me to pay for the charge of using the extra bed. This was really pissing me off! Couldn't you just come, knock at my room and ask? I still had one more day staying and I had paid for the room in advance, full amount of the charge!
The worst was when without any information, they changed the latest breakfast time to an hour earlier. When I walked in, one of the staff said, breakfast was over and obviously I wanted explanation. She said she had already made an announcement with flyers in each room, which was not true, because there was nothing in my room and she also said that she made several phone calls, which was absolutely not because I didn't received any missed calls! Until she finally said that she thought I would have known and making more stupid excuses like she had been very busy which were absolutely not my concern because I paid and I deserved what I had paid for! Until some foreigners which were also the guest of this hotel walked in and the waiter didn't say anything but served them with smile and asked whether they would like to have the same menu for breakfast like they had yesterday.
The service is the worst you can get, the rest are okay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Eddie L
KetutErna, Owner at Coco Guesthouse & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Sir, with respect i will respond and put fact to your review of your stay with us.
1, you booked 3 double rooms = maximum 6 adults, you arrived at check in with your party which totalled 9 Adults, 3 Teenage children, plus one employee = your driver, as you were well over the allotment of your booking you had to request extra beds to which we provided at the normal rate of our accomodation, you were given extra bed covers as you requested at no extra charge, also your employee the car driver as you had not booked accomodation for him and he was going to sleep in the garden my staff set him up in the back office with a matress and bedclothes and let him shower and toilet in the staff area again trying to help
2, The misscommunication about the breakfast times was a simple mixup between the staff as where the staff member who said to you the times have changed for breakfast normally works in our other hotel where the breakfast ends at 9.30 am, but as you are well aware the senior person in your group started banging the table and shouting and very aggresive laungage to the staff member, you will also be aware that i was sitting there and rectified the staff error within 10 seconds so there was no need for your aggresiveness.
3, the staff member did not CHASE you for your bill on the street, they only tried to help you by a simple gesture to say that remember the time for breakfast as it was getting near cut off time and they did not want you to miss getting your breakfast.
4, the staff did not humiliate you about a bill for any other guest than your own group, the error was one of your older teenagers in your party ordered nearly all on the breakfast menu when you are supposed to choose one item from each course not all on the menu and this was explained to her as she ordered but she said ok not a problem, hence the extra charge on your bill, nothing to do with guests not in your group.
5, as our accomodation is western standard toilet and showers etc, you stated you could not use this kind of toilet or shower, so we went to the extra expense of buying water boxes and ladels for your shower needs to which we provided to you free of charge.
6, you said it was noisy from nightclubs, if you read our reviews on the internet you will read our places are the most peacefull and quiet places our guests stayed in on their travels, so i think maybe you have extra sensitive hearing as you can hear a pin drop at night in the garden view where you stayed.
7, the staff went round all the rooms and put a note in saying about the breakfast change time and also spoke to every lead person in every room, maybe your party members forgot to tell you.
8, The comment you make about foreingers walking in and getting preferred service is so childish i wont make any comment about it.
Summary.
All put together one small misscommunication from a staff member to you which was rectified by mysef in less than 10 seconds seems to have you on a revenge trail, but i and my staff always try to help not hinder and try to make our guests as comfortable and problem free as we can.
TIP: for your next trip maybe you should research and source out local standard accomodation as i think you would have a less stressful time.
regards.
Owner,
Warung Coco.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I stay 5 days from Aug 12th to 17th, they are very nice and talktive, especially She is smile always you can lisen her laughing before entering their receiption room.
she asked me why your eyes is so small, i answered her because i saw so many beautiful girls.
i wish to meet them in next year

Room Tip: rooms are very clean