“Great hotel at a great price”

Aquarius Star Hotel
Ranked #10 of 280 Kuta B&B and Inns
Bunbury, Australia
“Great hotel at a great price”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Pro:
The location is great Staff are pleasant and very willing to oblige
The price for what your getting is even better. Don’t be put off when you arrive the reception it’s a little pokie but I guess being on Legian Road space would be expensive but a little walk out back and this new hotel appears as if by magic. The room is surprisingly well laid out and again amazingly well finished, bright and clean
Everything in the room works, power points aren’t hanging off wall as in most hotels here in Bali
Breakfast is at 8am which is unusually but not a big problem and held in a restaurant on Legian Road near the reception
I thought it would be a little noisy what with car fume that wouldn’t help but no it was quite pleasant I think lunch and dinner would be.
A very basic breakfast Nasi Goren, Mee Goren, eggs and fish balls plus all the tea coffee and fruit drinks.
Pool is something to see, clean and well laid out and about 1.2m deep in the middle.
They have free in door wireless and also a internet cafe out front if you don’t have your computer.

Con:
For some blinking reason the Balinese like to lay shiny tiles in the rooms, this hotel is no different, so make sure you have dry feet went you come in from the pool over you will go.
They are also in the bathroom for gawd sake and tiles in the shower recess are like glass pebbles and just as bad, you’d think would be safe place but no these tiles that are just as slippery I had to place a towel down on the shower floor as I could not turn under the shower or try and get in or out without slipping over. If only I could ice skate I’d have no problems J
Wireless constantly drops out, complained, they re-set it, and its fine for about a half an hour but then drops out again, something they need to sort out as it is annoying.

Would/will I stay here again, YES most definitely as now I know the little, such as they are, problems and hopefully so do you J

Room Tip: Very slippery floors
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank DrChip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

We had evening meals here and cocktails and both all meals were lovely. We came back for brekki and was not disappointed, prices are very reasonable and staff are lovely and friendly, definitely go back when back in kuta.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank alysondavies1
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Superb location right in the center close to the beach and the nightlife, I stayed in a studio it was very large and very well furnished, very classy. Breakfast was basic. Staff fulfilled all my requests and did that in style. Excellent value for money in my opinion

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ag_1978
Manila, Phils
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We had some peace and quiet whenever we stayed at the new rooms of this hotel despite its location being in the heart of the bar district of Bali. The pool area and the design of the building with the new rooms was conducive to the relaxing atmosphere. Regular rooms were quite spacious and the bathroom amenities quite good.

The service was good most of the time. I think overall, this hotel was not bad except for the following:

1. Food was terrible.
2. Surrounding area was more of a hit and miss (hits with the decent shops around, miss with some instances of the male locals just hanging around the streets harassing pedestrians with inappropriate remarks or looks)
3. This area in Kuta is not really the most decent place to stay at, Seminyak is a better, safer and decent place to stay in.

Room Tip: Just choose the new rooms by the pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Aquarius Star staff are very friendly. The price for the hotel is reasonable. My friend and I stayed here for 6 nights. I took this trip primarily to relax and forget about the stresses from work. The hotel is near a lot of bars. If you're looking for a nice rooftop bar were they have affordable buffet, this hotel is near Sky Garden. They are expanding the hotel. So the next time I get to Bali, I'm checking in at the new rooms.

Wifi is available at the restaurant area only. You need to buy an adapter coz the sockets are round but there are lots of outlet around the room even at the restaurant. Water bottles and tissue rolls are replenished daily. The room is cleaned everyday. You may even request for change in bedsheet without additional charge. Since I'm looking for a relaxing vacation. This hotel is peaceful and quiet. I always have a good night's sleep. Though this hotel is at the Legian street where the bar district is. The hotel area is quiet. Hotel accomodation includes daily breakfast with a variety of options.

I had a great time during my stay in Aquarius Hotel. I will definitely check in in this hotel again during my next visit and even recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My friend and I were set out to have a week of downtime and this hotel was conducive to our needs. The location is along Legian (leg-yan), walking distance to convenience stores and bars, but it is peaceful and quiet inside, like there's a noise filter. It's also around 15 minutes walk to Kuta beach.

We arrived around 2 AM and checked in early so we can rest. Kadek, one of the receptionists on duty brought us and our luggage to our room. I'd like to put in a good word for his exceptional service. We noticed that the sockets in the rooms need an adaptor and he brought us one which didn't work, but he volunteered to buy one for us. After a few minutes he came back with a new adaptor (Rph 25000/$2.50 approx) with an official receipt, just down the convenience store connected to the hotel. We then charged our electronic gadgets, and were able to sleep peacefully.

The room had a musty old smell, nothing that a few scented candles and scented oil burners can't fix. I mentioned earlier this is our grand vacation so we improvised on the ambience and we had our own soothing music. We also brought our own entertainment (Magic Sing/portable karaoke).

We love the free water everyday and they change the sheets daily.

For a budget-friendly rate, we didn't expect the breakfast to be satisfactory. There are 5 set meals to choose from and since we stayed for 5 days, we were able to try most of it. The staff were exceptionally friendly and accommodating when we asked for hot water ('cause my friend has hot chocolate mix). As for the restaurant and bar, it is the only area with wifi coverage, so no wifi in the rooms but we didn't go there for the wifi, we're there to relax.

To mention a few staff who made our stay pleasant: Kadek (very friendly, he even lent us his lighter for our candles, and we returned it on check out), Wayan who cleaned our rooms and granted our request for an extra blanket, Mare (ma-reh), who also cleaned our rooms and asked us if there's anything we need when we were in the pool. Hardy, who patiently explained the difference between Fruit Lazzy and Fruit Punch when my friend and I hung out at the rooftop bar one night, he also served us breakfast the next day. (I hope I didn't misspell the names)

On our last day, we were able to meet the owner, Mrs Made (ma-deh), and she's very down-to-earth. We talked about the low season and she answered my questions with a smile on her face. She gave me a tour of the new area (see pictures) and I was really impressed because it's like two different worlds from the old and new. The ground floor rooms have this balcony where you can place your bean-bag type sun loungers and all of them have a direct access to the pool.

My friend and I would definitely stay here again and book in the new rooms.

Travel tips: bring an extension cord, candles, burner, spa-like music

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CJ C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have been using this hotel periodically for approximately 12 years. My stays have varied from 1 to 3 times a year. I have found the accommodation to be very comfortable with good facilities. The staff are excellent and very professional and obliging. The restaurant serves extremely good food both local and international.
It is a family business and the Owner family live on site. They are accessible should it be necessary.
The accommodation consists of deluxe rooms as well as Cottages. I consider it an excellent hotel for families.
Attached to the restaurant is an Internet cafe (very cheap) and there is free wifi connection for those travelling with laptops etc.
The hotel is situated in the main part of Kuta and is approximately 10 minutes walk to the beach. The accommodation is some distance from the road and accordingly it is very quiet.
Security is excellent.

Room Tip: There is a various choice of rooms including facilities Fan or Air Conditioning, Fridge, TV, Twin or...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Laurie G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Harper Kuta
#21 of 84 in Legian
Hotel NEO + Kuta Legian
Hotel NEO + Kuta Legian
#15 of 84 in Legian

Been to Aquarius Star Hotel? Share your experiences!