“good hotel with good service but need to renovate and modernize”

Kuta Paradiso Hotel
Ranked #42 of 253 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We had an early bird package 50% off and I thought it was a good deal. We were welcomed by their staff at the airport because of our complimentary airport transfers. He waited eventhough we were so late (due to long immigration queue at the airport). Staffs are welcoming, very hospitable and I honestly did not see anything negative about them.

We were given a room in 3rd floor. And I must say the building looks old, the key is still old-fashioned and sometimes the door is hard to open (you have to slightly force it) I saw the lock from inside was already broken (cracked) but they just fixed it with screws in place and did not replace it. The toilet was okay, shower needs replacement because it looks old and a bit dirty. But considering the size of the bathroom, the toilet was okay. It has bathtub, flush is working well, hairdryer also working fine.

The bed is the best thing about this hotel, i guess. It is so comfortable, not so soft, it felt just right! I had a good night sleep for 3 nights! We had king-size bed just as we requested. There is a balcony and i must say we got the worst view. We were exactly at the top of the cafe and the roof of the cafe blocked our view. Also, unlike other balconies, ours has concrete fence (different from others, which are wooden and has slits) so I could not see any view from until my waist. Anyway, it was too minor for us as we did not care about the hotel view.

The room service was very very good. They clean very neatly and refill all the toiletries. The toiletries include small brush and toothbrush (which are missing in some hotels!). They also turn on the AC every after they clean, so when we arrive there it is a bit cold (good for my husband as he likes the room cold)

Wi-fi connection is not so strong but it is okay for me because I would rather stay offline than connected on the internet! :D

The food is not so great, but it is decent and they do change some of the menu. I liked the omelette so make sure you ask in the staff there to make one for you.

The location is very close to malls, restaurants. Walking distance to Jln Poppies and Jln Legian, where most of the good restaurants are located. Make sure to try the Italian restaurant Al dente (across the hotel). It is so near that I still have the hotel's wifi while I was eating.

Over-all, i think this hotel is good just because I did not encounter anything bad. It was a good experience staying in this hotel. I paid 50% less than the original price which is a good thing! If more expensive than that, I would have expected more from this hotel.

Would I go back? For 50% off, yes!

Room Tip: Choose the room on the first floor or on the side of the hotel, 5tth floor.
2  Thank Jaharra Mae O

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Kuta Paradiso is a beautiful hotel, but be wary! They proudly display 5 stars on their website and on their brand new fountain installed last week, but this is nowhere near a 5-star hotel experience!
To be realistic, this is a 3.5 to 4 star hotel.

Major tip to take into consideration before your trip: Book your room through the hotel website and look for "Earlybirds Deals" or "Last Minute Deals" which gives you 50% off the normal room price and some benefits such as discount for laundry, vouchers for restaurants in the area, drink on arrival, discount for spa, etc...
Booking website such as Expedia will rip you off by charging you full price.

50% off the normal price is the MAXIMUM price I would pay for this hotel to consider the experience being good for the value. If I had paid more or the full price, I would have felt ripped off.

Why is that? Well the full price is the same as any 5-star hotel and Kuta Paradiso clearly isn't one!

We had a Deluxe Pool View Room.
The room was spacious, was equipped with a LG LCD TV of about 32" with loads of channels and a good aircon.
It has a shower and a bath.
The bed is sold as a King-size bed. We booked almost 1 year in advance for our holidays and specifically requested a king-size bed room.
They still gave us a twin-bed room and put the 2 beds next to each others. The bed was comfy but have you ever tried to cuddle with your partner on 2 beds put next to each others? Not ideal!
The shower was impossible to adjust in temperature. It was or too cold or too hot but you couldn't feel any "in-between" change when adjusting the temperature.
The toilet flush wasn't working efficiently and if we weren't careful it would keep flushing 24/7.
The bath plug wasn't working the first night but I called the reception and someone came within 5 minutes and fixed it in 10 minutes. That was efficient.
The room also has a balcony with a table and 2 chairs.
The door has a doorbell and some people one night decided to punch into all of them which broke ours and if we didn't press the "do not disturb" button, it would ring constantly. We mentioned it to reception who sent someone to fix it. It didn't fix anything so we just stuck to the "Do not disturb" button to have a comfortable sleep.

Overall, paying the extra for the pool-view was worth it for the nice view but we could hear kids screaming in the pool as soon as 6AM... Yes, ladies and gentlemen, 6AM! Don't kids and parents sleep on holidays???

The swimming-pool is big on 2 storeys. Decent space to swim, enough sunbeds around the pool. It also has 1 "water-basket" court and 1 "water-volleyball" court and a pool-bar with 4 seats but this is not a swim-in pool-bar. You can still drink and smoke from there though!

The gym is decent but the aircon is getting old and me and my partner never sweated that much in our life. At least we had access to unlimited drinking water from the gym.

We didn't try the spa.

The breakfast is disgusting and completely Asian-oriented. If you don't want noodles for brekkie, stick to cereals and toasts! Do not even try the coffee, just drink juice or water!
The hotel was full of Japanese tourists who were treated like royalty by all staff members when those same staff members didn't bother with us or any other Westerners so I think that's also one of the reason why the breakfast is more designed for them than for Westerners.

The cocktails at the pool bar were good and reasonably priced. So was room service food.

We tried the Japanese restaurant inside Paradiso, my partner loved it. I personally don't like Japanese food so I will keep my opinion for myself on this point.

We didn't try the 3rd restaurant which seemed to be seafood and located on the main street at the front of the hotel. Anyway, who would be crazy enough to eat seafood in Bali? Especially when you see some weird dirty plastic water bottles floating in the seafood tanks and the only smell around that restaurant was sewers!

The staff was OK but nothing near a 5-star hotel. The reception staff was the best. The conversion rate was decent ($1 AUD = IDR10.000) and safer than the money exchange shops from the street.
Restaurant staff was not friendly.

Airport transfers were organised on-time by the hotel, someone waited for us at the airport and someone took us back to the airport on time for our plane. This was also complimentary with the "Early Bird Package".

We organised tours through the hotel. It was overpriced for what it was. Our guide was really friendly and interesting though and clearly deserved his tip.

The location of the hotel is perfect. 2 min walk from Waterbom Park, 5 min walk from Discovery Mall, 2 min walk from Kuta Center and Kuta Square. Plenty of restaurants, bars and other hotels within a 10 min walk radius. Next to street shops, flea market and close to spas/massage places. We used the taxi once in 1 week and that's because it was raining.

Wifi connection is free but the reception was poor from the room and was really slow in any case. Best reception was from the lobby, the pool-bar or our balcony.

Overall experience was really good but as I mentioned earlier, do not pay the full price of the room! It is not worth that much. 50% Off packages will give you good value for your money.
It is an old hotel and it starts being obvious and some good renovations could only do good for Kuta Paradiso.
Once again, do not expect a 5 star experience, it is far from it.
To give you an idea we booked in January so we had the chance of keeping the currency exchange rate from that time and ended up paying only $940 AUD for 7 nights. Would I pay $1880 AUD for the same deal? Heck no!

Would we come back to Kuta Paradiso? Definitely yes if we can still get the 50% packages.
If I have to pay full price, definitely no because for the same price I could go to a real 5 star hotel called Discovery Kartika Plaza.

Room Tip: Definitely book a Pool-View room or an Ocean-View if you can afford it.
3  Thank JeffyZeFrench
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The hotel is located very near the Kuta beach and the rooms are spacious, although a bit old. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. The restaurant gave us 15% discount. My family enjoyed the stay in the hotel and Bali.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This hotel is centrally located in Kuta. The flee market and the main market is easily accessible.
The buffet breakfast is very good. Rooms are airy but not up to the mark. The pool and other facilities are very good.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are very good
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SANJAY27
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is honestly one on the nicest hotels I have stayed in. It is very centrally located in the tourist area of Bali, close to beaches, shopping areas, restaurants, pubs and tourist attractions. The hotel is beautiful, with lush tropical swimming pools, restaurants and all other amenities and services you could wish for. The rooms are very nicely decorated with all facilities. The hotel takes pride in the small touches as well. All guests get a complementary spa treatment and meal at a local restaurant. The breakfast buffet is also amazing - catering to everyone. I really enjoyed staying here and would recommend it to anyone who would like to enjoy a great holiday in Bali.

Room Tip: Try for a sea-view / pool-view room.
3  Thank Greg M
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights and stayed at the deluxe room garden view room. I am on a family vacation and this is the first time for me to stay at this hotel.

The overall stay at this hotel is average. The hotel facilities and service could be better. Some of the staff here are friendly and some of them are not. I am also slightly dissapointed at the hotel room as it is not as good as the photo in the website. The garden view room has a small garden, and doesn't have good view because there are building next door so our view is blocked. Although it is clean and maintained, the room is a little bit old and it would be better to renovate the room. The room furniture could be replaced with better furniture. But the shower is good. The hot water is working, and nothing is broken in the room. The pool is quite big and clean. The room service is average, and the food is quite good also. Breakfast also can be improved as there are not enough varieties of food unlike other 5 stars hotel. But one of the hotel's advantage is the location. It's not far away from the beach. It only took about 5 minutes walk from the hotel to the famous kuta beach. It is also near many restaurants. We can choose the restaurants we want because the are various food there like Chinese food, seafood, and many more.

So, the overall of the hotel is average for me. The facilities, rooms, and service could be improved. But the location of this hotel is quite good as it is near to malls, restaurants, and the famous Kuta beach. I would recommend this hotel as it has good location, and I think they are renovating the hotel when I stayed here.

Room Tip: Choose the deluxe room pool view room to get better view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Janyeremia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

No 1 warning to everyone. Bring along mosquito repellent if you want to stay at this place. Not sure about other hotels, despite shutting the windows, there are still a lot of mosquitoes in the room. I was bitten a dozen times during the stay at this place.

The hotel lobby is really hot and stuffy, they should at least install some fans to cool the place and provide some ventilation. The breakfast area is just as bad, this area is not air-conditioned and it is really warm at this place. Staff at reception looks really grumpy, only friendly staff are the security guards at the entrance.

When passing along the main road, pass by the BCouple restaurant showcasing the delicious look roast piglet. What they are serving is called babi gunning. I made a terrible mistake to try this, it tasted absolutely horrible and cost 125,000 rp and this is not including the 21% tax!! Avoid this place! Across the road, you will have better quality food at seafood outlet, having half a roast duck is at 180,000 rp.

The only plus point of this hotel is the location which is convenient to walk to nearby shopping malls.

Room Tip: short cut to the beach- go through the car park to the left and exit through the street stalls.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family