“Great place if you want to stay in Kuta”
Review of Poppies Bali

Poppies Bali
Ranked #1 of 253 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I can't say enough about Poppies Cottages I (note there is a Poppies Cottages II, which I know nothing about). It is located right in the heart of Kuta on Poppies Lane I, but it is amazing tranquil given the craziness of Kuta. Noise was not an issue at night, or if you want to lounge by the pool during the day. I paid about $95 U.S. per night before taxes, etc.

The grounds of Poppies I are simply amazing. They are covered in manicured, brightly colored flowers and plants. The pool is equally beautiful. The cottages themselves are great, clean, and comfortable. The partially open bathroom was also a nice touch. The only mediocre thing I can say about my cottage was that the drapes and upholstery were a little dated (but now I am just being annoyingly picky). They bring you a complimentary newspaper and tea each morning to enjoy on your cottage front porch. At night, the mosquitoes can be a little pesky on the front porch, but they put out mosquito coils and can't control the bugs (this is a non-issue during the day).

Poppies also does tours where you essentially rent a van and a driver for the day. The tours vary in price depending on how long you are gone, but their prices are very competitive if not cheaper than other places (I checked). Plus, you get your own van and driver instead of sharing it with others.

Be sure to book ahead online, as it was fully the entire time I was there. If, I mean "when," I get back to Bali I will certainly try to book Poppies again if I am looking for a hotel in that same price range. You should book it too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had always wanted to stay at Poppies but being a young couple we couldn't really justify spending that sort of money on accommodation. We decided to treat ourselves this time as we were getting married over there and we are so happy that we did!

The cottages are traditional which really appeals to us & are very spacious. They have everything you need & the pool is beautiful & refreshing ( we tend to find that many of the pools are too warm) but the staff are what makes Poppies so amazing!

We will always stay at Poppies now when we return to Bali!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This is for any families who might be put off staying at Poppies by the previous post. We've stayed at Poppies Cottages three times as the rooms are sized and are one of the few hotels that will accommodate a family of four in one room without paying for an oversized family room. Like all the wonderful Balinese the Poppies staff enjoy children, there's Barong, Doggy Doggy and the cat to play with and the cottages and gardens are all fun and exciting for children. There were many other families there when we have been there and perhaps if it's a child free hotel you need there are hotels like this in Bali. All the other previous comments are valid, Poppies is a magical place to stay and children love it.

Room Tip: If you can get the room with the hidden path and direct access to the pool, sorry I don't rememb...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Ok Kuta is not for everyone, it's brash & loud. Poppies Cottages amazingly feels like it's in Ubud, tucked away & quiet. The rooms are traditional but comfortable. Everyone morning they bring you a flask of hot tea & bananas..so quaint. Breakfast can be ordered. The Staff are kind. Lovely pool. One problem I had was there was a family staying there with two young loud annoying kids. They would dominate the pool shouting & jumping in & destroying the peach & tranquility for the other guests (couples) who want to relax or read. Poppies is not a family resort, it's for quiet guests who want to enjoy & relax on their much-needed vacation. Families please don't be selfish, there are many resorts with full facilities for kids like the Jayakarta hotel, Padm hotel, etc. Perhaps my fault for staying during the Australian school holidays. Leave Poppies for us.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ghdtreb
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We had a room for 4, one QS and one single with a mattress on the floor for a total of five nights, three at the start and returned for two before leaving for home.

I'd stayed at Poppies previously, some years ago, so was interested in another look. Nothing has changed, still superb in all areas, beautiful gardens, tranquil, superb room and facilities, with a semi outdoor bathroom, and a very nice pool area.

It's not cheap, with no included breakfast, at A$130+ a night for the first three nights, but dropped to A$115.00 on our return, with a change of season, but I guess that's OK for a room for four?

Poppies is an oasis in Kuta, and its reputation is reflected in the occupancy, full for each of our stays.

Poppies scores 9.5/10 using my own points system.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Poppies was highly recommended by a friend, so I was looking forward to my two night stay. Although Kuta is dreadful, the Poppies grounds are beautiful and tranquil. The pool is an oasis of calm, and the property is well located. However, my room was awful - located at the corner of the property, it was extremely noisy as it was bordered by two streets with noisy cars and scooters whizzing by at all hours of the night. I asked for a room change but they were fully booked. Pack some earplugs if you intend on getting any sleep! Although noisy, the bungalow was spacious and clean.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, don't take the corner bungalow (I think it's no.26). If it's the only...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah L
SambalSamuiBali, Owner at Poppies Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Thank you for your balanced review. We would just like to correct the Room Tip sentence; it is in fact Room 28 that you stayed in. Room 26 is not disturbed by any noise, and indeed has been recommended in other reviews! Room 28 is the one that can be a bit noisy at night.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I hated Kuta, the city is super busy, taxis keep on harassing you and you fell like a walking wallet as everyone tries to sell you something...

Poppies was the hotel we were staying and I REALLY enjoyed it. The cottages are lovely, lot of space, well isolated you feel like you are somewhere else. The swimming pool is super nice and we had plenty of time to enjoy it, there was never a lot of people and it was really relaxing.

The location is also ideal if you want to be close to the city center and next to the beach (go and enjoy the sunset!)

Finally, the staff was super nice. I forgot something in my room and they directly let me know and kept the item for 5 days. I strongly recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple