“Its Not in Kuta”

Ranked #23 of 252 Hotels in Kuta
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Its Not in Kuta”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

First read, so many great reviews, I thought to booked it for our short visit. The havoc began since the Taxi driver doesn't know the hotel's until I mentioned the location of the hotel in Jalan dewisri. We arrive late everything looks nice from the outside but after checking in it all went to another phase of misery. We checked into a superior room, then we got a smelly bathroom, low level of cleanliness and facing to the wall windows. So after one night sleeping in unacceptable and grumpy room, we decided to do upgrade for a deluxe room facing the pool. It turns out OK but the cleanliness still a mess, our housemaid can do better than this. No wonder when we look in some of the are of the hotel, the cleanliness wasn't there ; dirty lobby, pool and other areas surround.

The staff was OK, the hotel atmosphere didn't felt like in Bali, nothing famous on shortwalk, Not disturbing but next door there was a project of a building which add unwanted scenery during our leisure.

Swimming pool was good, but its has not an enough space for the deck, no drinks offered on the deck that made us go back and forth only to get drinks.

Can't really complain too much since it's a cheap hotel. Have to give them credit for trying to inject a bit of coolness in this desolate area in middle of nowhere. Unfortunately nothing on this hotel make us happy.

No 1 in Kuta??? it is not even near Kuta, and I think most of the comments were not real.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Travblue
Fontanahotelbali, Front Office Manager at Fontana Hotel Bali, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Greetings Travblue,

Greetings from Fontana Hotel Bali Bali and thank you for staying with us recently. Following your review, we would like to thank you for your time and energy since our guests' perspective is very important to us and so is your constructive feedback for everyone alike, our team as well as for readers and visitors from all around the world.

Firstly, it is with deep personal regret that you did not particularly enjoy your stay with us. We at Fontana Hotel Bali understand the importance of fulfilling our guest’s expectation and it concerns me greatly that you have departed our resort with a negative impression.

I was most concern to read about your comment in regards to our hotel conditions. Please allow me to take your comments with all its points and use it as learning exercise for our associates to ensure fine tuning is made for the future. Please rest assured that I have personally spoken to department heads responsible for the areas where your valuable feedback highlighted the need for improvement and accordingly they will follow up with our associate in an effort to improve our product and service standard. in regards with the review from others reviewer that we are number 1 in Kuta is actually pure from our guest who get experienced stay with us.

Once again, thank you for sharing your point of view with our readers, I am personally sorry we were not able to please you entirely and my team and I will continue working hard in our efforts to satisfy every Fontana customers so should you decide to give us a second opportunity to make an Fontana first impression, I am confident we would be able to meet your expectations. As usual, please feel free to contact me personally at fom@fontanahotelbali.com, I am always available for any queries and very happy to assist of course.

Thank you for your attention and we look forward to continue bringing more and more guests to Bali, the Island of Gods!

Best Regards,

Eko Wijana
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This was a really great hotel. The staff at this place were absolute gems! Really went above and beyond. The rooms were nice and comfy. The food at portabella cafe is very yummy. Had the Margareta pizza and the deep fried Sicilian rice balls and both were amazing. The caprese salad wasn't great. The breakfast was included and was really good as well. The only downside is the pool area which is a bit small. All in all lovely hotel, lovely staff, lovely food . Will be back

• Stayed January 2014
AndreasLalenoh, General Manager at Fontana Hotel Bali, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Nessyy,

many thanks for your comment on your recent stay at Fontana Hotel Bali managed by Topotels.

I have shared your praise on Portabella Bistro to our beloved Chef Vittorio Negri. You are not the only one who loves the Arrancini style of riceball. He is reviewing the Caprese Salad. We always care for this little thingy.

Please let us know when you are planning to come to Bali and to stay with us. Our website provides special offers.

Nessyy, once more, thank you.

Wantirna South, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We spent our second week in Bali at the Fontana hotel. It is a little out of the way, not really walking distance to the main parts of Legian or Kuta, but cabs are cheap and easy to get so not a huge problem. It is not close to the beach. The hotel was new and very good value for money. Rooms small, but large enough and very clean and comfortable. Staff friendly and front desk very helpful. Restaurant was fantastic as was the coffee shop. Pool was clean and inviting. Would recomend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay out of the hustle and bustle of Kuta and wants a good quality and well price family hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank David G
Dear David G,

a very warm greetings from Fontana Hotel Bali managed by Topotels.

Thank you for choosing Fontana Hotel Bali as your home and for sharing your moments while you were staying with us.

I do hope I can welcome you to Bali at anytime in the future. Our website is always updated, please check for any special offers.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We had a great stay here last week and the staff were first class.
Restaurant especially the pasta is authentic and worth a visit
rooms fine, maybe a little noisy at times
The chef VIttorio Negri, creates great italian cuisine and the cafe, cakes and coffee are a great seduction once patrons find out about them in the little cafe in the hotel
Location is very close to kerobokan, kuta and legion so a great choice if you want to visit all the great restaurants around.
Staff at this quirky little boutique hotel did all they could to make our stay successful
so all I can give here is positive feedback on this place
the only suggestion I would say is that the toaster needs renewing and the cereals at breakfast could be more varied- I am sure customers wouldn't mind paying a little extra but be given just a bit more of a choice.
Congrats fontana and thank you for a really great little hotel and a very happy stay.
The GM Andreas, Chef Negri, and Miss Novi, Ayi, and Darmini did an exceptional job in looking after us

Room Tip: up on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear hercules800,

hosting you at Fontana Hotel Bali managed by Topotels was the most enjoyable moment. Sharing experience from fellow hotelier is priceless.

Your view on cereals selection and the toaster is very valuable. We are working on cereals, but the new toaster with conveyor belt has just arrived. We are unboxing it at the moment and will install this toaster soon.

So, at anytime you come to Bali, hercules800, please do let us know. We may have some surprises for you.

Thank you for your comments.

General Manager.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at the Fontana Hotel for a friend's wedding reception in Bali, so I had the pleasure of enjoying this hotel as a wedding dinner reception site, spa treatment center, restaurant and bakery dining destination during my 3 night stay.

The hotel and rooms are very modern and what you would expect from any top-notch business hotel in the U.S. I was very pleasantly surprised by the value of the excellent accommodations for only US$50/night.

The hotel put on an elegant and private reception for the wedding and we got to enjoy more of the restaurant's Italian food and pastries during the dinner reception. Make sure you check out the bakery and their daily special when they sell off their pastries for half price at closing. Our fellow wedding guests discovered their bakery on the first night and it became a tradition for us to have dessert at the hotel after dinner out on the town. The hotel also offers a full and hearty buffet breakfast for guests, so we were always well fed. I'm vegetarian so I appreciated the selection at the breakfast and the restaurant's willingness to tailor dishes to my diet.

The spa is very high-end and modern and offered a 50% deal for hotel guests so I had an amazing 3-hour treatment for about US$45 in my own private large treatment space instead of a standard massage room. I highly recommend the spa treatments and still regret not booking more treatments during my stay.

The only downside is that the hotel is quite far from any tourist attractions and there is really no where you can walk to as there is no real sidewalk on a busy road. We hired a driver for our trip so this wasn't a problem and taxi and driver prices are low, but note that most guests seemed to have drivers always waiting for them in the lobby for outings.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank KJadeCloud
AndreasLalenoh, General Manager at Fontana Hotel Bali, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear KJadeCloud,

a very warm greetings from Fontana Hotel Bali managed by Topotels.

Thank you so much for your review. It is good to know that you enjoy on every bits.
Location wise, Fontana Hotel Bali actually relatively near to every interested places in Bali. Yes, it is not walking distance. However, we provide shuttle service (dropping off and pick up) to Kuta area. Our Guest Service Agent will be happy to assist you with the arrangements.

The cafe you mentioned is our own Sunny16 Cafe which serves pastries, bakeries, and artisans coffee.

I am looking forward welcoming you back to Fontana Hotel Bali managed by Topotels.

minneapolis
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I had a great stay in the Fontana.

The front desk assisted me with some business services that I needed to take care of even though it was very late.

The room was very nice and the bed comfortable.

The food in the restaurant was great but there were some mosquitos which was annoying.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Cheers mikelboe,

a very warm greetings from Fontana Hotel Bali.

Thank you very much for your appreciation on our services during your stay with us.
In Bali, especially in this time of the year, I completely agree with you that mosquitoes are very annoying.
We have weekly regular fogging to reduce the mosquitoes and applying special powder for this.
I hope the next time you come to Bali, the mosquitoes season has passed.

Again, many thanks for your comments. I am looking forward meeting you when you come back to Fontana Hotel Bali managed by Topotels.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend and thought it was excellent. We arrived at 7.00am and they immediately checked us in even though technically check in doesn't start until much later in the day. The room was small but clean and had everything you would need. The water from the shower did smell a but when you first turned it on but that soon disappeared.

The hotel is a little way away from Kuta beach but the hotel put on a shuttle service or you can pay a few £ for a taxi. We always took a taxi because the timings of the shuttle didn't match our plans and the taxi's are so cheap anyway.

Breakfast wasn't bad with a chef making eggs any style as requested, another making pancakes and waffles, cereals, pastries, sausages etc. We had room service one evening and I had the strawberry tart which was amazing!! I think it was from the coffee shop on the side of the hotel which was really nice.

The hairdryer is a pain and keeps switching off and we had to request that the mini fridge be refilled as it wasn't done automatically but this is my only negative feedback. Everything else was excellent, including the staff.

Incredibly good value for money!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear HannahMumbai,

greetings from Fontana Hotel Bali.

I do appreciate your comments on your recent stay. My sincere apology for inconveniences happened.
We do investigation on why the water was smelly. Our engineering team is doing the checking. And, in regards to the hairdryer which was not working properly, according to SOP, Housekeeping staffs always check the equipments during servicing rooms. This time maybe it was overlooked. I will ensure that Housekeeping team to do tasks as per checklist.

Thank you for your comments, and as any other comments posted on Tripadvisor, we will share it among team.
I am looking forward welcoming you back at Fontana Hotel Bali managed by Topotels.