“Treated like Royalty”

Ranked #12 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
Queensland, Australia
“Treated like Royalty”
Reviewed 6 February 2013

We started off our holiday in Bali by spending 2 nights at the new Sheraton in Kuta on the 23rd and 24th Jan. From the moment we arrived there until the moment we left, we were treated like royalty. Being our first visit to Bali, it was an awesome way to get introduced to the wonderful hospitality and friendly people who live there.

It was great to be welcomed with live traditional music and dancing from where you move up to the check in lobby with a view which is simply stunning overlooking the ocean. It is worth popping into the Sheraton for a drink in the lounge on the same level just to take in that view. Whomever designed that should be given a medal. Being an extended family if 3 kids and 2 adults, we had 2 ocean view rooms which were interconnected by a private entrance. The rooms were well furnished and very comfortable, with views over the garden and out to the ocean. There are still some finishing off details being attended to as far as the new development is concerned which may be of concern to some, however, we looked at the big picture and did not let such minor issues worry us.

The one BIG mistake we made was to eat out the 1st night as the breakfast, lunch and dinner we had in the hotel the next day were all simply mind blowing. Executive Chef Rossano Renzelli has put together such fantastic restaurants, menu's and food offerings that will certainly be hard matched anywhere in the world. The buffet breakfast is a definite must! I had to video the wide assortment on offer with ingenious presentation, excellent service and great flavours and tastes. The oven baked pizza's for lunch are also a definite must as I doubt there are any better in Bali. Once again, for dinner we experienced unsurpassed service, exceptional dining facilities with great views over Kuta beach and the food was once again exceptional. We could tell all the ingredients used in all the meals we had were of the highest quality which combined with the expert touch Rossano has and great care installed resulted in all the dishes we had being truly superb. We were well and truly satisfied by the end of our dinner, but ended up ordering just about one of each dessert as they were INCREDIBLY good and so reasonably priced. It was truly a night we will never forget and I can thoroughly recommend eating at the Sheraton. We will go back to Bali again just for the dining experience at the Sheraton. Rossano - you better be there!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tortugus
Dario_Orsini, General Manager at Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Dear Taurizio,

Thank you very much for your time to share your Sheraton experience with the world of TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to learn that your overall experience with us from the rooms to the Food & Beverage was an enjoyable one. I have shared your feedback with the team who makes this possible and comments like these will encourage them to strive for excellence at all time.

Thank you once again and we hope to welcoming you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Dario Orsini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ungasan, Indonesia
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Dined there with friends, and did not regret our decision. We opted for the buffet instead of a-la menu, and although the appetizer & desserts were well laid out on the buffet tables, the main courses were cooked a-la minute. Refreshing departure from the usual "buffet" concept, ain't it?

I watch my intake, so three slices of Indonesian stir fry lamb was fair to me to say that it was worth it as it was also cooked on generous portion. The Mediterranean Grill Vegetable was the way it was meant to be. But my defense was down all over floor with the heavily chocolate-themed desserts. In fact, I ate more choc-based dessert than the main course :)

Seafood option prepared on the patio outside (next to the street), but I skipped it as well as I could not tear myself away from the choc-themed desserts.

Ambiance was a bit dark on the section we chose (close to window - my fault) and best suited for romantic dinner, with reddish purple accent all over the place. Service was attentive without being too intrusive.

You should come during the sunset and choose the table by the window. I'd sure do that next time around, for the seafood. It's worth experiencing.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 February 2013

This review is written from the standpoint of a business traveler attending a 3-day conference at this hotel.

For leisure travelers, the facilities would certainly be acceptable (tiny pool) although I do not recommend Kuta for a holiday. The hotel is also connected to a mall and from a security standpoint I'm not convinced this offers the best option considering past issues in the area - seemed fairly easy to access the hotel from within the mall after a cursory security checkpoint.

From the perspective of being part of a 60+ group spending each day in the conference centre I would not recommend this hotel.

Airport arrival was messy and we were made to wait 25 minutes outside of the terminal for our car. Despite transportation being coordinated by the hotel, upon arrival there was no help with either the luggage or directions to reception.

The architecture of the hotel is puzzling at best - a warren of half levels and bizarre turns, its lobby is simply underwhelming with a poorly ventilated open air concept which offers no respite from the heat. The bar area is drab and equally uninviting.

At check-in no folios were ready, which added further delay. More worryingly there was a clear breach of basic credit card security when the staff wrote down our card numbers with expiry date and CCV code... not good.

Room is well designed but despite being newly opened the hotel and rooms are already showing signs of aging badly - throughout the stay colleagues were plagued with a lack of hot water or power cuts (good luck trying to use the iron without blowing the fuses), areas had burst pipes and there were visible damages throughout. The room I had overlooked the adjacent mall and a walkway and right in front of a stage which hosted concerts on most nights (they do stop around 11pm).

Food is overall fairly mediocre at both breakfast and in Bene the painfully slow Italian restaurant.

Conference centre is pretty standard with window-less rooms and very random food items at breaks. Adequate for the location if entirely uninspiring.

Check-out was another drawn out affair with one of the managers confirming that writing down CCV codes was against their own regulations....

Overall a decent room didn't make up for service lapses, boring meeting environment and uninteresting food. Very laborious and inefficient property. Avoid.

Room Tip: If you must stay there, ask for Ocean front room - you will overlook traffic but at least may escape...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank apactraveller
Dario_Orsini, General Manager at Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Dear Apactraveller,

We are truly sorry for creating frustration rather than allowing you to focus on your conference. If it is convenient, I would like to reach out to you personally to hear in person more about your unfortunate experience with us as this will assist me and the team to improve ourselves to better serve you and future business travellers.

Please rest assured that all your comments are taken very seriously, and weather hardware or software, each issue is tackled individually to ensure that moving forward these do not happen again.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to hearing back.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2013

My family and stayed here from 16 - 28 Jan 2013 at Ocean Front Room, hotel was really luxurious and beautiful. We were able to watch sunset fron our balcony on a clear day. It was absolutely stunning. Pool was really nice but maybe a little bit small compare to other five stars hotels but the view watching the sunset is to die for.
During our stay we found all staff to be curteous, polite and always great to us when we cross path. Room service was really delicious and reasonly price. Breakfast was expensive $20.00US per person plus 21% service & tax and bacon was abit chewy. The lobby bar was a good place to have a drink and watch a beautiful sunset. Some nights the hotel put on a live band at the lobby which was really great.
Spa was so beautiful and relaxing. Hotel was next door to Beach Walk shopping centre, we watched movies at the complex cost 40000 Rupiah per person On normal seat or Premier club (gold class in Ausrtalia) cost 60000 rupiah. Overall we really enjoyed this hotel and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ThySara
Dear ThySara,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

I am extremely happy to learn that we have created a memorable experience for you and your family and that the new Kuta experience will be high on your travel list from now on! I am sorry about the bacon issue and with our Chef we are working on ensuring that this does not happen again in the future.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to the Sheraton and the Island of Gods, Bali!

Warmest regard,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This hotel should not have been allowed to open in the state it is in - someone at Sheraton has seriously failed in quality control.

I feel terribly sorry for the staff - who are all lovely, professional and helpful - who have to work in overdrive to make guests comfortable despite the dreadfully finished building.

I stayed in January 2013, about 6 weeks after the hotel opened. At that time, almost every surface - walls, ceilings, furniture -were chipped, scratched or covered in paint that wasn't supposed to be there. The ceilings in multiple areas were leaking, the elevator buttons had the wrong numbers on them, and the room balconies were built without drainage so filled up like pools with the wet season rain. Oh-and an entire section of my bathroom ceiling was missing-revealing the ugly insides of the building.

Beware too that this is a hotel and NOT a resort - there are no grounds to speak of and the pool area is small, though nice.

On the upside, the location next to the new beachwalk mall is good and the breakfast buffet has an amazing array of good quality food on offer.

It is criminal that Sheraton has opened this property in the state it is in and is charging top dollar for it.

I chose this property because I thought new would have meant fresh and clean and well finished. Instead, it feels like a run-down property that saw its best days in the mid seventies.

Stay at your own peril.

Room Tip: Until all of the issues are sorted out, choose an alternative hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank RoomReport
StarwoodBali, General Manager at Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort, responded to this review, 2 February 2013
Dear RoomReport,
We are truly sorry that your experience was disappointing and if it is convenient, I would like to reach out to you personally to hear more about your comment and how we can improve ourselves to better serve you. You can reach me directly at Dario (dot)Orsini(at)Sheraton(dot). Please rest assured that our team is working around the clock to rectify some of the hardware issues mentioned by you,
Again our sincere apology and hope we will be able to have a second chance to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort.
Sydney
Reviewed 26 January 2013

A friend and I stayed at Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort for 20-26 January 2013. Note everything was perfect yet, but there are lots of nice touches and the staff work very hard to make it as pleasant as possible.

The room was pleasing (we had an oceanfront suite) and the lack of artwork didn't detract from the ambience for us.Being from Australia, having Australian power outlets in the room alongside the balinese outlets was a nice touch. From our room, it was a long walk around to the lifts and escalators but for most this shouldn't be a worry. There were some minor fit and finish issues with the room (such as ill-fitting lights, grout falling out between tiles, no handles on the desk yet) but these didn't worry us and should be fixed in time.

Breakfast at Feast was always to a high standard with plenty of choice; and we had an enjoyable dinner at Bene.

If you like Kuta/Legian, it would be hard to get a better location, with access to Poppies II (which leads to the famous Legian street) at the back and the beach at the front. For those that don't like the bustle and life of Kuta, the Beachwalk shopping centre is adjacent and taxis are always readily available.

Room Tip: The oceanfront suite we had was large and sunny with a good outlook. It faces west and the balcony i...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Dear WazzaM60,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your Sheraton experience with the world on Trip Advisor.

I am thrilled to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and also glad to hear that you love our food and beverage offering at Feast and Bene. I will share your kind words with the team who makes this possible as I am sure they will be happy to know their hard work doesn’t go unnoticed.
We do regret about the fit and finish issues and our team is working to fix these to bring a better experience for your future visit.

Warmest regard,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed here from January 10th - January 14th, using SPG cash and points and a suite updgrade. I called a week before to book a pick up at the airport and called the morning of our arrival to confirm. We were greeted by the hotel's airport representative and was welcomed at the hotel's entrance lobby with traditional Balinese music and dance. Although, this was a nice touch, it feel a bit mechanical. Upon checking in, We were given room 4010, an ocean front suite, which was devided by Kuta Street from the actual beach and the actual ocean. The room is spacious, beautifully designed and clean but have several minor problems that made this ocean suite room 4010 seemed unready to welcome guest's arrival. After settling in for a couple of days, I made the effort to speak with two different hotel's personnel at the front desk about these minor problems. Among the things I point out to the two hotel's front desk employees were that there were 3 drawers that are missing a handle in the suite's living room, the were scuff marks on wall edges in the room, the balcony glass light fixture which was only glued in instead of screwed in was wobbling precariously from the first two nights of gusty winds, there was a piece of rubber dangling from the glass roof cover over the balcony and that the placement of the handle on the glass door in the bathroom seemed odd. Additionally, I told them that I think for a hotel in a lush tropical island like Bali, the hotel's hallways are devoid of any plants and greenery, which make it feel cold and uninviting. One thing that I forget to mention to the hotel's staff was that both of us think the breakfast was tasteless. Apart from the fact that they have a wide variety of offerance for breakfast. At Santika Premiere in Kuta, where I had often stayed in the past, they have smaller variety of offering for breakfast but everything were tasty and well prepared. Having born in Indonesia and living there until my early teens, I know that Indonesian foods are supposed to be full of flavor and bold. However, apart from, the tasteless breakfast, lack of greenery, and a few monor problems with the room, I think the Sheraton Kuta will be able to refine itself in the future. Despite these problems, Sheraton Kuta, provide a good option in Bali for Starwoods loyal customers. It's location is convenient to a lot of things in Kuta, it is located next to the new and chic Beach Walk open air Mall, and it is another good alternative for the upper middle class travelers in Bali.

Room Tip: The hotel's wing facing the pool and the one right next to the Beach walk seem to be the most re...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Charles A
Dear Charles A,
First and foremost thank you for staying with Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay. We take our guest’s feedback very seriously and together with the team we are reviewing each point in detail from the room items to the public area finishing. We will definitely look it our breakfast offerings more closely, as we have had some great feedback so far and our Color Your Plate varieties program has guided us to provide a healthier eating guidance for guests.
Thank you again for your kind understanding and I look forward to reconnecting with you in the near future.
Dario Orsini
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Hard Rock Hotel Bali
Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel
The Kuta Beach Heritage Hotel Bali - Managed by Accor
Four Points by Sheraton Bali Kuta
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort? Share your experiences!